• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC PC Crash during KF2

Hi all,

Desperate for help because I have at this point tried just about everything.

KF2 causes my entire PC to crash on a sporadic basis - sometimes after 5 min, sometimes after 40 minutes - sometimes during the round, sometimes whilst trading.

Screen just instantly turns black, there is a small beep from my PC, and I need to power cycle to reboot.

I would normally be thinking PSU, or Overheating, but...

Things I have tried this far:

Prime95 + Furmark 3 hour burn test.
Verifying the game cache
Uninstalling + Reinstalling
Changing things in the .ini files
Turning NVIDIA Flex on, off, to CPU, to GPU.
Updating all drivers.
Updating my Bios
"Testing" the witcher 3 for many hours (great game, highly recommend).

I7 - 7700k
GTX 1070
16Gb RAM
Windows 10

Before I just straight up commit to reinstalling Win10, does anyone have any similar experiences or any ideas what to do next?

Is your computer overclocked? KF 2 is the best tool to check for overclocking stability. You can be fine in many benchmarking tools but KF 2 will get you that last bit of extras needed to have a failure due to bad overclocking. If it is overclocked, get back to standard values, and test.

Neither the CPU nor the GPU are overclocked.

My PC is a small-form-factor build with an AC-DC powerbrick and a DC-DC powersupply (somewhat like a laptop), but surely if the PC can handle 100% simultaneous CPU and GPU load it should be sufficient.

When in game, my CPU and GPU usage reads at sub 30%, with occasional spikes to ~40%.

Happy to try an underclock if you can suggest whether it would be CPU stress or GPU stress?

Upvote 0
Reducing voltage will not make the situation better, it is the opposite. You could try to underCLOCK but you shouldn't have to.

It is weird that your CPU and GPU is near 30% usage though. One or the other should probably nearly max out in usage, that may be a symptom of your problem (or maybe you're using the lowest settings with a low framerate cap?).

EDIT: for your log, this is because the engine writes logs in 'chunks' instead of 'realtime' that means that it often does not write the end of the log file if it doesn't crash 'cleanly'.

EDIT 2: maybe have a look at the power management in your Windows and see how it is configured.

EDIT 3: OK if you simply use V-sync even in ULTRA it will not use lot of resources GPU/CPU wise. If you unlock framerate and do not use V-sync it will use as most resources as possible. Here is my computer when playing almost full ULTRA but with V-sync (the game is running on the second virtual desktop, online Suicidal with 6 players):

Screenshot_20200201_174749.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reducing voltage will not make the situation better, it is the opposite. You could try to underCLOCK but you shouldn't have to.

It is weird that your CPU and GPU is near 30% usage though. One or the other should probably nearly max out in usage, that may be a symptom of your problem (or maybe you're using the lowest settings with a low framerate cap?).

EDIT: for your log, this is because the engine writes logs in 'chunks' instead of 'realtime' that means that it often does not write the end of the log file if it doesn't crash 'cleanly'.

EDIT 2: maybe have a look at the power management in your Windows and see how it is configured.

EDIT 3: OK if you simply use V-sync even in ULTRA it will not use lot of resources GPU/CPU wise. If you unlock framerate and do not use V-sync it will use as most resources as possible. Here is my computer when playing almost full ULTRA but with V-sync (the game is running on the second virtual desktop, online Suicidal with 6 players):

View attachment 2334862

Interesting.

I underclocked and undervolted when I had the issue.

Overclocked and still had the same issues (after further burn tests).

When discussing with a friend, we troubleshooted by turning all settings to lowest, and then selectively turning settings on until they crashed.

At the moment, I've narrowed the issue down to a combination of (cannot narrow down to a single setting):

• Realtime Reflections
  • Motion Blur
  • Ambient Occ
  • Volumetric Lighting FX
  • Lens Flare
  • Light Shafts.
As soon as Realtime reflections is turned on, the game starts crashing again, but some combination of the other settings also seems to trigger the crashes.

Upvote 0
Realtime Reflection is a video setting that hits hard the resources.

Something possible, a long time ago a friend of mine had to upgrade his video card firmware to be able to run some of his games, maybe your video card also has an issue that could be fixed by doing so? It is 'dangerous' to upgrade your video card firmware but if you have the technical skill maybe look if your vendor has updates for your card?

EDIT: are you using FLEX? If yes (I think so) disable it completely and try maybe? Also disable Vsync BUT do not unlock framerate (it should auto limit the max FPS to 62).

Upvote 0