• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Payday: The Heist

mamoo

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
East Sussex, England
Seems funny to me there's no thread about this game already, what with it having a fair bit of publicity for a source mod.

I really like the L4D style play mixed with bank jobbing, a very good and unique game as far as I'm concerned.

Also, try playing as Wolf and calling Hoxton over, just to hear the funny nicknames :p

I have not played it and I very much doubt I ever will. It looks a bit like Kane & Lynch meets Left 4 Dead, except Kane & Lynch was not so much about the details heist so much as it was about betraying your partners in crime and escaping with the most loot.

I fail to see the longevity of a game like this, but then again, I don't understand why people are still playing Left 4 Dead so maybe I'm not the one to ponder upon it.

Upvote 0
It's easy to pick up if you've played Left 4 Dead, many of its mechanics have been adopted and some new have been added. I've played 4 of the 6 heists and they can be challenging, especially getting to your getaway. There are a variety of cops/SWAT with different abilities, like tasers, smoke, sharpshooters, ballistic shields etc.
I'd guess each heist takes about 20-30 minutes to beat on the normal setting. There's two higher difficulties, level unlocks and achievements if you care for that. The devs are pretty active on the Steam forums keeping the players informed about patches. I'm pretty sure there will be DLC somewhere down the road, but probably not for free.

If you have buddies to play with or ever wanted to rob a bank it's a good game.

Upvote 0
Great game! It's not an AMAZING game, but it's a fun, challenging game that doesn't disappoint you by e.g. making false promises like a lot of smaller games do today. Well worth the money, I say, and it's got DLC on the horizon. (is it "free DLC" or normal DLC? I never heard the details)

Upvote 0
As I said in another thread:

Wait for Payday to go on sale. AI is horrid (mainly teammate AI), little to no cohesive story (just a bunch of random missions you can replay whenever), gets really repetitive if you play any more than one level or have to play through a level again in one sitting.

Meh, those things don't really count that much IMO. It sucks when teammate AI sucks in games, but that's why you play with friends, and sometimes I quite like the idea of a game that isn't about story as they often focus on the core fun part and then we can enjoy those missions whenever we want, with said core funness. :IS2:

The lack of checkpoints in missions like Heat Street really boils my piss, though. :mad:

Upvote 0
Wait for Payday to go on sale. AI is horrid (mainly teammate AI), little to no cohesive story (just a bunch of random missions you can replay whenever), gets really repetitive if you play any more than one level or have to play through a level again in one sitting.

So basically L4D minus the story. About what I expected. I'll pick it up on sale if I can convince a few friends to get too.

Upvote 0
Oh I dunno. I found L4D1&2 became incredibly repetitive if you died on a level and had to replay it. It's honestly what made me stop playing Co-Op. If PTH is even more repetitive....yeah.
At least with L4D1/2 you had the AI director that changed things up. So far, the only things I've seen different in PTH have been the location of a few key people in missions and a couple of other small things. Very little variation.

Upvote 0
It's an indie company and the game isn't full price so cut them some slack. Isn't that the mantra that echoes through this forum? Of course the game isn't perfect but at least it's trying something new instead of being another rhythm game or a modern war shooter. Look on the bright side, it's not bugged out the ***, doesn't need a NASA computer to run and even the progression system works. :D

Upvote 0
I heard from someone who played it that you get stormed by trigger happy police even after taking hostages. Is this an accurate description of how the game works?

Unfortunately that's the main thing I didn't like about the game, hostages don't really play a role save for trading them in for teammates who've been taken into custody (which is dying).

I would have liked it if shooting a hostage showed the police you mean business instead of just giving you a ten second negotiating penalty.

Also, it kinda sucks that I have three hostages all tied up, when a taser nabs me in the back end and I accidentally shoot every single one, that's 30 seconds respawn penalty ffs!

Upvote 0