• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Patches and Webadmin

If you use the -configsubdir parameter on your server command line that launches your game, eg -configsubdir=Ro2DEDpublic , then your ini files are copied into rogame\config\Ro2DEDpublic when the game next starts/restarts.

When you do a hlds update to the rogame, only the default ini files are updated. This seems to work for us.

Thats what our GSP has setup on ours, and our configs never overwrite :)

Upvote 0
Also you might want to think about not putting anything into the roserver.bat file, or even calling it , as this may get replaced on a hlds update. Instead use your parameters in the command line for your game, if your using Fire Daemon, you would have:

Program: C:\services\RO2HOS\binaries\win32\rogame.exe

Working Dir: C:\services\RO2HOS

Parameters: TE-Apartments?adminpassword=mysecretpassword -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=1.2.3.4 -port=7777 -log=MyServer.log -configsubdir=MyConfigDir -preferprocessor=1

(Where 1.2.3.4 is your actual ip address)

This way your settings will not be over-written by a hlds update to roserver.bat . Do check the bat file after any updates to see if there have been changes to the parameters.

Doing this will mean you can update your server with the minimum downtime;)

Upvote 0
I'm new to the UE3 engine, so I want to make sure I understand this.

Can you call the update directory anything you want? In Puggy's example below he uses rogame\config\Ro2DEDpublic... but the actual folder can be called whatever I want?

If, for example, I were to call our public server config directory "RO2pubserver" I would just use the following in the launch string:

C:\RO2\ro2server.bat FF-Apartments?minplayers=0?maxplayers=32 -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=1.2.3.4 -port=7777 -log=MyServerLog.log -PREFERPROCESSOR=1 -configsubdir=RO2pubserver

So each time I start the server, the then-current settings are saved to the RO2pubserver folder? And then any updates through the hlds tool update only the default server files, leaving my tweaked files as-is?

Is there something different/additional you need to do in order to properly update the game files after downloading the updates?

Just an hour ago I finally got our server properly running, so I want to make sure I don't do something that hoses everything. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Upvote 0
Greg,

thats right. At game launch, the parameter -configsubdir= determines where the configs are stored. This allows you to do a number of things, including having multiple games running from the same set of files, but with different configs. You do need to keep track of your tweaks in your set of config files though.

When you do hlds updates, keep a log of what files were in the update. If some of your tweaked files have changed, eg rogame.ini, then at least your file was not over written by the update. Though you may have to incorporate your tweaks into the new file. This is what we do with our updates, you will need full access to your servers, a windows login.

This way of handling the ini files works best for the web admin files, because some poeple have had their ini files overwritten, resetting passwords back to defaults, not a good thing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification, puggy. A couple of follow-up questions for you:

Which files need to be moved to the newly created config subdirectory? I copied ROGame, ROMultiAdmin, ROWeb, and ROWebAdmin (basically all of the ini files I noticed being changed when I ran the server). And do they simply need to be copied? Or do they need to me moved entirely?

I'm assuming I've done something wrong because none of those four files in the newly created subdirectory were updated after I restarted the server. The date/time modifed for those four files is all between 1:56pm and 3:10pm on 18 Sept. But after playing on the server last night I see in the config directory that the last modified dates for ROGame is 8:42pm on 18 Sept and ROMultiAdmin at 7:27pm on 18 Sept. (The last modified dates for ROWeb and ROWebAdmin in the config directory are the same as the dates for those two files in the config subdirectory.)

I added the -configsubdir=RO2PubServer flag to the end of my launch string (desktop shortcut). But it looks like the game isn't using the files in the config subdirectory I created at C:\RO2\rogame\config\RO2PubServer. Is that because I copied those files to the subdirectory rather than moving them entirely?

And this may be a question for a different thread, but is there anything I need to do in the Web Admin to point to the new config subdirectory? I noticed that some of the changes I made yesterday via the Web Admin did make it into the ROGame file (the one in the config directory, but not in my RO2PubServer subdirectory), but other changes did not. For example, the server password (I locked it down for testing) and the Welcome Page info shows in the file, but the newly created map rotation and some gametype tweaks do not.

Thanks again, puggy!

Upvote 0
Greg,

do not copy any config files, the game will do it. If you add a parameter -configsubdir=RO2pubserver to the command line and start the game, it will create the sub-directory and copy the default files into it and create a fresh copy. Then stop the game and look in RO2pubserver you will see the new ini files. You can edit them or use the WebAdmin tool.

If you have more than one server runnig, and hence more than one set of config sub dirs, you will need to edit the ROweb.ini file for each game instance, as each will need its own web server and set of ini files. You will need to change the port number with this line ListenPort=8080 to a unique port for each server, eg ListenPort=8081. There maybe other port settings that need to be changed for other listen/query ports, but I have not done this so far.

Another use for -configsubdir=RO2pubserver is if you want to load up different configs or settings, I do this to test before and after any patches/updates etc.

Upvote 0
Ah, okay. I'll redo that this evening when I'm home from work. Does the Web Admin get pointed to the subdirectory files because -configsubdir=RO2pubserver flag directs it there? Or is there something I need to change within the Web Admin tool to make sure it's pointed to the right files?

I'll dink with it this evening for certain. Thanks again for the insight!

~ Greg ~

Upvote 0
The Web admin "finds" the game based on the ip address -multihome=1.2.3.4 and the port number ListenPort=8080 in ROweb.ini you dont need to do anything else.

Play around with it on your pc first though!

Yeah, I understand the IP/port angle, but wasn't sure how the Web Admin interface knows to look in the non-default file location (i.e. not where ROWeb.ini is expected to be).

I'll be sure to create back-up copies of my files before I start tinkering, though... just to be safe. :)

Thanks again, puggy!

~ Greg ~

Upvote 0
No luck. I got rid of the RO2pubserver folder I had created, made sure the root Ro2 folder and subfolders/files were not read-only, ran the hlds tool, and then started the server as before with the following:

C:\RO2\ro2server.bat FF-Apartments?minplayers=0?maxplayers=32 -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=1.2.3.4 -port=7777 -log=MyServerLog.log -PREFERPROCESSOR=1 -configsubdir=RO2pubserver

I tried running it through the desktop shortcut, but it did not create the subdirectory. I tried running it by entering the string directly in the command line window, but no luck. The server did start both times, but in neither instance was the new config subdirectory created.

I must be missing something simple. This is the first time I've run a server with this engine... any ideas?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Upvote 0
I edited the bat file directly as suggested (changed the IP of course) and I got all sorts of warnings (failed to load all the weapons from the looks of it in the logs) and wasn't able to see the server. I went back to the previous version of the bat file and the server came back up. On the plus side, editing the bat file directly did result in the subdirectory being created, so that's good.

I'm also running Fire Daemon and I think I recall seeing your suggested setting for that manager, so I'll go back and start using FD for the game, too, to see if that helps.

I shall mess around with it some more tomorrow night.

Thanks again, puggy!

~ Greg ~

Upvote 0
... if your using Fire Daemon...

Okay, I tried using FireDaemon with the following info:

Executable:
C:\RO2\binaries\win32\rogame.exe

Working Directory:
C:\RO2

Parameters:
TE-FallenFighters?minplayers=0?maxplayers=32 -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=208.107.218.224 -port=7777 -log=MyServerLog.log -PREFERPROCESSOR=1 -configsubdir=RO2Pub

(As an aside, is there any way to use FireDaemon an still have the command window visible while the server is running? It seems to always start in the background when using FD.)

I'm running into the same problem as last night when I tried running the game after editing the RO2server bat file directly. The proper subdirectory does get created and the server sort of starts, but I get all sorts of errors in the logs and the server does not appear on the in-game browser. The log file from a moment ago is below. Any suggestions? I definitely want to have the subdirectory in use to help save time with any updates/patches down the road, but not sure what the issue is here.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Note from admin - please post your log as a text file attachment rather than 1000+ lines of text in your forum post :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0