• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Patch for AI anyone?

The_Emperor

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2009
Milkyway
The big patch is out for the beta but I wonder if there's anything happening with the AI. I can hardly describe the awesomeness of getting killed by a bot sprinting away from me across the square on Fallen Fighters and headshooting me at a distance of approx. 100m with his back turned to me.

I can tell tehre's been various discussions on this issue on the forums but neither Tripwire found it worth answering a question of their community nor anything has happened ever since. Bots keep popping your melon from distances players can only dream of and a

The big patch is out for the beta but I wonder if there's anything happening with the AI. I can hardly describe the awesomeness of getting killed by a bot sprinting away from me across the square on Fallen Fighters and headshooting me at a distance of approx. 100m with his back turned to me.

I can tell tehre's been various discussions on this issue on the forums but neither Tripwire found it worth answering a question of their community nor anything has happened ever since. Bots keep popping your melon from distances players can only dream of and a

Upvote 0
That's actually a server setting. If they set the server game difficulty is set to Recruit, then the AIs a rather stupid and won't aimbot that much. But they will be easy to be killed too. Also will the tank AI be less accurate. However most servers have set that to Hero. The AIs are then good in making aimbot kills ;)

I just wonder why all CoD series games have it an AI that is challenging but yet fair. The thing about Hero AI is that many times you can still pick them off like the biggest moron alive and on other occasions where no one (except those dickless cheaters) can see you, they frag the hell out of you.

There's a lot of whiners here about balancing and so on. I do wonder why no one has yet opened his mouth and addressed the AI. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I just wonder why all CoD series games have it an AI that is challenging but yet fair. The thing about Hero AI is that many times you can still pick them off like the biggest moron alive and on other occasions where no one (except those dickless cheaters) can see you, they frag the hell out of you.

There's a lot of whiners here about balancing and so on. I do wonder why no one has yet opened his mouth and addressed the AI. :rolleyes:

I think less attention was given to the AI by TWI because they didn't predict that there would be a lot of them running around on the servers. If you make a multi-player game, then you mostly will assume that human players will fill up the servers. Personally I would also not have given them much attention :D.

Upvote 0
I think less attention was given to the AI by TWI because they didn't predict that there would be a lot of them running around on the servers. If you make a multi-player game, then you mostly will assume that human players will fill up the servers. Personally I would also not have given them much attention :D.

True statement, BUT: 1) there's singleplayer "campaigns" 2) they should have gained enough attention to be not cheating.

See if you are playing a singleplayer mission and get killed because the bots snipe you from the Townhall while you are at the Gullies (little exxaggeration) this is hardly fun.

In the end, yes, for a multiplayer game you don't have a perfect AI but at least that average no one will complain about them to be too "skilled".

Upvote 0
True statement, BUT: 1) there's singleplayer "campaigns" 2) they should have gained enough attention to be not cheating.

See if you are playing a singleplayer mission and get killed because the bots snipe you from the Townhall while you are at the Gullies (little exxaggeration) this is hardly fun.

2nd floor townhall has some windows where you can look into the gullies. A good human snipper can kill you too from that location. There is no cheating needed for that.

In the end, yes, for a multiplayer game you don't have a perfect AI but at least that average no one will complain about them to be too "skilled".

Programming a perfect AI is a pain in the ... Sure they could give the AI there full attention and forget the performance issues or the requested RO classic mode. But then...
I only want to point out that it's a matter of priorities and choices. It will be hard for them to satisfy everybody and I think most people would prefer better performance and more realistic game play (with human players) above a perfect AI.

Upvote 0
Well dont "troll" them. But let them know what you want. Keep this thread and other like it alive with constructive discussion on bots.

And express your opinion to them.

Also, what do people think of a co-op mode? I asked Ramn if there would ever be one and he said people weren't asking for one. Do you think the buggy AI and single player are the reason? If these things were improved, I think co-op would sell a LOT of copies of this game. :)

Upvote 0
Well dont "troll" them. But let them know what you want. Keep this thread and other like it alive with constructive discussion on bots.

And express your opinion to them.

Also, what do people think of a co-op mode? I asked Ramn if there would ever be one and he said people weren't asking for one. Do you think the buggy AI and single player are the reason? If these things were improved, I think co-op would sell a LOT of copies of this game. :)

Unfortunately, there are those ROOSTers who insist upon trolling the Devs. It sad to see.
A CO-OP mode would cater to today's consumer/player. Which is precisely what RO2 was/is all about as is easily realized, the ROOSTers have moaned and groaned to a point where a "classic" mode is being worked up. While serious trubs like the compiler in the SDK, redirect functionality are taking a back seat.​
There are times when the "squeaky wheel" must be tolerated while more urgent problems are addressed. For me, classic mode is fine but in all truthfulness, if I want to play RO I'll boot up RO and play it.

I like and fully enjoy RO2 and would love to see it refined and polished. At this rate, all I can be is patient.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there are those ROOSTers who insist upon trolling the Devs. It sad to see.

I like and fully enjoy RO2 and would love to see it refined and polished. At this rate, all I can be is patient.

So, sharing your opinion and pointing out that I miss any word(s) by the Dev's on certain issues is trolling? Well, maybe it is indeed and we should all just pretend that RO2 is bugfree and has no negative issues at all. :rolleyes:
(This is what I truely would believe to be trolling the Dev's)

The question on AI and reworking them that one could ask is: Why wasn't it done in a good way the first time? No interest? Lack of time?

But looking back doesn't help much, looking forward and improving things from the past is the idea. I don't know what kind of servers you are playing on with AI never killing you from point blank. I get killed by them frequently at locations a human player a) couldn't see me, b) couldn't turn around so fast, c) couldn't shoot me with his back turned to me etc.

I don't mind them shooting me in plain sight, a human player would get me there too. But the fact that a bot is running at the end of the road (far down) and you just lean out of cover and he instantly pops your melon is absolutely bs. You won't tell me that you recognize someone leaning out from cover while you are sprinting at 90

Upvote 0
So, sharing your opinion and pointing out that I miss any word(s) by the Dev's on certain issues is trolling? Well, maybe it is indeed and we should all just pretend that RO2 is bugfree and has no negative issues at all. :rolleyes:
(This is what I truely would believe to be trolling the Dev's)

I agrea that there is nothing trolling about pointing out some issues. If we would never point them out, then the forum would become a useless rosegarden.
However there are some that do directly flame at the devs as if they are doing nothing. In my opinion that's a bit unfair to the devs. If I look back at how the game was at release date and how it is now, then the devs have made major steps in improving the games stability and performance. And this was done with only a handfull of developers. Sure they could have spend all there time in solving other issues like optimizing the AI, but what good would it have done if we had a perfect AI with a game that would run at max 40 FPS and that would crash after every second map? With a small devs team things have to be taken step by step. This means some issues can take long before they will be fixed. However this doesn't mean that those issues don't have the devs attention.

The question on AI and reworking them that one could ask is: Why wasn't it done in a good way the first time? No interest? Lack of time?
---SNIP---

Take a look here at this post: [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1053102#post1053102[/URL]

I guess your answer is there.

Upvote 0
I agrea that there is nothing trolling about pointing out some issues. If we would never point them out, then the forum would become a useless rosegarden.
However there are some that do directly flame at the devs as if they are doing nothing. In my opinion that's a bit unfair to the devs. If I look back at how the game was at release date and how it is now, then the devs have made major steps in improving the games stability and performance. And this was done with only a handfull of developers. Sure they could have spend all there time in solving other issues like optimizing the AI, but what good would it have done if we had a perfect AI with a game that would run at max 40 FPS and that would crash after every second map? With a small devs team things have to be taken step by step. This means some issues can take long before they will be fixed. However this doesn't mean that those issues don't have the devs attention.

Take a look here at this post: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1053102#post1053102[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1053102#post1053102[/URL]

I guess your answer is there.

Thanks for sharing this info. I just wonder why this is not in a sticky info thread, so everyone can clearly see that this issue is known and that they are currently short on manpower doing so.

Upvote 0