• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Parry/Guard is broken, I mean, really...

Alex)(Andra

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2015
Category: Code, animation, other, whatever you want.

Reproducibility: Sometimes

Summary: In some maps, some place, on some servers, you can't guard/parry.

Description: Ok, here we go... I know a lot of people have reported this, but I had to show you my video of the perfect example of "PARRY IS BROKEN GOD DAMMIT" : https://youtu.be/qaTK0uSTeLI

I know it's a custom map on a custom server, but this was the most relevant situation I had.
This, can happen everywhere, everytime, and you're not able to predict when this will happen.
As I said in the "summary", it depends of the map (official map are, of course, included), your location on the map, and if you're online. (No problem offline).
As you see, I have >only< 50ms ping, so the problem is not the ping, it's something else, and this need to be fixed ASAP.

Even worse, as you can see sometimes in the video, not only the parry is broken, I still get FULL damage when I guard ! How amazing :D *sarcasm*
Watch at 2:00 for an explicit example.

Oh and, go to 2:51 to see I don't suck at parrying, it's just completely broken.

Online/Offline: Online only. Not only on this server of course, happened to me on ranked servers too.

Last edited:
The next wave I launched FRAPS and recorded it : https://youtu.be/hdSS0VXsuVw
I died on this same place (previous post)

Please devs, tell me if you need something else... Is this video enough ?
Ranked server of course ↓
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
What I notice is that it goes on and off, someone on steam posted that if it's not working try reloading the last recently used ranged weapon and that should fix it. I noted that alt+tabbing out and back in fixed it for me, of course it might just be the server.

In any case always try and parry a clot first to see the status of your parry/block before trying on the big guys.

I'm still looking into why this happens if it is a server thing or if it's related to weapon reloading as someone posted on steam.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

As you can see, I already switched weapon on the second video (I wanted to kill that bloody siren), then switched back to the knife. Was unable to parry before and after.
Maybe a longer switch... Interesting, I'll test it.

But I'm 100% sure your location on the map is one of the reasons. I tried several times, and there is really "non-parry zone" on some maps.

Upvote 0
Took a look at the video, I think it's not just a wep switch you need to shoot and reload a last previously used weapon. Of course I haven't tried it myself it was just a recommended solution someone came up with on the steam forums. If it is something triggering it and not just the server deciding to give or take your ability to parry then at least we'll all have one way to be more confident in being the designated parrier. I really dislike it when one wave earlier the parry's are "working" (even if ~100ms late) and then the next wave it completely just doesn't work. That's why for now I always test on a trash mob and lose ~15 armor instead of going for it on a scrake and dying.

Upvote 0
I can confirm with 75% certainty that if you don't use any guns/ranged weapons the parry/blocking has no issue at all. I ran 2 maps with friends on HoE and the only weapons I used were Crovel and Pulv. Both weapons did not have any problems with timings at all. Tested one wave on a clot and then didn't bother on later waves and everything was parryable.

Upvote 0
BUMP...

What's the status of the bug ? Did you find any solution ?

Oh and BTW Shuu, it's not only the Parry, the guard is broken too.
You still take full damage when you guard when you have the bug.

Same report as previously : There is some specific areas where the bug is more likely to happen. When you move away from that area, parry is not broken anymore. If you move in again, parry is broken again.

So, what's the status ?

Upvote 0
How the "broken blocking/parrying" occurs

How the "broken blocking/parrying" occurs

1. this problem only happens online.
2. no it is not "random" I have tested it plenty of times
3. It only happens in specific locations of the map

For Ex: When playing online on Biotics Lab, there are two locations (maybe more areas I haven't discovered yet) that will always brake blocking/parrying and those areas/rooms are the initial spawn area and the testing room, go into those areas and you'll see your blocking/parrying will not work. Go into any other room and your blocking/parrying will be back to normal and work perfectly fine. hope this somewhat helped

Upvote 0
I really hope this is already being worked on for the next game update, happens to me way too often, I mean parrying/blocking Hans for example as zerker is vital for online play and his two strongest melee attacks are crucial points between life and death, since those can even insta kill you... and its no good when the parry/block system decides to turn off/on at "random" and ultimately troll you out. :(

Upvote 0
This big issue is still present even after the return of the patriarch update... I also experienced it not working in some locations on both of the new maps, Farmhouse near the entrance to the barn, Black Forest near one of the trader pots, as usual solo/offline it works perfectly everywhere, please fix this already :(

Upvote 0