• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Parry/Block System

Sir Wagglepuss III

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 24, 2015
Hey guys, I've had a little snoop around on the forums and haven't really found much concrete info as to how the Parry/Block system actually works.

So, either I'm blind or I'm thinking that it'd be good to have a quick reference point as to how the Parry/Block system works.

As of this moment, I'm not entirely sure what the exact point in an enemy animation is that you should start blocking to make for a parry. Do you start blocking as they start their attack, or do you start as it about to connect? Is it handled client side or server side, and how should you compensate your timing if it is server side? How much damage reduction do you get with blocking compared to parrying? Does your level affect your ability to parry certain enemies on certain difficulties or is it a blanket feature?

As people post I'll update this main post should it be necessary. Alternatively, I can just be pointed at a currently existing post that I've overlooked. :p

The parry window starts up instantly after you press the block button and lasts about 1 second (or so I've read, might be shorter). This parry window has to be active as the zed lands his hit on you, and the zed will be parried.

The parry is calculated server side, so I'm guessing you will have to compensate parrying earlier proportional to your lag. (Not sure about this).

I've read that blocking gives a 50% damage reduction, whereas parrying gives around 90%+ depending on the size of the weapon and the zed attacking you.

Level and class does not affect parry, nor does difficulty from my experience.

Hey guys, I've had a little snoop around on the forums and haven't really found much concrete info as to how the Parry/Block system actually works.

So, either I'm blind or I'm thinking that it'd be good to have a quick reference point as to how the Parry/Block system works.

As of this moment, I'm not entirely sure what the exact point in an enemy animation is that you should start blocking to make for a parry. Do you start blocking as they start their attack, or do you start as it about to connect? Is it handled client side or server side, and how should you compensate your timing if it is server side? How much damage reduction do you get with blocking compared to parrying? Does your level affect your ability to parry certain enemies on certain difficulties or is it a blanket feature?

As people post I'll update this main post should it be necessary. Alternatively, I can just be pointed at a currently existing post that I've overlooked. :p

Upvote 0