• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Overpenetration

Lacedaemonius

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
It's happened to the best of us:
You're rocking Biolabs or Offices or Biohazard on Suicidal or even HoE when suddenly a lone clot and couple of crawlers attack the back door you welded. You warned that lvl 2 commando that no one will votekick to stay away from it but the bastard just wouldn't listen, and now you'll have to break off from the rest of your team every 20 sec to reweld it, inevitably drawing more specimens to the door until suddenly there's 2 fronts and your team just can't regain control and OH **** A FLESHPOUND
YOUR SQUAD WAS WIPED OUT
Fear not though, good netizens, for I have a solution! Now IRL, shots fired don't just stop and explode with the first thing they touch. Rather, they have a tendency to go through that, through the wall behind it, through the wall behind that, and through the neighbor across the street. So why not apply that to welded doors?

What I'm thinking is that high damage weapons can penetrate doors (shotgun, coach gun, xbow, scar, and deagle brand deagle) and do slight damage to whatever's on the other side, at the cost of doing damage to the door. I think that a full 30% damage to a door at point-blank with the coach gun would be good, with various percentages for different weapons. Thoughts?

@Robot
While I agree that it would be awesome to have the possibility to modify the values, I think it would be very easy to create leveling maps by allowing doors that don't block weapon damage and have stupid amounts of door hp or even spawn welded up.

@Lacedaemonius
To make it fair, since you are shooting through a door and specs would have a lot more trouble damaging it, any shot fired into the door should damage it.

Upvote 0
how would the function touch code be modified to go through doors?

I'd imagine it'd be on a per-weapon basis. Smaller projectiles (pellets etc.) could be coded to pass through certain objects. Weapons that use traces (ie. bullet-type weapons that don't use projectiles) could be all handled from the KFFire type, apart from those which already have penetration (Deagle, others?) which might have to be modified separately. Shouldn't be a lot of work though.

would it be possible to specify for material type? (texture, ie: wood, plaster, glass, etc.)

Yes, and I think most doors already have the correct material set (or at least a decent mapper would set the correct type, since you don't want it to sound like you're shooting wood when you're shooting a door).

Upvote 0
Personally I disagree because I think it would make things too easy. Some doors you can shoot through (like on biolabs, there's a hole in some of them), but where there isn't, it's something you have to factor in when you weld.

just was I was thinking. lots of times i tend to weld the dubble door on biolab that have the 2 round windows on top of the door. and when it starts to fill up i tell my friend that have the tube as a 3e wep to back up and shot through the window at the roof. may not be the best why but its fun to do when your bored:p

And I don't like the shooting through the door thing if there is no window=/ It will bring to much abuse to it!

Upvote 0
so, you know how based on material type (in texture properties) if it specified to a certain surface (wood, water, glass, poop- lol, it's a real option!) then the hit emitters are changed to reflect that.
maybe someone can code penetration damage (or no penetration if certain material) based on material type? like wood = 50% damage reduction after penetration, maybe even change the lifetime/speed of projectiles to reflect that too.

Upvote 0
Open, kill and weld again - what's the problem? Otherwise players could just weld themselves in the room and shoot though the welded door for an entire game.
Problem is that all too oft the 3rd or 4th time you unweld a door a clot just happens to hit it when it's at 0% and the door breaks down. imho there needs to be some restructuring of door functions for that to be a consistently reliable tactic

Upvote 0
Open, kill and weld again - what's the problem? Otherwise players could just weld themselves in the room and shoot though the welded door for an entire game.

I like the idea, however it might make the game a little too easy. I think it'd work with barricades that don't respawn at all during the game, so you'd want to use the technique wisely.
This is my point i'll be making. Making it so you can shoot through welded doors makes it pointless of having the welding there to be honest. TO me, welding is there to stop them from coming to you, that is it and not make it possible to shoot them while they're stuck.

I like your idea but I think this needs to be placed on specific door types for example glass, woord and like benjamin said, it needs to take damage from your shots too. This would need lots of balancing to be done if ever someone was to think of allowing this. I'd just do what Robot said, leave it to the authors of maps to decide ;)

Upvote 0