• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Overhead Map and Mapzone Textures

Where do I modify the offset for the mapzone textures? I took a screenshot of the map in the SDK, then made my textures so they cover the Objectivevolumes, but in-game they are smaller and offset.

How do I make Mapzone Textures that line up on hte objectives?

Swag explained it somewhere in a topic made by Wolverine. I searched for it yesterday but didn't find it. I did it with trial and error. So make it test and adjust.

Its easy to make an overhead map. But to align it is a pain in the ***.
At some areas of my map it align well but on the oppotite site its not really correct. I don't know what cause it. Possibly step 5

Zoom the view port in until the ROMapBoundsVolume takes up the entirety of the view port
Vertical my screen is filled ROMapBoundsVolume but the horizonal part isn't.

They are working to get that File:Overhead Template.rar back online as the link won't work.

Upvote 0
I found the post Swag did to explain how to do it.

This should definitely be added to the wiki imo

1) Make a builder brush large enough to cover the entire play area in increments of 1024
2) Maximize a viewport (or tear one off, whichever) and set it to TOP view (ALT-G) in LIT mode
3) Zoom the view so that the builder brush is framing the majority of the viewport. ** DO NOT MOVE THE VIEWPORT **
4) Press and HOLD F9 and click in the viewport. That takes a screen shot.
5) In the viewport, Press G to put it into game rendering mode
6) Press and HOLD F9 and click in the viewport. That will take another screenshot without the builder brush nor any of the world actors visible
7) Open the screenshot with the builder brush in your favorite image editing software. I use GiMP cuz it's the shizzit and free.
8) Use the guidelines to build a square along the builder brush
9) Open the other overhead image, select all, and paste it in the builder brush version of the image then flatten the image
10) Use the rectangle tool to select the image area using the guidelines
11) Crop the image to selection
12) Scale image to 1024x1024
13) Export it as a TGA to teh desktop
14) Import the image back into the editor and put it into the world properties
15) Use the existing builder brush from step 1 to create a ROVolumeMapBounds at about 7000UUs above the playspace
16) Save the map
17) Test that the overhead lines up to the actual play space. If it does, rock on. If it doesn't return to step 1 and do it right instead.

Upvote 0
I know how to make the overhead map. My question is how are the Mapzone Textures, the sets of dotted lines that surround objectives, scaled? They do not line up correctly on the overhead map.

My overhead map is fine. In each objective you can specify a Mapzone Texture overlay, it is 512 x 512 with an alpha channel. It will show the borders of each objective. The trouble is that they are scaled and offset somehow but I cannot find where that is specified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But where is the topic. I searched in Wolverine's post. Have to dig up Swag's posts. By the way I know where my overhead went wrong it was step 4 I missed. I did a screendump all the time. :D

4) Press and HOLD F9 and click in the viewport. That takes a screen shot.

Ok I found the post about the volumes

Nono, not the objective actor deal, the actual ROPlaceableVolume's origin. The image must be centered on the VOLUME.

To adjust it:

A) Copy the volume to a builder brush,
B) Turn on the brush editor mode
3) Move the origin of the builder brush based on the image offset you notice (if it's too far left, move it right. too far up, move it down. etc) by selecting all the vertices and using the gizmo to move them around
4) Make a new ROPlaceableVolume
5) Transfer all the information to the new volume
6) Link it to the objective

Alternatively you can bypass the builder brush parts by adjusting the volume itself but you will have to rebuild geometry for the volume to register correctly in the world during play.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1034979&postcount=13http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1034979&postcount=13

Upvote 0