• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Overcoming UE3 engine limitations?

Sorry about another thread so fast, but it isn't really related to any of the existing threads.

I'm curious on people's thoughts of how to get past UE3's issues with rendering realistic and interactive foliage, which will play a big role in the gameplay of a Pacific War mod.

I personally have seen some very good mappers try to make realistic looking foliage in EU3, and yet even their attempts don't quite make the cut for believability. I wonder how this mod team will overcome this and make realistic looking environments that also perform well on hardware? Is UE3.5 that much better at rendering this stuff?

Rendering a high quality vegetation isn't about on what kind of software you work. A good lvl Designer places some grass, some bushs, and some trees in the right place so that it gives a visual coherance to the scene.
Then, there is no real engine limitation on UE3 since you know with what you work. But I don't think that the aim of RO is to give a photorealistic rendering, interactive foliage isn't so hard to do (as we can see in crysis or FC2), but its a kind of waste some energy, to my mind.

Edit: Then, as drecks said, download the newest UDK version and have a look at the exemple map. There's no much limitation in UE3 than in any other engine, you just have to know your tools ;).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the larger UE3 hurdle will be to fight that over the top HDR bloom effect that rears its head in all UE3 games.
Well, its because it's a non-heavy post process effect, easy to handle, which is loved by every 12years old kevin, playing on their boxs. Thats also why famous game using UE3 features all same shaders giving awfull glossy effects (full of specularity). But that's easy to avoid ;).

Upvote 0
Last night I could'nt sleep so I woke up and thinked about making an interactive foliage.
YouTube - Interactive Foliage TEST UDK
That's the result. I did a fast skeleton mesh rigged on maya, created the good physic asset, and here is the result. Know it might need some other tweaks to look realistic. But thats, to my mind, to much performance consuming. Maybe i could create an animation and make it alive with matinee plugged into a trigger volume. But as you can see, no engine limitation to "interactive foliage".

Upvote 0
in my eyes super Interactive Foliage where you would be able to shoot off every leak is not needed.

but interaction with player models would be good..

Excatly, thats why I think giving a special animation to the foliage when the player is in it would be the best way of doing it: No physic processing.
But By the way, what I showed you also interact with the player ;). It is global collision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess my main motive for doubting the engine comes from not seeing any UE3 titles render true jungle environments before, and it always seemed to me like it did a better job of showing off really detailed interiors rather than exteriors.

Those UDK videos you guys posted definitely look impressive, and honestly I can say that if you didn't tell me I wouldn't know that they were of the UE3 engine!

Last edited:
Upvote 0