• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

overclocking and you

overclocking and you

• yes, mostly successful.

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • yes, but i encountered problems/fried some components.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • no, i don't dare to do it.

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters
le bemp.

Sandia cooler ( google it ) looks very interesting, especially for OCing. supposedly giving 10X better cooling than your average aftermarket huge brick cooler ( i think the comparison was towards a dynatron g950 ).

great find! kind of generates a small tornado above the heatsink and pushes the air out on the sides, gonna keep an eye open for those. i wonder when the first ones appear on the market, and how expensive they will be ;)

Sandia Cooler - YouTube

Upvote 0
great find! kind of generates a small tornado above the heatsink and pushes the air out on the sides, gonna keep an eye open for those. i wonder when the first ones appear on the market, and how expensive they will be ;)

Sandia Cooler - YouTube

You can be assured they will come out right after you do a new build and settle on alternate cooling solution. :D

Upvote 0
it works fine on its side, they've got some video of that somewhere.

As to cost, would you really care? a good watercooling setup is over 200$, the average brick cooler is 50-100$. if its anywhere in the price range of the average brick cooler and cools as well as they claim, they could literally take that market by storm. ( I think they are licensing it and selling it isntead of making it themselves though so you might see that type of cooler from a few makers ).

When it comes to OCing now you have two limits, thermal and power. IMO Thermal is what gets hit first more often, especially as chips get smaller and have to dissipate temps out of less surface space so better cooling is much more important.

Upvote 0
it works fine on its side, they've got some video of that somewhere.

What I mostly meant is how it works in consideration with other things. It sounds interesting, but when you have the case, airflow etc etc etc to consider, well I'd be curious to see how it works. I considered it obvious they probably have figured out the mounting already. :p

Upvote 0
you'd be surprised at how overly skeptical / ignorant some people are. I spent some time googling around looking for info on this and how soon we might see a commercial version. Most people were passing it off because of the loud motor, or the fact they did not see it working on its side, or because they don't know the difference between a fan and an impeller. ( Loud motor is even explained in the video .. sheesh.. ).

Upvote 0
I was thinking of trying it, though I doubt my motherboard will support it well. And I prefer stability over speed. Computers have enough issues as they are.

it depends on the hardware. a cpu with open multiplier won't stress your mainboard much. if you have to raise busclocks or voltages, that's another story. i've seen new hardware die without overclocking after a few weeks. i've seen an overclocked duron with a damaged edge run for over a decade without slowing down. the key to stable overclocking is looking for examples on the net, and comparing their results to yours (especially temperatures, when to raise the voltage etc.). you have to do some research, but there's lots of good examples out there.

Upvote 0