• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map 'Outskirts'

Alex_KF

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006
Hello KF forums ! It's been a while :)

Apart from making sharks eat things (www.depthgame.com) , I've lately also been working on a side project for KF. It's a mutator / game mode that is focused around deathmatch & building destruction.

Think of it like Killing Floor meets Red Faction ...

Rules of the 'Glasshouse' game mode

Both teams spawn with M79 grenade launchers and must blow up the opposing team's building floor by floor. Respawns are infinite, but each time a floor is destroyed you will spawn on the next available floor down. Once the last spawn area in your building is destroyed you will not be able to respawn if you die. Oh and i guess I should also mention that there are dozens of angry fleshpounds at street level .. :)

GH-Outskirts

outskirtsbeforeafer.jpg

Currently i'm only working on a single map for Glasshouse which is a proof of concept and a test-bed for my code. It's not particularly pretty at the moment, but it's playable ... I've named it 'Outskirts' as it is set in an area just outside where the initial specimen outbreak occurred several years in the future. The specimens have ravaged the land and all that remains is wreckage and tumbleweeds .. and two extremely fragile buildings that happen to be situated directly across from one another.

If people enjoy this little project of mine enough, I will definitely continue working on it and maybe even consider adding new maps or game mechanics to the mix.

Enjoy!

Download the latest version here : (Last updated : March 29 , 2012 )​

NOTE : If you are playing it offline , you need to make sure it loads the correct gametype. Bring down the console and paste in this command. : " open GH-OutSkirts?Game=Glassmutator.GlasshouseGameInfo " If you're launching a dedicated server use the .Bat file included in the zip ( just added )

Credits :

Scripts / Mapping / Textures : Alex Quick
StaticMesh Asssets : Alejandro 'Linfosoma' Gorgal
Additional mapping : Justyn 'Justfilth' Toohill

Everything Else : Epic, Tripwire and the KF Community mappers who so kindly lent me a bajillion swanky models to use :)

Super cool bonus action-ey screenshots!

megascreenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

Updated again :

- Added different textures for each team's building so they're easier to tell apart
- More random weapon spawns
- ZED time activates when tiles get blown up close to enough enemies :)
- New sky texture
- various other adjustments and tweaks that I can't recall !

enjoy! :D

Upvote 0
This mode is fun as hell and helps to rest from sometimes frustrating HoE games.

A few thoughts/ideas:
  • Bring back default knife. This will possibly encourage players to move around the building rather than stand like sentry cannons. Also to brake glass on lower levels and live 15 seconds longer on the ground floor (you could ironically call it "Killing Floor")
  • Elevator! Simple platform that move up and down on it's own or triggered by players. Also destructable. Players will ride it in hopes to escape enemy fire.
  • Helicopters that drop supply crates instead of random weapon spawns. Supply crates are randomised (m32/LAW/Medkit(unused pickup item)/a bomb (will explode in 3..2..1..). Crate must be destroyed in order to see what's inside (one more purpose for a knife). Everyone could only guess which team is supposed to get the crate. Helicopter could be destroyed before it even drops something.
  • Regarding final building explosion - tons of 3D fragments kill performance big time. May be it's better to use a bunch of cool animated sprites to show building collapse? Like those from the original Red Orchestra.

Upvote 0
This mode is fun as hell and helps to rest from sometimes frustrating HoE games.

A few thoughts/ideas:
  • Bring back default knife. This will possibly encourage players to move around the building rather than stand like sentry cannons. Also to brake glass on lower levels and live 15 seconds longer on the ground floor (you could ironically call it "Killing Floor")
  • Elevator! Simple platform that move up and down on it's own or triggered by players. Also destructable. Players will ride it in hopes to escape enemy fire.
  • Helicopters that drop supply crates instead of random weapon spawns. Supply crates are randomised (m32/LAW/Medkit(unused pickup item)/a bomb (will explode in 3..2..1..). Crate must be destroyed in order to see what's inside (one more purpose for a knife). Everyone could only guess which team is supposed to get the crate. Helicopter could be destroyed before it even drops something.
  • Regarding final building explosion - tons of 3D fragments kill performance big time. May be it's better to use a bunch of cool animated sprites to show building collapse? Like those from the original Red Orchestra.

Hey, thanks for the feedback man! Glad you're enjoying it

Definitely agreed about the explosion fragments I'm gonna look into a particle effect for those.

Upvote 0