• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Outpost Management

Jacos

May 7, 2011
Greetings, I am Jacos. I'm new to this forum, and I have, infact, only bought this game earlier today. I found myself buying the game, after trying out the demo after hearing some guy moaning about it on the Dwarf Fortress forums. I really do enjoy this game, and I have decided to conjour up this suggestion to solve an annoyance I find in this game.

Outpost management. I hate having to search for each outpost after attacks, having to recall the soldiers by myself, having to tell the outpost to recruit new military, and, if I want to, to train the dwarfs up to an acceptable leve.

So. How about outpost naming and lists, and settings. When I have a large number of outposts, which I usually do in a long lasting game, I will try and make sure each one is producing diggers and has a full complement of guards. This, however, is not easy when guards can be lured away from their posts, and I would have to manually go and check them, or when guards are killed and remain with partly empty garrisons until I notice.

The solution for this is the ability to name each of your outposts, and give them customised settings, and to have lists. A single button on the bottom panel of your screen, perhaps with an outpost icon, listing all your icons. Choose your home base or an outpost, and then you can name it, or set your settings, which can include minimum soldiers manning it, if you want to recall soldiers if you have too few (set the amount), when to trigger training to train soldiers up to a level you set if you wish so, and possibly the ability to make the outpost automatically fire soldiers to nearby enemies.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Greetings, I am Jacos. I'm new to this forum, and I have, infact, only bought this game earlier today. I found myself buying the game, after trying out the demo after hearing some guy moaning about it on the Dwarf Fortress forums. I really do enjoy this game, and I have decided to conjour up this suggestion to solve an annoyance I find in this game.

Outpost management. I hate having to search for each outpost after attacks, having to recall the soldiers by myself, having to tell the outpost to recruit new military, and, if I want to, to train the dwarfs up to an acceptable leve.

So. How about outpost naming and lists, and settings. When I have a large number of outposts, which I usually do in a long lasting game, I will try and make sure each one is producing diggers and has a full complement of guards. This, however, is not easy when guards can be lured away from their posts, and I would have to manually go and check them, or when guards are killed and remain with partly empty garrisons until I notice.

The solution for this is the ability to name each of your outposts, and give them customised settings, and to have lists. A single button on the bottom panel of your screen, perhaps with an outpost icon, listing all your icons. Choose your home base or an outpost, and then you can name it, or set your settings, which can include minimum soldiers manning it, if you want to recall soldiers if you have too few (set the amount), when to trigger training to train soldiers up to a level you set if you wish so, and possibly the ability to make the outpost automatically fire soldiers to nearby enemies.

We are working on a more persistent mode atm for the guys who want to play endless and long games. We did not design for the game to be played like this. Lets see what we can come up with :)

Upvote 0
while i agree with you, I think one of the major challenges of this game is to deal with the idiotic intelligence level of your dwarfs. so the random wandering of your soldiers could be something they designed

and if the bad AI is merely bad programming and it wasn't intended to be like that, i would rather you guys not fix it as it is pretty fun to control the retarded dwarfs

Upvote 0
Dwarven Stupidity? Yes! Inconvenience? Nay!

Dwarven Stupidity? Yes! Inconvenience? Nay!

Well, first, thanks for responding Robin, glad to know the dev team is taking their time to read the suggestions :) Thanks for the great game.

Secondly, illifinifan, I agree with Dwarven stupidity. But I do not agree with inconvienience. I think that I should have it automatically recall all dwarfs back.

And Robin, this topic has a lot to do with Endless and long games. People who play long games usually have a lot of outposts (I sure do, they save my arse a lot), and they would surely make long games where you have dozens of outposts much easier and convenient.

Upvote 0