• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Orel, update?

Yeah man, U take that back - u're talking about the map Heinz loves - 95% of his 1,348 posts have been about that map. ;)

His next kid is going to be christened Orel.

BTW - here's a morsel for you all. It is not pronounced 'Oral' or even 'OR-el', it is pronounced 'ah-RYOL'.

The explanation of why this is is long and boring even to most linguists, but if any one wants a break down of why Pulemetchik is pronounced 'poo-li-MYOT-chik' and Orlovka is pronounced 'ahr-LOV-ka' then I'll be happy to give them a few links to papers about Russian syllable stress and phonotactics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah man, U take that back - u're talking about the map Heinz loves - 95% of his 1,348 posts have been about that map. ;)

His next kid is going to be christened Orel.

BTW - here's a morsel for you all. It is not pronounced 'Oral' or even 'OR-el', it is pronounced 'ah-RYOL'.

The explanation of why this is is long and boring even to most linguists, but if any one wants a break down of why Pulemetchik is pronounced 'poo-li-MYOT-chik' and Orlovka is pronounced 'ahr-LOV-ka' then I'll be happy to give them a few links to papers about Russian syllable stress and phonotactics.
You think anyone cares? Uncivilised people pronounce Texas with an X like in taxi instead of a "h" like in "hack".

Upvote 0
Well Berezina is feminine and Orel is masculine so you have a choice :) (Orel means 'Eagle' btw)

Oh...and Makhnovo is neutral; so in the equally unlikely events of a) you having a conversion to infantry maps and b) ur kid being a hermaphrodite, you could call it that :D

heh. you're funny man, you have a good sense of humor. I like that. :D

as for the topic, I sure hope an Orel update comes out soon. real soon! :)

Upvote 0
um, last time I checked, Texas was in the USA. :p we pronounce our X's correctly, thank you.
It's incorrectly spelled. The original name is the original name.

Kind of like Americans/Anglos spelling "Xavier" with the "X". Cracks me up.

In old Spanish, the X used to be spelled like the "H" in "hack". The Spaniards changed this recently now that sound has been completely replaced by the "J" and we use the "X" exclusively for "axe" sounds, like the Anglos. Besides this, we retained the proper spelling of words such as Mexico, Texas and Xavier.

Since English is a barbarian language, I don't blame you guys. It's ok.

Upvote 0
Right, so we're all agreed then? the map is called ahr-YOL and anyone who wants 'Oral' should go get and themselves a hooker, or a girlfriend of less than 6 months' standing who will still do all that. ;)

BTW still haven't managed to work out if it's 'Be-re-ZIN-a' or 'ber-YOZ-in-a' - need to see an old map to see if that second E has an 'umlaut'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nah, my next kid's going to be named Berezina (best map in the game right now). ;)

I'd have to agree here. For pure tanks, I really like Moz's Black Day July better.

Orel was just he first long range tank map, and that made it fun.....for the first 90 minutes. Now no one ever votes for it because it takes a virtural lifetime to finish, which it rarely does by capture.

Upvote 0
I'd have to agree here. For pure tanks, I really like Moz's Black Day July better.

Orel was just he first long range tank map, and that made it fun.....for the first 90 minutes. Now no one ever votes for it because it takes a virtural lifetime to finish, which it rarely does by capture.

Moz's BDJ is in a class of its own as is Orel. BDJ b3 is indeed, very enjoyable.

Berezina, on the other hand, is a gorgeous, precedent setting map at the very top of the high quality category. Berezina will become the map by which all others are either judged or compared.

Orel was a rough beta when it first appeared just before Slashbot's trip to China. Then, fortunately or unfortunately, was bastardized. Now, we are in a holding pattern waiting for an updated version by Slashbot_427. Orel offers a great deal of promise.

Please remember it was Orel that started the large, epic Combined Arms map surge we are all enjoying at this time. As for time consumption, I am so tired of the "quickie" specialty maps. So Orel, and the other longer playing combined arms maps are "just dandy" for me. ;)

Upvote 0