• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Orders for efficient capping.

In RO, the Squad Leader counts as 1.5 normal infantry when capping (if i'm not mistaken). While it makes an effort to expand the importance of SL, it isn't really realistic as the SL's task wasn't rushing at the front anyway (well, at least not according to German tactics.)

So I had a crazy idea the other day about expanding this idea, and making a "bonus" for infantry going to designated objectives. It would make you count as 1.5 soldier in a capzone that has been marked as "attack" or "defend" by your SL. Basically it would make teams following SL's commands more efficient by standard. Not to mention this would actually make the order commands useful in RO. :rolleyes:

For instance, if German SL orders his team to "Attack Bathroom!" all Germans entering that capzone after the order has been issued will count as 1.5 soldiers without orders. So, if theres two Germans with orders and two Soviets without orders in that capzone, the germans will start capping even though both sides actually are even in numbers.

The same goes if Soviet SL order his team to "Defend Sandbox!". Then each Soviet would count as 1.5. So if there's 5 Germans attacking Sandbox, not being ordered too, and there's 4 Soviets with strict orders to "Defend Sandbox!" the Germans would either have to kill 2 Soviets or get 2 more guys in there to start capping (4x1.5=6).

If both teams have orders for the same objective, the situation is just like normal.

I know some will probably claim this is unrealistic as well, that "words can't actually make you better at anything, but in my mind it sounds as a good compensating idea. It's a pretty subtle change, but could be enough to make teams start listening to their SL, as it simulates the SL's importance way more than it is now. In real life, you better not question/disobey your squad leader, you know...

Well, as I said, just a crazy idea I got... Hopefully you get what I mean. :p

That's a very good idea, it would definitely improve teamwork.

One downside though, this idea requires both teams to have a good commander knowing what he's doing. If attacking side has orders and defending don't, they would be crushed in just minutes even the rest of the team knows what they're doing. Perhaps lower the order cap ratio bonus to "barely advantegous" levels like 1.1, 1.05 to prevent this :)

Upvote 0
Murphy: I'm not sure about what you mean.

My idea was that the system for giving order commands would work exactly as they do now (only one attack/defend order at the time). So you won't be able to give attack orders for every objective of the map at the beginning of a round, if that's what you mean.
  • You wouldn't get repeated "bonuses" by SL switching back and forth from a objective.
  • To avoid unrealistic exploits it would only count for the infantry entering the capzone after the objective has been designated.
  • The effect would only last as long as the objective in question is designated (marked on the map).
It would just encourage infantry to go to designated objectives or make em wait outside a capzone for SL commands in order to optimize their efficiency. It would also make for a interesting "guessing game" between the squad leaders, figuring out where the enemy is about to strike, where he anticipates an attack etc...

Last edited:
Upvote 0