• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Orchestra VS CS: Source?

Vatslav

Apr 17, 2006
Hey all.

Nearly every day I sit and think weather I should buy this game or not. I have read many reviews and stuff. I have noticed a lot of people saying that graphics are not that well.

So I was wondering....Compared to CS: Source, are graphics same or worse in Red Orchestra?

Thanks in advance

The graphics are aging compared to CSS. You will not see glossy buildings and flowerpots flying everywhere after you throw a grenade, and some animations may look a little rough. RO:O is definately not going to compete with any of the Source games or any other games on new generation engines, but most people find the graphics sufficient.
Basically, look through the media page and the screenshot thread, see if you like what you see.
On a side note, the game plays very different from DoD:S and CS:S, so I wouldn't reccomend buying it just based on looks.

Upvote 0
Yeah well, I have seen screenshots and videos on gamespot, but I don't feel its enough. In videos the game looks great, but the video is so small that I can't really see the details.

I think CS: Source looks wonderfull as well, where other people might say it suck.

Thats why I want someone to compare this games graphic wise :)

On a side note, I think BF2 graphic suck though.

Upvote 0
Vatslav said:
Hey all.

Nearly every day I sit and think weather I should buy this game or not. I have read many reviews and stuff. I have noticed a lot of people saying that graphics are not that well.

So I was wondering....Compared to CS: Source, are graphics same or worse in Red Orchestra?

Thanks in advance

The graphics are not as good as in CS:Source, but in my opinion, they are good enough, besides they allow much bigger levels than those in CS:S, so its all relative.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is the gameplay.

If you are looking for a game that pushes your rig to its limits with graphical splendor, well dont get RO. If you want a great game, on the other hand..

Upvote 0
Hehe, well I am nearly sure that I will like the gameplay :) Just confused a bit about the gfx.
Cause on the video it looks allright to me, but so many other people complaning, that's confusing :-/

What about Operation Flashpoint.....Does RO have a bit better gfx than OFP? Or how about Medal Of Honor AA?

Upvote 0
Because graphics are so important...:rolleyes:

You should ask yourself "will I like RO's realistic gameplay?", not "will I like the graphics?".

Just look around a bit, check out the features, the screenshots, the gameplay movies, etc. The movies come very close to how the gameplay really is. Basically, if you're looking for a game that is realistic and intense, has a focus on tactics and that "puts you in the boots of a WWII soldier", look no further. If you expect super fast movement and "pwn" everybody however, this game might not be for you.

If you're still not sure, just wait for the demo to come out. :)

Upvote 0
Vatslav said:
Hehe, well I am nearly sure that I will like the gameplay :) Just confused a bit about the gfx.
Cause on the video it looks allright to me, but so many other people complaning, that's confusing :-/

The people complaining are folks who buy games to show off their rig, the graphics in RO are just fine, and they are up to current standards if you ask me. They will not make your computer cry, but why the hell should they? most modern, regular computers can play RO on more than average details, and thats also something positive IMO.

They are better than the graphics of Medal of honor and OFP.

Upvote 0
BicycleRepairMan said:
The people complaining are folks who buy games to show off their rig, the graphics in RO are just fine, and they are up to current standards if you ask me. They will not make your computer cry, but why the hell should they? most modern, regular computers can play RO on more than average details, and thats also something positive IMO.

They are better than the graphics of Medal of honor and OFP.

Well if graphics in Red Orchestra are better than in Medal of Honor and OFP, then I am sure I will like it, specially if it is at least as good as in Mohha, then I'll love it! :-D

Upvote 0
Many people flipped out about the graphics before they properly adjusted their settings. Once they found their graphical "sweet spot", it was like having the wool pulled from in front of their eyes.

Will it match up to HL2 or FEAR? No, their engines are more advanced.

But RO looks very good, and you will feel like you're in a war. It's all about atmosphere. DODS and CS are all set in perfectly untouched utopian little set-piece maps that look like they have round-the-clock gardening and maintenance.

RO:O's world is grimy, dusty, shattered, cratered, battle-scarred, and full of people trying to kill you. It is absolutely intense.

A lot of people say "but it's gameplay that matters" - which is true, but suggests that the graphics aren't up to snuff. That is not the case. The gameplay is excellent, and the graphics are plenty good.

Upvote 0
The Unreal Engine 2 allows for a lot more detail than what RO shows, but because of its scale, it wouldn't be wise to abuse of it. Some of the maps are huge and stuffing them with detailed objects all over the place would hinder the performance. However, smaller maps like odessa, kessel or basovka are much more detailed than larger maps like arad, hedgehog or rakowice, because they're small and allow for a lot more detail than larger ones. In the end, it's all about balancing the sides; size or detail? gameplay or graphics?

Anyway, I think the graphics are good enough for this game and it's the gameplay that matters here.

Upvote 0
BicycleRepairMan said:
The graphics are not as good as in CS:Source, but in my opinion, they are good enough, besides they allow much bigger levels than those in CS:S, so its all relative.

I disagree with this. The textures are not as high resolution and sharp as in CS:Source. Also the lightening is not as good as in Source games.

But the detail level in RO is awesome and the huge maps look like a simulation of a real world. In my opinion the maps in CS:Source look empty and sterile. Therefore I wouldn't say that CS:S gfx is better, but rather I prefer RO gfx.

If you compare it with newer games, then of course RO gfx is not top notch, but still not outdated.

Upvote 0