• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Codemaggots have become the joke of the gaming industry. Literally everybody who knows a thing or two about (tactical) gaming laughs at them for attempting a sequel after their last failed attempt. Sion Lenton a.k.a. Senile Lemon is one of the biggest idiots in the gaming industry. Their forums are sad too, you are not allowed to criticize them for screwing up the OFP name, you'll be banned and be called a troll. Not that I've done that, but I've seen it happen. Only a fool will buy RR after the disaster that was DR.

Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0
The capitalist pig rears it's head:
[url]http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1110608p1.html[/URL]

"Generally, the impression I get is that 90% of people that played the game loved it," says the energetic Sion Lenton, creative director on Codemasters' Operation Flashpoint games. "They thought it was something different but felt that it was really hard, that it was slightly obscure and difficult. 10% of people didn't think it was hard enough. Out of every million sales, the people that I want to get the game right for is that 90%."

It's very hard to read past that part :mad:

Reactions: ERK
Upvote 0
But, the engine did allow for nice large environments without killing your PC (STALKER, ArmA 2).
Haven't tplayed STALKER yet but ArmA2 definitely doesn't kill my PC.

"Out of every million sales, the people that I want to get the game right for is that 90%."
That really isn't new, is it?

Upvote 0
It ties into a more clearly defined class system; there's now a rifleman, grenadier, scout and auto rifleman, and while they all carry an M4A1 they've also got their own weapons and their own attributes.

Lulz.

At long range there's now a sticky aim that slows the reticule as it passes over enemies, while at mid-range there's a snap-to-aim that'll be familiar to any Call of Duty veterans and finally get up close and personal and there's Red River's equivalent of the z-lock, keeping the players sights on the target as they strafe around.

More lulz.

this time the talk is of Left 4 Dead and Nintendo's approach to game design. "We were just talking about trying to make the game more fun," admits Sion.

Ultra lulz.

Upvote 0
Epic lulz ->
944x531.jpg

I'm normally always open-minded towards almost any game(and for that I get flamed a lot). But this.....this is just.....no.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More lulz in the cm forums ->

Originally Posted by purgat0r1
Actually, the IGN article seems to fall pretty much in-line with the OXM article, and all the other bits-and-pieces of information that have been revealed thus far, pointing to a massive effort to dumb the game down. There's nothing in the IGN article that conflicts previously confirmed information, such as the removal of PVP multiplayer, helicopter piloting, etc. So it's just more bad news for those who loved the OFP series for its dedication to realism. When you compare what we know about OFP-RR with Arma, or even the previous game in the series, its pretty obvious that CM are departing in a pretty massive way from anything resembling a mil-sim.

RaZoR1471:
First of all, removing PvP and Helo piloting (In CAMPAIGN) is to make the game "tighter and more focused". This is not dumbing down the game at all.

ArmA and OpF DR&RR (It's OpF, not OFP Mr flashpoint fan!) are different games. It's like an orange and an apple, both are round, both look roughly the same, but they are completely different on the inside.

:D:D

Upvote 0
Seriously, just compare those pics of Maruk and Lenton.
The difference is earth and sky, lol. Maruk standing on an old Soviet tank in a Spetznaz uniform, and Lenton carrying a fantasy version of an M4 airsoft gun :D

That tankshot came from the OFP days i believe.
I also saw a picture of Maruk and another BIS dev walking around in a military uniform and AK's through the Czech Republic for a weekend or a week, can't remember which.
Those were airsoft guns too, but at least those were correct lol :p
Trying to get into the mood for ArmA 2, basically :D

Upvote 0
The only bad thing about ArmAII I could think of is the sometimes flimsy weapons and that it only is really good if you are playing in a good squad.

I dunno, I was unimpressed with the AI, the UI, and the general lack of polish. OFP wasn't polished but that was 2001 (or 2002?). Plus it's just basically the same engine (which had lots of problems) with shinier graphics.

Not to mention the fact that the campaign was (is still?) buggy as hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tbh I couldn't care less whether the devs are schizophrenic hardcore guys with 5 old soviet tanks in their garage or stylish persons with 5 girls in their bed, as long as the game is what it's supposed to be. Sion Lenton of course won't get any symphaties for his stupid actions.

It does tell you something about the persons motivation.
Like when i see a preview video of Lenton holding a fake ill-designed M4 i'll know that the game is going to go do some things very badly. Authenticity being one of them. It's a complete lack of enthusiasm to get ANYTHING right.
But when a developer brings in a freaking tank.... What does that say about being enthusiastic?
Imo you can expect a whole lot more from those guys.
Even though they are totally unrelated to the game at hand, you can tell how a game could turn out. In CM's case, it hinted at a complete and utter failure, which they unfortunately recovered from to bring us more of the same crap.
That enthusiasm works very well for Randy Pitchford from Gearbox as well. When he talks about his games he almost shines, and he could almost sell me any game no matter how crappy it is.
Hell, i could buy My Little Pony guys when that guy starts talking about it with those twinkling eyes.
ArmA 2 on the other hand does have it's problems but it's very ambitious, and a blast in co-op no other game comes close to.
SP has more than it's share of problems but it's just something to hold you over untill you find a proper squad.
That is a completely different discussion though.
For now, lets just focus on the next failure of CM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0