• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint 2 preview and screenies

It'd look a tad better without the grain, which adds too much "noise" to the picture so if they shopped that in: bad for them.

Draw distance is fine, though i agree on the grass distance, but then ArmA II's grass seems to be fubared aswell so...

I do like the minimalist hud. I'm not getting my hopes up yet, but if it's somewhere between ArmA and GRAW (cause that what it looks like) I could still see myself buying it.

Upvote 0
While it doesn't look like it, it could be that those are just things you can enable or disable on the difficulty options screen, like in Flashpoint. Remember how you could turn on a red sign stating the class of opponent soldiers when your cursor was on them in Flashpoint? I wouldn't focus on small things so much.
And yeah, you'd have to be pretty unlucky in Flashpoint to have the first cripple or kill you. WGL, which is almost universally considered even more realistic and engaging than vanilla Flashpoint gives soldiers even more endurance so you can take two or three hits! Apart from the fact that the demonstration might have been recorded with cheats on and that we don't know how lucky the guy was that he survived it I wouldn't even say it's such a bad thing to be able to take at least one hit before things go down the gutter.
I have to say though, It looks a bit like it was the sequel to the recent Ghost Recon games instead of the sequel to Flashpoint. I can't even put my finger on something specific there. Just the vibe I get. But I need to see longer gameplay footage to really get a good picture of what the game is going to be like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LoL he talks about making the game fair and softening it:rolleyes:, there's the proof i'm afraid that opf2 will be much closer to a console style fps rather than a sim.

I wish he'd just say the difficulty and realism has been reduced for the console market like every other sim or tactical shooter franchise that started life on the pc and then went to console. But hey who knows opf2 might be a fun game with some realistic elements, and if its total crap we still have aram2:cool:.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't really consider that gameplay footage. You can't really draw a conclusion from 15 seconds of gameplay footage (or maybe you can, see below screenshot). They should just show someone playing a mission for at least 5 minutes.

As for graphics: looks pretty good (especially the helicopter bit), but it doesn't get anywhere near ArmA 2's realistic level design. It looks ten times better than OFP2. The grain filter really isn't helping. I think ArmA 2's landscape will be much more interesting to fight in.

But what really baffled me was this:

OFP2_hit_feedback.jpg

I guess that's what they mean by making it more "fair" for more casual players. This begins to look more and more like a Battlefield clone. The only difference is the much bigger gameworld.

Upvote 0
Stop moaning about that stupid little marker. ArmA and OFP had ****loads of difficulty settings, like "better" body armour (or what was it called in the options?), 3rd person view, crosshair :rolleyes:

Crosshair / third person doesn't automatically make a shooter less realistic. No one calls OFP "arcady" because it had crosshairs.

"Hit feedback" however, is a feature straight out of CoD4 and BF2, and doesn't belong in a realistic FPS.

Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. But so far, there isn't a single indication that OFP2 will be a worthy successor of OFP, let alone be on par with OFP's and ArmA's realism.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Crosshair / third person doesn't automatically make a shooter less realistic. No one calls OFP "arcady" because it had crosshairs.

"Hit feedback" however, is a feature straight out of CoD4 and BF2, and doesn't belong in a realistic FPS.

Hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. But so far, there isn't a single indication that OFP2 will be a worthy successor of OFP, let alone be on par with OFP's and ArmA's realism.

:rolleyes:

Who are you to say that a hit feedback automatically makes a game less realistic? It doesn't make spotting an enemy any easier. And that 3rd person view or crosshair won't make a game less realistic?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Who are you to say that a hit feedback automatically makes a game less realistic? It doesn't make spotting an enemy any easier. And that 3rd person view or crosshair won't make a game less realistic?

It makes it easier in knowing that you hit someone.
And unless you have clear sight on the hit, that is something you couldnt know any other way in real life. And if you had clear sight on the hit, you dont need a damn marker to show you.
Shooting someone through bushes is a matter of luck and hoping you hit something, you need to keep worrying about him untill youve checked his body. Not anymore.

Upvote 0
And unless you have clear sight on the hit, that is something you couldnt know any other way in real life. And if you had clear sight on the hit, you dont need a damn marker to show you.
Shooting someone through bushes is a matter of luck and hoping you hit something, you need to keep worrying about him untill youve checked his body. Not anymore.
To get the point across: ArmA's third person view does make spotting an enemy easier, like any 3rd person view, thus making the game easier and so on. So ArmA can from now on be considered arcade aswell.

Upvote 0

RO has clear indication that you hit someone - the kill console. It's unrealistic, yet hardly any servers with it disabled. RO is unrealistic.

Upvote 0