• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation August Storm Mod idea

Artem

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
Hello all, Im a relatively experienced texture artist (rusty skills, havent done it in a LONG time). So far the only two real mods that have been started are the Afrika and the Italian mod which I personally do not feel like joining (I could only really put full effort into a mod that I personally wanted to play). Now this mod is not definitive yet, I want to see the response of the playerbase as well as if any modders would be commited to it. I need ATLEAST one coder and a modeller to be interested if we're going to get this off the ground. Any other modder interested can also join! Sound, Website designers etc. will be needed, so be sure to apply if you're interested. I also would like to see if there's actually any interest. I hope there will be as it incorporates not only USSR units, but also Japanese units. Finally I hope some of the new ideas I wish to incorporate (Morale, see below) sound interesting.

Operation August Storm. When the war in Europe ended, under the Tehran conference, USSR agreed to attack Japan. On August 8th they attack the Kwantung Army in Manchuria.

To summarize, it would be Japan and USSR. This will not only keep the aspect of Soviet forces in the game (which I find good) but it will also add the interesting aspect of the Japanese Imperial Army, which I believe has some interest here in our community. In maps, Japan will have inferior tanks however they will have more of them for balance. Some things I wish to add than are different from ROOST are:

Engineer Class (To deploy and remove Mines...if possible, later will be able to build obstacles. Possibly also be able to repair LIGHTLY damaged tanks, such as immobolized ones)
Anti Tank Mines (to replace Panzerfausts)
Possibly Anti-Personnel mines
Semi-Auto AT Rifles*
Wheeled Heavy Machine guns
Mortars
Smoke Grenades
Smoke Artillery
Smoke Mortars
Customizable Uniforms (helmets and hats as well)
Bleeding and Medics (not BF42 medics, they will only be able to stop bleeding)

I'm also toying around with a way to implement morale into the game, since both the IJA and Red Army incorporated strong morale for attacks and defense. Morale would first decrease the motion blur done by explosions and Machine gun fire, would increase stamina, add speed, decrease rifle sway and add accuracy to hip shooting. This could be implemented through something like an officer nearby, who has their Flag out, is in a 30m radius or other radius. There could also be personal morale, where you could use a battle cheer (Urrahh for Soviet, and Banzai (or other yell) for Japanese) to give a slight 5-10% bonus in stamina (i.e. so you can still sprint the last few seconds to cover, or too attack)

Soviet Tanks:
T-34 (reskinned?)
SU-76
Rest of Tanks already in Ostfront (except T-60 and IS-2)

Soviet Weaponry:
Nagant M1891/30 (and Sniper rifle equavalent)
Tokarev SVT-40 (No Sniper Rifle equavelent**)
Nagant 1938 Carbine
PPS-43
PPSH-41
DP-1928 Light Machine Gun
SG-43 Gorunov Heavy Machine Gun
TT-33
Nagant M1985 Revolver
Soviet Flag and Pistol (For possible Morale system, see above)

*will only be good at taking out light tanks and APCs, will have HIGH recoil so no, it will not be spammed as a machine gun. Possibly add motion blur to firing it too fast

**Reasoning for balancing issues and because the SVT-40 sniper rifle was rarely used due to technical issues, such as having vertical shot dispersion.

Japanese Weaponry:
Arisaka Type 38 Rifle (and/or Arisaka Type 99 rifle)
Arisaka Type 38 Cavalry Rifle
Arisaka Model 99 Sniper Rifle
Nambu Type 14 8mm Pistol
Type 26 9mm Revolver
Type 99 Light Machine Gun
Type 1 Heavy Machine Gun
Type 100 Submachine Gun (with Bayonet :cool:)
Type 89 Grenade Discharger
Type 97 Semi-Auto 20mm AT rifle
Shin Gunto Katana (for Officers and Banzai charges)
Katana and Flag (for possible Morale system, see above)

Japanese Tanks:

Type 89 Chi-Ro
Type 97 Chi-Ha
Type 95 Ha-Go Light Tank
Type 4 Ho-Ro Tank Destroyer
Type 1 Ho-Ha APC

So for now I wish to see the response to this idea, as well if any modders are interested. I can make a basic website (I have basic CSS and HTML skills) if need be, and then we can get started. So, opinions, constructive criticisms?

Artem said:
Hello all, Im a relatively experienced texture artist (rusty skills, havent done it in a LONG time). So far the only two real mods that have been started are the Afrika and the Italian mod which I personally do not feel like joining (I could only really put full effort into a mod that I personally wanted to play). Now this mod is not definitive yet, I want to see the response of the playerbase as well as if any modders would be commited to it. I need ATLEAST one coder and a modeller to be interested if we're going to get this off the ground. Any other modder interested can also join! Sound, Website designers etc. will be needed, so be sure to apply if you're interested. I also would like to see if there's actually any interest. I hope there will be as it incorporates not only USSR units, but also Japanese units. Finally I hope some of the new ideas I wish to incorporate (Morale, see below) sound interesting.

Operation August Storm. When the war in Europe ended, under the Tehran conference, USSR agreed to attack Japan. On August 8th they attack the Kwantung Army in Manchuria.

To summarize, it would be Japan and USSR. This will not only keep the aspect of Soviet forces in the game (which I find good) but it will also add the interesting aspect of the Japanese Imperial Army, which I believe has some interest here in our community. In maps, Japan will have inferior tanks however they will have more of them for balance. Some things I wish to add than are different from ROOST are:

Engineer Class (To deploy and remove Mines...if possible, later will be able to build obstacles. Possibly also be able to repair LIGHTLY damaged tanks, such as immobolized ones)
Anti Tank Mines (to replace Panzerfausts)
Possibly Anti-Personnel mines
Semi-Auto AT Rifles*
Wheeled Heavy Machine guns
Mortars
Smoke Grenades
Smoke Artillery
Smoke Mortars
Customizable Uniforms (helmets and hats as well)
Bleeding and Medics (not BF42 medics, they will only be able to stop bleeding)

I'm also toying around with a way to implement morale into the game, since both the IJA and Red Army incorporated strong morale for attacks and defense. Morale would first decrease the motion blur done by explosions and Machine gun fire, would increase stamina, add speed, decrease rifle sway and add accuracy to hip shooting. This could be implemented through something like an officer nearby, who has their Flag out, is in a 30m radius or other radius. There could also be personal morale, where you could use a battle cheer (Urrahh for Soviet, and Banzai (or other yell) for Japanese) to give a slight 5-10% bonus in stamina (i.e. so you can still sprint the last few seconds to cover, or too attack)

Soviet Tanks:
T-34 (reskinned?)
SU-76
Rest of Tanks already in Ostfront (except T-60 and IS-2)

Soviet Weaponry:
Nagant M1891/30 (and Sniper rifle equavalent)
Tokarev SVT-40 (No Sniper Rifle equavelent**)
Nagant 1938 Carbine
PPS-43
PPSH-41
DP-1928 Light Machine Gun
SG-43 Gorunov Heavy Machine Gun
TT-33
Nagant M1985 Revolver
Soviet Flag and Pistol (For possible Morale system, see above)

*will only be good at taking out light tanks and APCs, will have HIGH recoil so no, it will not be spammed as a machine gun. Possibly add motion blur to firing it too fast

**Reasoning for balancing issues and because the SVT-40 sniper rifle was rarely used due to technical issues, such as having vertical shot dispersion.

Japanese Weaponry:
Arisaka Type 38 Rifle (and/or Arisaka Type 99 rifle)
Arisaka Type 38 Cavalry Rifle
Arisaka Model 99 Sniper Rifle
Nambu Type 14 8mm Pistol
Type 26 9mm Revolver
Type 99 Light Machine Gun
Type 1 Heavy Machine Gun
Type 100 Submachine Gun (with Bayonet :cool:)
Type 89 Grenade Discharger
Type 97 Semi-Auto 20mm AT rifle
Shin Gunto Katana (for Officers and Banzai charges)
Katana and Flag (for possible Morale system, see above)

Japanese Tanks:

Type 89 Chi-Ro
Type 97 Chi-Ha
Type 95 Ha-Go Light Tank
Type 4 Ho-Ro Tank Destroyer
Type 1 Ho-Ha APC

So for now I wish to see the response to this idea, as well if any modders are interested. I can make a basic website (I have basic CSS and HTML skills) if need be, and then we can get started. So, opinions, constructive criticisms?
Use a phpBB or any other BB-based forum, and build yourself a website around that forum using phpBB Fetch All.
It means you can easily access, edit, add, remove data and article by using your forum rather than downloading, editing, checking, uploading crap. ;)

Upvote 0