• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Only 850 players on line at 22.00 Saturday worrying g

Honestly, I think the "problem" is to do with the playerbase. In my experience (I stress this because I'm not claiming it as fact, only what I have observed), a significant number of RO/RO2 players are in the 25+ age bracket (myself included).

Those of us at this stage in our lives generally have a lot more responsibilities, social obligations etc (especially when you're married), and have far less time to devote to a computer game. For us, it's a diversion for an hour or so a day, maybe even only a couple hours a week.

(To the younger players, I know that your life isn't all cruisey either; I'm by no means saying you sit on your arses and play games all day. I know you have school/university, part-time jobs, social obligations too etc. It's just that I've lived in both "worlds" and life does get busier.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, I think the "problem" is to do with the playerbase. In my experience (I stress this because I'm not claiming it as fact, only what I have observed), a significant number of RO/RO2 players are in the 25+ age bracket (myself included).

Those of us at this stage in our lives generally have a lot more responsibilities, social obligations etc (especially when you're married), and have far less time to devote to a computer game. For us, it's a diversion for an hour or so a day, maybe even only a couple hours a week.

(To the younger players, I know that your life isn't all cruisey either; I'm by no means saying you sit on your arses and play games all day. I know you have school/university, part-time jobs, social obligations too etc. It's just that I've lived in both "worlds" and life does get busier.)

exactly.

Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0
And I'm one of those people who stop playing the game. I am disappointed in RO, the game's performance makes it unplayable for me. Why can't TW finally optimize the game? It's been 2 months since release and it's still full of bugs and performance issues. I'm not having as much fun as I had with RO1. Why can't TW overcome these problems if they have dealt with them before. Is it any different? I've only put 76 hours into the game and I'm done. Although, I still check these forums everyday, hoping for any news, but instead of finding huge fixes to the game that actually affect gameplay, I find that developers are trying to implement some useless demo. I'm here to play, not make videos of games.

I lost hope. You can bash all you want, guys.

Upvote 0
Hi guys

I'm actually enjoying a return to "online gaming" being an REALLY old git (25-40= junior :p )
The problem for me has always been "steam related"
At this moment in time NO SERVERS show when I click on multi-player :confused:
My other games work online OK but RO2 just dont want to know
Make it easier for us "oldies" (computer literate since 1980) to join ONLINE

Going to take my medication

maddysad

Upvote 0
Just go to steam it gives a live update for each game on player counts and the top last 24hrs for each game. RO2 is still there amongst all the other games and RO1 and its mods have not been in the top 100 for about 3 years and I never had a problem picking a game up. I think these trolls on here are used to a COD console type server layout where there are ten thousand servers and about 50k players. Ironically MW3 at this moment only has 3800 players playing, on steam that is.

Upvote 0
And I'm one of those people who stop playing the game. I am disappointed in RO, the game's performance makes it unplayable for me. Why can't TW finally optimize the game? It's been 2 months since release and it's still full of bugs and performance issues. I'm not having as much fun as I had with RO1. Why can't TW overcome these problems if they have dealt with them before. Is it any different? I've only put 76 hours into the game and I'm done. Although, I still check these forums everyday, hoping for any news, but instead of finding huge fixes to the game that actually affect gameplay, I find that developers are trying to implement some useless demo. I'm here to play, not make videos of games.

I lost hope. You can bash all you want, guys.

Harder than you can imagine, hoss. Code is very, VERY difficult to debug, especially with something as big and complex as a game.

Seriously, you (and many others) act like optimization and debugging is as simple as tweaking an INI or typing **** into a console. It's a massive, labyrinthine process, and it gets under my skin to hear people act as if it's something that just happens.

Turn your graphics down, toy with your INI settings, settle for less than 90+ framerates, or accept the fact that your computer isn't powerful enough to swing it.

Upvote 0
Harder than you can imagine, hoss. Code is very, VERY difficult to debug, especially with something as big and complex as a game.

Seriously, you (and many others) act like optimization and debugging is as simple as tweaking an INI or typing **** into a console. It's a massive, labyrinthine process, and it gets under my skin to hear people act as if it's something that just happens.

Turn your graphics down, toy with your INI settings, settle for less than 90+ framerates, or accept the fact that your computer isn't powerful enough to swing it.

I7 950 3.06 GHZ
GTX 460 1GB OC @ 750MHz/1950MHz
6Gb 1066 Mhz RAM
X58 MSI motherboard

Changing settings from high to medium to low only gives 3-5 fps, I've been changing INIs the whole month, and I still get 40 fps in most maps, stuttering and FPS drops. I shouldn't. My rig is powerful enough to have at least a stable 50-60 FPS.

Upvote 0
With the steep drop in player numbers as well as most Asian servers closing down, I can hardly play this game at all right now. Connecting to US servers only worsens performance. Whenever I do get into US servers, my ping is at a minimum of 290 and spikes sporadically at 800 before I get autokicked for connection issues. This game is virtually dead around my area, and it's a damn shame because I really love it.

Upvote 0
The average gamer these days is supposed to be over 30 btw. If you can believe the stats.

This is certainly true for RO2, going by conversations in game.

OP said he was worried about the number of servers with over 50 players. Plenty of people won't touch any server over 35 players, since the server performance mostly can't handle the game properly over this number. This probably accounts for the lack of large player count servers, more than the feared 'dying game'.

Upvote 0

Honestly, first, it shouldn't have been RELEASED in this state to begin with, and secondly, you ought to know damned well by now that it is NOT peoples' computers or settings in most cases, but poor optimization!

Upvote 0
i started to be tired of these threads on the forum. Yes, the playerbase is low, but it will rise once we get some fixes or an announcement or whatever.

Right now, bf3 is there, so COD and Skyrim. People is playing those new games, waiting for the fixes, or because they want to play something new. We ALL know the number or players out there, but when i see it, i just play if i can, or leave to something else (RL stuff if i'm not able to play, work to be done or whatever).

Leave it time, but enough with these kind of threads.

Reactions: Mike_Nomad
Upvote 0