• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

One Reason Why Tiger isn't a Favorite

kfnguy2 said:
Yeah you pretty much hit the spot on every point. The 88mm kwk l/71 is probably the best bang for the buck "Cannon" in ww2 for a tank. I would say the T15E1 90 mm could give it a run for its money.

I'd rather take the British 17lber myself, that thing kicked amazing arse for its caliber. But frankly there isn't much difference between the top western guns at the end of the war, they were all easily able to defeat enemy tanks at practical ranges. It was just the Russians who tended to lag behind a bit in AP abilities, and they just made up for this using bigger guns.

[RWTD]Ghost[BCthc] said:
Or even a better example, watching shots bounce off the SU76, with its what... 36mm or so of frontal armor?

Amusingly enough the other day I was directly facing a Panther with my SU76, engaged in a firefight at close range (100-150m or so). I took a direct hit from his 75mm and it didn't kill me. And in return his (slightly angled) hull side took about 6 hits from my gun and all bounced off. It was somewhat surreal.

Upvote 0
Hi,

about angling (and the the discussion about "The Tiger is toooo weak") the Tiger i would recommend you this lecture (if you can read german):

the "Tiger Fibel"

here is a picture of a diagramm given to tank crews to show on what angle they were save and from what distance they could get killed:

tft34.jpg

you see the "dots" at 10:30 and 01:30 ? thats the invulnerable spot of the tiger. so angeling was not an sooo uncommon practise for combat.

as you can see here:

045.jpg

and here

100.jpg

here

106.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LordKhaine said:
Amusingly enough the other day I was directly facing a Panther with my SU76, engaged in a firefight at close range (100-150m or so). I took a direct hit from his 75mm and it didn't kill me. And in return his (slightly angled) hull side took about 6 hits from my gun and all bounced off. It was somewhat surreal.

Last night I was in an IS2 near the farm on Ogledow and I had an...interesting experience. I engaged a couple panthers, several pz IV's and a few stugs before finally being taken out. I killed everything that came at me save for one panther that was in one hell of a position, I must have fired 10 AP rounds at the thing and most of them just bounced off...granted, he fired about 20-25 AP rounds at me and they did next to nothing. Most of the damage was done by a pz IV that got close. I was completely out of AP ammo and was firing off HE rounds. It was rather amusing sitting there having probably about 30 rounds bounce off my tank.

:D

Upvote 0
D.a.L-UnteroffizierG said:
Hi,

about angling the Tiger i would recommend you this lecture (if you speak german):

the "Tiger Fiebel"

here is a picture of a diagramm given to tank crews to show on what angle they were save and from what distance they could get killed:
you see the "dots" at 10:30 and 01:30 ? thats the invulnerable spot of the tiger. so angeling was not an sooo uncommon practise for combat.

Very nice. Great info and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0