• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

One Reason Why Tiger isn't a Favorite

Graf

Mar 26, 2006
I'm no genius when it comes to WW2 tanks but I do not enough to know something is wrong with the Tiger turret rotation. Besides the armor being weaker than as was in reality I think the turret needs some recalibrating. Did a few tests and timed my calculations(time to rotate turret 360 degrees). PzIVF2-approx. 16.5 seconds PzV Panther-approx. 15 seconds PzVI Tiger-approx. 58 seconds IS-2-approx. 13 seconds T34/85-approx. 14 seconds Now why is it the Tiger turret rotates over 40 seconds slower than any other tank including heavy tanks? And I would think the IS2 would rotate slower due to its far heavier caliber gun. May be me tho. :)

Redemption said:
So I'm guessing when we see some early maps with the Tiger we will see it only being destroyed/disabled with shots from the rear?

The devs have hinted that they'll release a Kursk map at some point, where the Tiger was first introduced to the battlefield in significant numbers. Then it should be a real beast, with T-34s trying to get within 50m to kill it.

The turret traverse really was that slow though, they would actually just turn the tank most times to aim, since it was faster.

Upvote 0
Redemption said:
So I'm guessing when we see some early maps with the Tiger we will see it only being destroyed/disabled with shots from the rear?

Well it should not get penetrated by the T34/76 from the Front iirc, or only VERY close. Though there are some Maps with the T34/76 on em, those Maps do not feature a Tiger. But this will probably change when the SDK is released.

Upvote 0
Graf said:
Well even if it was slow, look at the IS-2 turret speed. 13 seconds? No way. On one hand you have a tank that traverses it's turret at 58 seconds and another that does it in 13. Either Tiger is WAY too slow or the others are ALOT faster.

From the fprado site (http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger1.htm), the maximum traverse speed of the Tiger I's turret was 6 degrees per second

360/6 = 60 sec

So yes, the Tiger turret took a full minute to rotate.

I don't know the exact rate of traverse for the IS-2, however the Tiger I was extremely unusual for its low traverse speed, for example the later Tiger II had a traverse speed of 19 degrees per second (19 seconds full rotation), over triple that of the original Tiger.

Upvote 0
FYROM said:
The devs have hinted that they'll release a Kursk map at some point, where the Tiger was first introduced to the battlefield in significant numbers. Then it should be a real beast, with T-34s trying to get within 50m to kill it.

If we are talking accurate then very many of the Kursk Tigers & Panthers should break down before reaching combat! Then we would have to mount recovery with 3 Famo half tracks for each Tiger!!

Upvote 0
Maltodextrin said:
The traverse speed is modled accurately on the tanks. The mechanism used to turn the Tiger's turret was simply not sufficient for it's bulk.

So, uhhhh, did the devs actually get into a tiger and clock the 360 degree rotation in it or something? How about a panther/pz4/t34/is2?

Just wondering where they got this accurate info from? Id like to take a look at this info myself.

It is common knowledge that the Tiger was one of the most fearsome tanks in WWII, but somehow it has been reduced to utter bull**** in this game. I would rather be in the PZ4 than the tiger when it comes to RO. At least I can fire/rotate turret/move fast in it.

Lets not overlook its record in WWII. While it was mechanically fragile, its armor was some of the best. Not to mention its gun is WAAAAAAAAAAAY underpowered in this game. The tiger could penetrate ANY allied tank up to 2000 meters.

So all of you people defending and such, show me, dont tell me where you get your info.

Upvote 0
The Tiger tank dominated on the eastern front in the beginning, but the Soviets produced better tanks and the Tiger was equally matched by the Soviets.

German armor dominated almost the entire war on the western front. The Allies, especially the Americans, could not easily destroy the Tiger (or any German medium-heavy tanks for the Americans for that matter.)

Tiger is not supposed to be used in close rang fighting anyway.

Upvote 0
Gunslinger said:
So, uhhhh, did the devs actually get into a tiger and clock the 360 degree rotation in it or something? How about a panther/pz4/t34/is2?

Just wondering where they got this accurate info from? Id like to take a look at this info myself.

It is common knowledge that the Tiger was one of the most fearsome tanks in WWII, but somehow it has been reduced to utter bull**** in this game. I would rather be in the PZ4 than the tiger when it comes to RO. At least I can fire/rotate turret/move fast in it.

Lets not overlook its record in WWII. While it was mechanically fragile, its armor was some of the best. Not to mention its gun is WAAAAAAAAAAAY underpowered in this game. The tiger could penetrate ANY allied tank up to 2000 meters.

So all of you people defending and such, show me, dont tell me where you get your info.

we should keep in mind that all that common knowledge is from the western front and movies. The sherman isnt exactly a good match for the tiger, non sloped, thin armor and a 75mm gun.

also a quote from Wikipedica, I know its not the best source but..

The size of the Tiger forced the introduction of new and complex technologies, giving the engineers a series of technical challenges which were never entirely surmounted. The eleven-ton turret had a hydraulic motor powered by mechanical drive from the engine; even so, a full rotation took about a minute.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Witzig said:
The Tiger Turret rotates that slow because its a heavy monster of a Turret with a far to weak Turret Traverse Motor. And the Tiger Armor ain't weak, its just not sloped which makes the Tiger an "easy" kill for the Late Ware Russian Tanks its fighting...

You stole the picture from me :D It's ok, though, I'm actually glad you did. I spammed it to try and spread it around.

Upvote 0
60 seconds for 360 degree traverse on the Tiger is absolutely correct. The turret was driven by a hydraulic motor with speed of traverse being dependant on the engine speed - the max achievable was 60 seconds full traverse. People who really believe the myth that the Tiger was an invincible beast on the battlefield need to read some books!

Upvote 0
I know far more than you think son. And I really don't care as I play as Russians 99% of the time. Feel sorry for the poor SOB in that Tiger. BTW take a look at the IS-2 datasheet, says turret rotation time should be 30sec-360 degrees. Now that I believe. Criticize me all you want, I'm just lookin for the real numbers.

Upvote 0