• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics On assaulting: feasible vs. suicidal.

Well I'm one of the finest point whores out there but I rarely die doing it. I'm ALWAYS in the zone and I do my fair share of killing. I spend more time in the zones that I don't have time to die, I'm usually spending 3-5 minutes at a time in the zones waiting for my teammates to come and join me.

I'm sure most of the skilled players, this idea still would not effect the scores or those that know how to stay on top of the board.

I've always said that if the winning team as a whole was given say 100 points or 50 points just for a WIN then more people would try winning as a team.

Some people stay back and never enter a cap zone and rack up points just dinging people. I usually split my score 50/50. I know some will disagree with that because it's a running joke with me that all my points come from capping only and when my score is done people will say as example if I have 134 points that only 4 of those points were kills and the other 130 were 13 caps...:D

I'm sure others who fall victim to my rifle know how many times they die during a round and would agree I do enough killing over capping as well...

Now the rest of the thread - people have to remember if the map is an offensive map (Re-enforcements mean NOTHING to the offensive team). As mentioned all maps are timed. On defensive maps the team on defense has to do so PERIOD. This is where my winning score tally helps because then people would do more to cap on offense to win and more on defense would do so for the win and that extra say 50-100 points. This then would make the guys on the losing team fall short of having that top score they are striving for (Point Whores that is)...

Also as with any game period -especially FPS. No matter what gameplay, even with K/D ratio's etc. a skilled FPS player will still always be on or near the top, you simply change your gameplay to the type of game it is. I know this from being on top of BF42 and BFV for months at their height of popularity. We'll even see those same people in Game 2 from Tripwire when the time comes, you either have it or you don't...

The only true way to rid point whoring is to NOT have points for anything period. Your team either WINS or LOSES. That would be it. This comes up all the time though, regardless of what ANYONE says about points it's the nature of the beast and people want to see their skill or where they rate so this feature will always be in game if they want to sell the game because this is a feature people say they DO NOT want but they know themselves they are constantly checking their scores or their ratings on certain stat sites for games that have them...

Many things mentioned in the thread are good but RO I think does it's spawning and gameplay better than any other. Americas Army, OFP, Armed Assault etc. are incredible games but when they are played how they were created you live once and have to wait till everyone is dead to respawn, this for MP kills games. You need to have respawns and you need to have timed matches with the team having only a % of reenforcements. RO does this in EVERY aspect and is still the BEST FPS Multiplayer game out there. I just wish all the other incredible games I mentioned and their soon to be released 2 games would follow all the aspects that RO has put into it's MP experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, let's look at the options of "implementing fear of death".

1st Huge death penalty is often unpopular as fps people want constant action. There are realism people getting their rush out of it, but ultimately I don't really think that many want spend their time speccing. There is only limited amount of time in the day to eat, sleep, work, and please yuor gf...and still play the games.;)
And it is often frustating to new players.

2nd. Psychological validations: ie awards, scoreboard penaly for dying. Fun for most, but also get "old" and don't help win the game.

3rd. Rewarding positive kill score. Now I'm not suggesting Natzi zombies spawning, but yuo just have to face it K/D ration matters sometimes more in COD:WAW than it does in RO.

For those that don't know: In COD:WAW yuo score a recon plane for 3 kills without dying, arty for 5 and a attack dog pack for 7 in row.

Certainly something to consider in RO2.

Upvote 0
As a post script to this thread - tell you what, when I made this all the way back, I made it after playing on that crazy German realism server with no kill console (Franz Something Reailsm ....) and now I'm a frequent patron at their DH server and it rocks... Absolutely rocks.

DH's mapdesign philosophy (spawn teleports, spawning a certain distance behind cap) coupled with no kill console and a mutator that doesn't show scores at all (plus, it blacks out the screen once you're dead) really make it immersive and the fear of death is all there. Hell, you can even feign death - when you come under fire, get hit, just drop down and don't move for a while... Chances are, you won't be shot at again and after a while you can run to the nearest cover. Prolly the only thing to do if you get caught out in the open.

Man, surviving through a CQB gives you such an adrenaline rush. Highly recommend. More servers should use that mutator and more servers should hide the kill console.

Upvote 0
As a post script to this thread - tell you what, when I made this all the way back, I made it after playing on that crazy German realism server with no kill console (Franz Something Reailsm ....) and now I'm a frequent patron at their DH server and it rocks... Absolutely rocks.
[...]

Agreed.
And there's even more in store coming...

Upvote 0
pointless discussion, you just do whats goddamn needed! in defense you defend and in attack you goddamn attack! When half the team sits back and shoots and maybe 2-3 guys advance, that is a sure defeat already.
You dont just randomly run forward hoping some poor sob will get in your way, you move wisely, expect people at around a corner, throw a grenade where you thought you saw someone move.. I swear I sometimes wanna mow down the zerglings on my team..

Upvote 0
pointless discussion, you just do whats goddamn needed! in defense you defend and in attack you goddamn attack!

Yeah, but I feel the mappers should do it so nothing suicidal should be required to achieve an objective. No "I've got 95% chance of dying but I might make it somehow, if I don't I will just respawn to try again, and it's the only way to cap anyway"
As it is the case in the bunkers of MN_Sened or DH_Hurtgenwald, for exemple.

Upvote 0