• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Omaha Beach Map Development

Oh right ok. I didn't realise you changed it from the whole beach being spawn protection.

However the road on the front a bit beyond the wire is spawn protection. Considering it's where all the germans end up imploding.

Yes, but do you think I should leave it or delete it? I dont think a single german ran down to beach on D Day. The barbed wire should block them before A and B are capped anyways?

Upvote 0
Yes, but do you think I should leave it or delete it? I don't think a single German ran down to beach on D Day. The barbed wire should block them before A and B are capped anyways?

Yeah with players. Barbed wire should block them. Then again arty destroying sections and Germans running on.

However on the forgotten hope 2 Omaha beach there is nothing stopping the Germans from running down. Any German who gets on the beach suddenly finds himself as the only target Americans can shoot at. So in that game/mod Germans don't tend to go on the beach because they end up getting shot by 50 angry Americans.

Upvote 0
only thing left is to switch out the newly collisioned houses, other than that this map will be release version unless anyone has other input. I left 1 tank in F that explodes when F is capped. LCVP animations "should" be server friendly but will need to verify this with Moskeeto later tonight hopefully.

And lallup said he now has a "better" LCVP model that I will need to unwrap and texture before I can add it to the map, so I am not sure this will get done prior to initial release. Depends on how much better it is.

Download Here

Upvote 0
http://imgur.com/a/bv51j

Various screenshots. First few are just ****s and giggles. Then a couple of no hud ones. People floating. Then showing off various AI stuck spots. Long range kills then the funky MG34 down at the front of the church. When you reload you sink all the way into the ground as well lol. Only hands visible.

Great test. I fixed everything we found. I had to add a blocking volume under the church steps so I wont know if this worked until a server test. I will build the map overnight then send out the "final" release. If all goes well I will try to get trailer and map out on Mon/Tues

Upvote 0
Making boats drivable could have really extreme ramifications in terms of gameplay - people dicking around and trying to drive the boat off the map edge etc. could really ruin the game for the others.

Same could be said for transports. Doesn't happen.

This game has spawn on SL and I say once A and B are captured Beach spawns unlock.

It would be met with a swift kick/ban anyway. Even swifter if votekick worked.

Or they would just teamkill the driver and take over.

Either way people messing about isn't terribly likely. And easily solved if it does.

Upvote 0
Making boats drivable could have really extreme ramifications in terms of gameplay - people dicking around and trying to drive the boat off the map edge etc. could really ruin the game for the others.

I agree, and the difference between the boats and the transports is that you cant get off of the boats. Unless Shepard gets real ambitious about implementing this, I could not see the justification for spending much time on it as its not that big of a part of the maps gameplay.

Someone mentioned adjusting the paths of the boats so they dont come in head on. I can do this if we see the need after a test with a decent player population.

Upvote 0
I still think that sort of behaviour would be very unlikely. There's no troll appeal to drive the boat off somewhere else. There's also no where to go.

It doesn't happen in darkest hour or forgotten hope 2 either.

In its current state it's pretty much done. The boat even rocks and you can stick a jeep on it if you felt like it. It's literally a case of editing the map to have a volume that only collides with the LCVP and the LCVP itself uses slightly modified half track code. Just gotta apply it to the new LCVP.

Upvote 0
I have complied a list of the updates for the B2 release which can be ready before midweek. Its has been great to have a good sized player base for the map as getting feedback before this on other maps was like pulling teeth.

Updates I have already made:
  • Updated Collision for the dead bodies on beach to react to weapons(Currently all collision is disable)
  • Added/modified blocking volumes around re-supply points to keep players from floating above them
  • Added a missing door frame to top floor hallway door of destroyed house in C cap
  • Made several of the custom ambient battle noises provided by lallup louder
  • Made A Cap slightly narrower as the far left edge of it was rather close to the map-boundary
  • Fixed the missing victory music for both teams(Currently silence when round ends)
  • Fixed the glowing German flags in Barracks (G Cap) Bldg
  • Added a Radio between F and G caps in the Long Row House
  • Disabled Lockdown on C Cap
  • Fixed Wonky Covernodes in top Floors of Both buildings in G
  • Added more Ambient Battle Noise inland
  • Fixed problem of not being able to spawn into Spawn 3 on beach at times
  • Increased Delay on Boats beginning to move and boat spawn closing to 14 secs
  • Added a second Radio on the left side iof the beach for Allies
  • Fixed missing collision on a wall in E Cap
  • Adjusted I Cap zone so Allies cant cap it from behind a large wall
  • Reset Burning Boat animations/emitters on round reset
  • Tested Spawn on SL Offline and found the game wont allow it while SL is in a moving boat (which is good)

Things I plan to do:
  • Add Capzone outlines to overhead map
  • Add walls or other cover to the area between F and G
  • Add ammo crates on beach or possibly smoke grenade pickups or possoibly both in some form
  • Modify the boat spawns into 2 or 3 waves of boats. (See below for more details)
  • Vary terrain a little bit more on beach, more hills, more dips, a few more crates, but not too severe

Ideas I am still tossing around:
  • When A/B are capped and the arty falls to destroy the sections of wire, I could trigger a large explosion in or in front of C that would start a large smoke plume. This could assist the allies in providing some artificial cover to get into C without such a long distance shooting gallery.
  • Someone mentioned adding a Fixed MG on a boat, but not really sure how practical this would be, as it wold also have to be a M1917, which would be even weirder IMO

Multiple Boat Spawns
Currently there is a period of 90 seconds where Allies who missed the initial boat spawn, are unable to spawn at all. This would be a negative gaming experience for those that might have a slower connection. I am considering having likely 3 Boat spawn waves. The first would be the current one, as soon as this one starts to move to the coast, the second boat spawn would enable and a waiting period of probably 30 secs or so would begin. After this delay, this wave would push out, and a third boat spawn would enable. After another 30 seconds, this wave would move out and then any remaining unspawned players would have to wait a maximum of 30 secs for the first boats to reach the shore, where the shore spawns would enable.

The other benefit of this would be fuller boats, as right now even on a full server we have 32 players spawning into 6 different boats so u might get 4-5 max on a single craft. If each spawn wave has 2 boats in it then we would have a fuller ship which would be a better experience for the player as well.

Let me know what you think and if any of you have any additional ideas for anything I mentioned or missed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Several More Items:

Increase Allies reinforcements
  • 16 players was 400 now 500
  • 32 players was 500 now 700
  • 64 players was 600 now 900

Increase Axis reinforcements
  • 16 players was 300 now 375
  • 32 players was 400 now 500
  • 64 players was 450 now 650

From several people I have heard Axis arty being overwhelming on the beach. I can leave the random arty alone and keep the damage it inflicts and make whole beach a no arty zone or I can disable the random arty damage and leave the beach open for axis arty.

• Address several areas where spawn protection does not seem to be enabled
  • Reduce Cap time for C (was 24, now 22)
  • Change Axis Spawn time from 17 to 18 secs
  • Leave Allies spawn time at 14 secs
  • look at modifying the WaterVolume to allow proning in shallow areas, but I dont think this will be possible.
  • Add more dead bodies on beach for cover/confusion for axis
  • After initital spawn, move the Axis spawn points further from the bunkers while A/B are enabled
  • Disbaled Lock down on all caps (at least for early testing)

Last edited:
Upvote 0