• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Omaha Beach Map Development

What do you need exactly? As I may be able to get it or get someone to do it.

We need the model unwrapped and textured, Got it optimized to less than 2000 polys.

Here is the .Max file (2011 I think)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fs158c1m1fc6f6z/LCVP+Cleaned.rar

I can convert it to another format if needed

EDIT: Well as usual, lalup messaged me seconds after I posted this. I will let you know what he says.

lallup says he can now texture the model, but that he needs a "NON TRIANGULATED" version of the model to do so.

We are waiting to hear back from Dragon88 to see if he can convert the version I linked above to NON TRIANGULATED

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another Update on the LCVP:

The model is already NON-triangulated, but when lallup was exporting from Max to Maya, it was automatically triagngulating the model. He says he found a work around and will finish the model on Saturday. If this is true, we can release the map within the next week. I am working on a short video trailer for the map that Tremozl has agreed to add some of his original music to as well.

Upvote 0
Also, here is the latest Alpha update:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/redorchestra2/Omaha/WF-Omaha24.roe

Changes:

• Added more ambient sounds
  • Added Proper Collision to the Barbed Wire
  • Adjusted Culling of large objects and the bunker that Lemonater mentioned
  • F Cap now unlocks only when D and E are capped.
  • Moved some of the German Spawns as they were too far from the objectives (240m)
  • If you find others that seem too far, let me know. I dont want them too close, but want a nice balance.
  • Tobruk style bunker can now have an MG deployed from them, but there is an issue with the collision and it can be difficult to get in and out of the bunker
  • Added a "Library" to the I (Village West) objective to break up the map a bit
  • Added a small "Post Process Volume" around the bell tower of the church that makes distant objects appear more blurry. This was a test to keep this tower from being too OP and limiting the range of someone in it as the height was causing some unnatural culling. Any feedback on this would be welcomed.
  • Fixed the Germans spawning behind allied lines near end of map
  • Added a little more detail and variation to the beach.
  • Ideally, I would like to add a "wet" looking area to the sand near the water, but I think we may have reached our texture limit on this terrain.
  • Added two Panz4's near E cap that spawn under canvases that Dragon88 made. This was just a test, let me know if you think its a waste of time.
  • Automatic Artillery destroys two sections of the barbed wire near A and B once they are capped. As before, you can also destroy the barbed wire yourself with Satchels and Nades.
  • Random arty on beach stops falling after D and E are capped
  • Cap times have all been increased, most are 22 secs with the Final cap at 26

To Do:
  • Add LCVP and landing animations
  • Tweak church tower collision (mainly on stairs)
  • Little more detail to beach
  • Adjust Reinforcements if needed
  • A little more detail to some interior buildings
  • Add more Covernodes

What is everyone's opinion on the brightness of the map?
I feel like the areas in the village may be too dark?
Post your feedback or any problem areas you find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its not that dark. And I have a dark screen. Dark would be where I can't see anything at all. The factory in the last objective on Port Brest for example.

German Squad leaders seem to be completely decked out with american weapons. Hero german SLs get access to the carbine. And that it. But these guys have the carbine, Thompson, M1911, American grenade and the M8 smoke grenade. Which is really weird.

German snipers also cannot use the scoped KAR98k on Omaha either. Yet can on other maps.

The barbed wire being Destroyed on A/B capture shouldn't happen in a proper release. Just to get the bots through in testing.

American Spawns after A and B are also far too easy and again shouldn't be way up there until after C is capped.

Upvote 0
German Squad leaders seem to be completely decked out with american weapons. Hero german SLs get access to the carbine. And that it. But these guys have the carbine, Thompson, M1911, American grenade and the M8 smoke grenade. Which is really weird.

German snipers also cannot use the scoped KAR98k on Omaha either. Yet can on other maps.

Ahh shoot, yes SCUM told me about this, lallup set up all the roles and there are likely errors, I will fix this tomorrow...

The barbed wire being Destroyed on A/B capture shouldn't happen in a proper release. Just to get the bots through in testing.
I see what you mean here, but without this "feature", the Allies team would have no way to move off the beach without a human player on it? Making the map worthless to play without a populated server (maybe this isnt that important)

American Spawns after A and B are also far too easy and again shouldn't be way up there until after C is capped.

So should the beach spawns behind the boats remain as the spawn in point until C is capped?

Also what did you think of cap times? most are 22 secs with the Church being 26 I believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wont spam updates, but I addressed the mis-assigned roles and changed the spawns to what Lemonater had suggested. I did confirm that the main terrain layer of the map cannot handle any additional textures/layers. I really wish this had been thought threw a little better but oh well.

I have opted to utilize Decals to give the beach the wet look: http://imgur.com/a/GjHFx

Also, as you may know, SCUM has been giving a lot of good feedback on the map from a player's perspective. He composed this very informative video on his thoughts so far and at least to me, brings up some good points. I told him I'd share it here also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEDhlvc9cI

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mantle points. That's a thing. Most of your buildings don't have mantle points they only have cover nodes. Its getting real frustrating running up to windows and not being able to leap through them.

Ok next update will address these

Any particular reason why the first German radio is all the way back at G? And why can't the Germans mark Arty targets on the beach? The one thing the Germans had was artillery.

I havent actually laid out the radios yet, was going to do that today. The entire beach is a a spawn protection zone for allies to prevent germans from running down there. I also made it a no arty zone as I was very worried about Allies getting stuck on the beach the entire map. I believe that making it a spawn zone automatically makes it a no arty zone, but not 100% sure about this. Now there is obviously the very dense random arty that falls up until allies cap the Farm (F). But let me know what you think.

Also, for allies do you think they should have a radio on the beach, I was thinking of attaching one to a boat? The radio on the beach currently was placed there for testing and not intended to remain. Im sure you have also noticed the sticking point near the far left Allies spawn where bots can't move, I am working on this also.

To Do List:
  • Add details, debris, ambient sounds, and ReverbVolume to Church
  • Fix all Mantles / covernodes
  • add small puddles in the bottoms of the craters near the shore
  • Place all radios
  • Raise several walls near Village East that arent meant to be climbed, yet appear climbable
  • Fix sticking point for bots near shore
  • Add a little more variance to the beach
  • Create a Decal for beach errosion around the beach obstacles
Spoiler!

I have also begin to film and edit footage for a trailer. Looking for 90 - 120 secs as some of my others were a bit too lengthy.

Oh and what do you think of the ships off shore? Should there be more LST? More static LCVP's? Less Warships? Did you even notice them way out there? :p

Thanks for the input and I will post updated map in the morning :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could have minefield filled with German detecting mines in front of the beach. So if they try running out they end up getting blown up. If the spawn protection automatically means you can't place arty there anyway. You can swap spawn protection with something that just kills Germans who wander out onto the beach.

Some of the american warships got properly close. Like scrapping their hulls on the ocean floor close. Meaning they could pinpoint targets and fire directly at them. I don't know if you want to have a warship do a drive-by shooting or something. But the boats are alright as they are really.

The Americans do need a radio somewhere on the beach. If radiomen get working properly you could remove the beach radio and have the Americans rely on that.

Also I saw scums video and making a decal like that is I think what he means.

German artillery on the beach won't halt the Americans. Artillery covers an 80m radius. Mortars even less. The beach is huge. It won't cause the Americans to completely stop.

Upvote 0
Updated

https://s3.amazonaws.com/redorchestra2/Omaha/WF-Omaha29.roe

Unfortunately, it appears that the house lallup made has windows that are for whatever reason I have yet to determine, not compatible with mantling. Will see if I can get a new model from him at some point. I will prob add window frames that arent broken so no one gets frustrated trying to climb in. If there is another window you are talking about let me know.

I suspect the collision was not properly set up for this house, which may be the cause of the problem.
Spoiler!

Changes:
  • Added more detail to church interior
  • Added Reverb Volume to church interior
  • Added ambient sounds to chinterior
  • Added falling dust / debris emitters to church and barns
  • Added Camera Viewports to map (cameras u can see before round starts)
  • Made C cap two seconds longer
  • Adjusted German Spawns for D,E,F caps to make them slightly closer
  • Added Radios (5 total)
  • Added Spawn protection for Germans final 2 spawns
  • Added trails to steep hills to visually show traversible paths
  • Added Several more resupply points
  • Created low poly model for beach obstacles to fill distant area

Still to do:
  • Church tower stairs collision a little off, you can fall off
  • Erosion Decals
  • Allow German Arty on Beach
  • Devise a way to keep Germans off of beach
  • Add LCVPs
  • Fix any remaining cover node issues

Did this for the Allies Beach Radio:
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Been tossing this around for a few days now, but I am thinking that the cap time for the beach should be a bit longer and maybe have the objective area shifted a little off the water more. While I wince at having a map where Allies never get off the beach, I also dont want them to complete the entire beach cap in the first minute of the map.

For the initial release though, I think it best to lean towards ease of capping that way the map doesnt get stalled and we cant get any feedback for the rest of the map. Maybe going forward this can be tweaked. As always, your thoughts are welcomed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well good news and bad news for the LCVP:

The model is done and is a good quality model of 2000 polys. It is also split into two parts, the Hull and the Ramp for easy animation with matinee. Proper Collision has also been added by lallup.

The model is still not UV Mapped so the entire model can have a single material applied to it via the SDK. The second UV Channel for lighting is also not properly mapped so when lighting is built, the model has all sorts of weird pixels and artifacts out of place. A quick fix for this is to simply delete the second UV channel and then reimport it (Something we had to do with the church also).

So at this point, I am adding the boats "as is" and will set up the animations and test the initial spawns. I may also play with some decals, at least for the static boats that are "beached". This is not a long term solution and I plan on unwrapping the model myself later this week. At that point I may try to slap a simple texture on it, but can also send it to one of you for texturing. The second UV channel can also be properly added once we get it UV mapped correctly.

Upvote 0
Test went well. Found a few small bugs, all of which I have addressed but one. We ran into a problem with the boat ramp matinee. The ramps "attached" themselves to the boat hulls at the wrong place (only seems to happen online). I have implemented a fix I hope, but need Moskeeto to test it online. Other than that, things are wrapping up in the next 5 - 7 days Id say.

I still have to switch out the houses to see if the collision will allow mantling now. Going to add one or two other skins for the LCVP and texture the ramp to match the hull.

I removed the vanilla spawned tank from F. Does the one now sitting there seem out of place? I have a similar idle "live" tank on Brest that blows up when Allies capture the Dockyard, I can add a similar feature here or I can move it, or put it somewhere off to the side where its just more decoration.

Upvote 0
OK another test went well and solved the boat ramp problem!

Still to do:

• Texture Ramp
  • Add Sound to ramp deploying
  • Cobblestone Road in Vierville rather than the dirt road
  • Add another skin or two for LCVP
  • Possibly adjust the boat movement in the water to give it a bounce (if anyone has a good reference for this, Im all ears)
  • Change out Houses to update the Collision
  • Does anyone else notice odd colors on overhead map image?
  • Finishing filming and editing trailer, Tremozl has begun work on the music. We are shooting for about 2:30 long video
  • Unless someone has a better idea, will prob leave the spawn protection on beach

Upvote 0