• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

OFP2 or ARMA2?

OFP2 or ARMA2?

• Total voters

Divinehammer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2006
Sunny, Obamalot
Maybe there is a comaprison thread out there but I could not find one. I am wondering now that both of these are out which is the better venture? I see that Best Buy has OFP2 on sale this week so that does not bode very well for it.
Are there any groups from this board joining up for coop play?
Hopefully we can compare the pros and cons of what people like about each game. Thanks.

Dragon Rising is a mainstream shooter and feels a lot like Battlefield and not like Operation Flashpoint. so if you are looking for a real sequal to Operation Flashpoint, then DR is a no-go.
You can just see it was made for a console.

Personally, ArmA 2 all the way.
Better controls and more movement options, less clunky except inside buildings, larger scale, better-looking overall, better modding capability, no size-limited maps in multiplayer.
Then there is the option to control several squads, or even Warfare, a kind of RTS mode where you can control an entire army.
ArmA 2 has more content, and does way more gameplay wise.
That's not to say it's without problems, because with an open-world sandbox game like this there will always be unforseen situations which might screw with the game a bit.

Just make sure you have a rig that can handle the game.
That's the only thing DR does kinda right, in that it performs better then ArmA 2. At the same time the graphics are crap, if you look past the damn HDR filter they put over it, coloring the entire world in either orange or light-blue which i guess should resemble the night. Also, the radio voice-overs are less robotic, i'll have to admit.
Other then that, DR is underwhelming in every way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO, none of them. Both of them are better than others in some areas but in the end they're all unpolished bug ridden performance hogs.

If you really have to choose go for OFP2 for SP and ArmA 2 for MP(note: if you have friends unless you enjoy spending 4 hours in public Evo and Warfare maps).

Upvote 0
I voted OFP DR because thats what I've been playing - its frustrating as hell, stupid AI and no save points - I just want to get through the campaign. It does shine at times though, sounds are better than ARMA2 I think and seems to run much much better on my machine.

DR had so much promise multiplayer-wise, hell it could even be a modern-day RO with dedicated servers and map editors, but only coop campaign doesn't make it in the long run.

ARMA2 I uninstalled because of the broken campaign and clunky interface but probably will reinstall sooner or later.

Upvote 0
Both are disapointing in one way or the other.

ArmA II has the better graphics, is more realistic, has huge areas and more vehicles (if you are into that, I'm not). Yet it also has a horrible command system, mixed bag AI and ****ty sounds. The campaign is somewhat boring too.

OFP-DR has very mediocre and unrealistic graphics (extreme contrast) and an even worse AI at times. It is less realistic but still realistic enough to pass as a tactical shooter. It has better sounds and a better (yet still clumsy) command interface. The campaign is again somewhat boring, but feels still more motivating than ARMA II imo. Still the game is also very consolesque, which makes many simple things unnecessarily awkward.

If you play coop with guys who never played or heard of games like OFP then go for Dragon Rising. If your guys are pros in games like OFP, Rainbow Six etc. go for ARMA II. Better yet go play football, chess or hit the gym or something.

Upvote 0