• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

OFP2 or ARMA2?

OFP2 or ARMA2?

• Total voters
are there still servers out there playing this? I still have the original just need to get resistance and then I am sure a ton of mods.

I have not touched it for a long time so i cannot comment on that. Stay away from public games as its very underwhelming. The way i look at Arma and OFP is you need to be part of an active community dedicated to playing the game to get the most out of it. Once your in a group you will then need to download many mods and addons your group of choice uses. This forum is the best place as any to find a group of people to play with. The Dutchies here also have an active community that play a lot of Arma 2.

To be honest, if its multiplayer you want then you are probably better off with Arma2. It is one of those games that demands a lot from you, but the more you put into it the more you get back from it. Its unfortunate that the entry ticket into this unique world of gaming has a hefty price tag.

If you want a good single player campaign with no technical issues then i strongly recommend Resistance. You already have the original so you know what you are getting yourself into.

As for Operation Flashpoint 2, i would not recommend this to any gamer that owns a personal computer.

I have a 6400 wolfdale, asus board 4GB Ram and a 8800GTS OC how do you think that will do on each of these games?

Arma 2 seems to be terribly CPU bottlenecked. I have a i7 920 with a GTX295 and i barley break 30FPS in some missions in the campaign. That is with all details to 'off' or 'low'. Performance seems to be related to AI - the less AI in a mission the better it runs and as such you can ramp up the detail settings. Don't say i didn't warn you though.

Upvote 0
Arma 2 seems to be terribly CPU bottlenecked. I have a i7 920 with a GTX295 and i barley break 30FPS in some missions in the campaign. That is with all details to 'off' or 'low'. Performance seems to be related to AI - the less AI in a mission the better it runs and as such you can ramp up the detail settings. Don't say i didn't warn you though.

Interesting, I have a i5 750 and a HD5850 and I almost never dip below 30fps. This is everything at "very high" and 1680x1050 res. You should be doing better than me.

Upvote 0
Arma 2 runs a lot better on ati cards. If you have 2 5870's in crossfire you dont drop below 60.

this is interesting as my next build will have arma 1/2 in mind - sorry to mini hijack but anyone know how ati and nvid (equvilent priced/spec cards as i presume you mean) generally match up on other engines - specifically unreal 3?
I would also ask source but i guess being the older tech modern cards from both manufacturers handle it with ease.

I'm not breaking the bank on my next pc - so it would be nice to have a heads up about the most effective performance for the games i wish to play - with ARMA being one and of course HoS being another.

Upvote 0
Unreal Engine 3.0 games will fly on a GTX 280/HD4890 or higher at any res these days. Give or take with the AA options you choose.

If you can get hold of one, grab a 5870. Its the fastest single GPU card available.

There is no reason not to buy from either manufacturer. If a game runs like a slide show on nVidia hardware, then it will run like a slide show on equivalence ATI hardware.

Upvote 0
buy arma 2, wait for ACE2 (Advanced combat experience). Say goodbye to all other games, life, relatives, friends, close door to room with barfridge filled with next weeks food. go nuts... ( may i recommend starting with an H&K 417 ACOG ... *DROOOOL* ), that and an alice backpack, 30kg's of ammo, some satchels, medical supplies, nades, smokes, one or two law tubes, then go find the top of some building on domination and KIIILLLLLLLL...

Upvote 0
this is interesting as my next build will have arma 1/2 in mind - sorry to mini hijack but anyone know how ati and nvid (equvilent priced/spec cards as i presume you mean) generally match up on other engines - specifically unreal 3?
I would also ask source but i guess being the older tech modern cards from both manufacturers handle it with ease.

I'm not breaking the bank on my next pc - so it would be nice to have a heads up about the most effective performance for the games i wish to play - with ARMA being one and of course HoS being another.

Always watch the markets and wait for a release from one of the two companies, then buy the other companies card. IE a year ago or so before the 4870 series, nvidia was *** raping everyone on their 275's or some card like that, the 4870 came out and i remmeber one particular nvidia card being reduced in price TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS in one day. that or to buy some 5870s right after the 6870 comes out

Upvote 0
Of course the 5870 is the fastest single GPU card on the planet and is priced accordingly but 40nm is one of the main reasons the 5870 prices are high and availability is low. The fab facility AMD uses is having problems yielding good chips. Your lucky if you manage to pick one up for Christmas.

nVidia will release their 40nm part estimated Q1 2010. If performance is 25% or more faster than the 5870, expect to see these cards around the

Upvote 0
buy arma 2, wait for ACE2 (Advanced combat experience). Say goodbye to all other games, life, relatives, friends, close door to room with barfridge filled with next weeks food. go nuts... ( may i recommend starting with an H&K 417 ACOG ... *DROOOOL* ), that and an alice backpack, 30kg's of ammo, some satchels, medical supplies, nades, smokes, one or two law tubes, then go find the top of some building on domination and KIIILLLLLLLL...

Or faint from exhaustion on your way getting there :D

Upvote 0
A bit late, but I'll give my thoughts:

Both are decent games with a lot of bugs. Neither games are what they were supposed to be.

Arma 2 is overall more realistic and more of a simulation.

OFP2 is a very light tactical shooter.

Both have rather poor weapon modeling (but OFP2 might have a slight edge here).

ArmA 2 still lacks more than 3 weapon animations, while OFP2 has one for every weapon (only dry reloads though).

ArmA2's UI and command interface sucks. OFP2's isn't as good as SWAT 4's or GRAW 1/2 PC, but it is better.

AI in both games can be extremely stupid.

Both games have a lot of bugs.

ArmA 2 is far more demanding on your system though.

Graphically, they are about equal.

OFP2 feels more polished overall.

They both have mission editors. OFP2s is harder to use. You can't place way points without scripting... really stupid. Both have their good parts, but neither are ideal.

ArmA 2 seems to be a lot better in terms of multiplayer, and there are more mods.

Voice acting in OFP2 is much better.

Overall, both games fail to deliver. But, they are both pretty decent.

Get ArmA 2 when the expansion pack comes out, and get OFP2 when the price drops as well.

That way you get both for the same price.

Upvote 0
Or faint from exhaustion on your way getting there :D

I tended to parachute and walk alot when i wasent playing with the 3rd infantry division. When I play with those guys we have a ~25kg max limit, that way you can run around and such, but if im gonna be parking my keister somewheres, ive been known to grab up to 100kg incl the 24kg parachute.:D

(haha like the time i grabbed a javelin and 3 missles for it..., gotta love the allice backpack. )

BACK TO THE OP:

Look peoples if your gonna buy it to just play it for a while get tired of it and forget you have the game go ofp2 because it is as good as it will ever be firhg now. arma 2 however has mods, many of which havent been released yet but some are out; IE there are roleplaying mods between cops and civvies (chernarus life), or even further enhanced realism mods like ACE (advanced combat experience).

The wonderfull thing about ace is that many people including myself have always thought "hey wouldent it be cool if there was a game so realistic you could do just about anything militarily?"
Ace attempts to do that, I dont know what ACE2 for arma 2 will be like yet so i will just describe ACE1 for arma1. Taking a laser pointer as a ground operator, turning it on and pointing it at something you want destroyed, the air guys can either drop lgb's that will guide on your laser, or the rotary wing can from a distance away fire a hellfire with proper settings, it flies on until it locks your laser, then hits the target. So perhaps big bombs/missles isnt your thing? ok go grab yourself a m40 and prepare yourself for some kick *** sniping. so you got yourself up on top of a hill, say a good 800M from the target, heres the wonderfull part. pull out your binocs and look around, find the enemy, pull the laser pointer, get range to target, pull out the rifle, shift d(deploy bipod), shift v. shift v(or was it c?) pulls up your relivant scope information and lets you adjust either by range or individual MOA, the baddies are at 835M? simply crank the scope up to about rang 800M, then increase one or two MOA beyond that to get to ~835 (it helps to know how many MOA are in that 100 meter incraese, at higher ranges more will be needed to raise to the next 100, just increase 1/3 of that number of MOA).

Well other then picking priority targets(officers/artilery officers) your all set up to give somone a new nose peircing at 800M with the first bullet.
The only downside i know to the arma series is their simplistic tank armour system, even more simplistic then RO's....*tear*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ace seems great, but the method of downloading it they chose was piss poor. Very hard to get it work work, so far all my attempts were not successful.

If it was a normal .rar download, I would have had it done a long time ago.

I'll wait for a proper/normal download that doesn't require a bloated program, thanks.

If they ever do release one like that, someone post the link.

Upvote 0