• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Off-Road speed

Letum

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006
Is it me or do the tanks and other vehicles seam a little fast off road?

Its nice to see T-34s flying up the banks of Arad river, but I would never drive at that speed over rought terrain in a tank.
The suspension on tanks was not very advanced, rider comfort was minimal and tanks where usualy very prone to break down at high of-road speeds.

Basically my problem is that you can drive at any speed you like.
Unless you need to shoot most people just whack the throttle on full.
This is most noticeable with the clown car, but also with the faster tanks.

Am I wrong or did tankers just whack the throttle on full?

The tanks don't move realistically currently, but I'm not sure if that's due to engine limitations or what. Things we don't model include:

- Suspension and rocking motion from gun firing, stopping abruptly, turning, etc.

- Different speeds on different terrains (rough terrain, mud, roads, etc.)

- Overheating of engine/burning out the transmission or clutch (probably not an engine limitation but more of a "too much of a pain in the ass" issue)

Oh, and none of our tanks have smoke rounds either. :) That'd be really useful to have on some maps (if they came pre-loaded with smoke).

Anyway, like I said, could be engine limitations, could be too much of this stuff is just a pain. I have a feeling things like terrain speeds and independent suspensions are engine limitations, whereas overheating is just too much of a pain.

Upvote 0
i think stuff like the tanks mobility needs to be fixed before worriing about this. Right now a tank can get stuck on a rail road tie. If they made tanks as off road friendly as they really should be then maybe stuff like this would be worth adding. But right now we need to drive around a 3 foot stone fence instead of just driving up and over it. oh and that barb wire fence will stop a tank better then it will stop cows! Oh hey your tank is on a bit of a side slope... its gonna slide sideways real slow untill you move it or get to the bottom. because yeah tanks dont have any weight or traction or anything. they just like to slide. Yeah get the current tank mobility issues fixed before adding in more problems to perfect.

Upvote 0
Maybe Im one of few that played Panzer Elite...In that game you had to switch gears to make the tank climb a cliff and all that + you had the chance to make the engine work at 120% but just for a few second/minutes otherwise you got the ovehating problem. You also had a wheel brake button for the tank not to slide down the slopes.

Upvote 0
i would love to see gear changing and engine overheating and stuff like that. Anything to give the driver more to do. Right now all the driver does is move the tank and angle it. And the tank angle in the game is way too important. Yeah angle should play a role but not as important of a role as it does. A angled tank shouldnt be indestructable. That track thats now pointing at the enemy should be a easy thing to target to disable the tank. the turrets main gun should be easy to destroy if hit. if a shot lands between the haul and the turret it should stop the turret from turning. Then angle would be less important and the driver wouldnt have anything to do but move the tank. So if the tank system is fixed it needs to be added to to give the driver more to do.

Add gear changing wheel brake or whatever they had that was like a parking brake to keep it from rolling. overheating from overworking the engine. The ablity to drive up slowly to a 3 foot or so stone fence and to be able to climb up and over it like a real tank could. Then making road travel faster then offroad would be great. Oh yeah and get local chat working in tanks so tankers can talk to eachother and do some real team tanking.

Upvote 0