• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] of the year [2011 Edition]

of the year [2011 Edition]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah Skyrim is GOTY for sure, such a huge game, everyone is talking about it, and not just the forums, even at work we have discussions about stuff we've discovered over lunch, and these are people who usually don't play a lot of games.

Yep

Skyrim is a great game. Beautifull, fun, a good challenge.
This is one of the very few games that came out in the last 2 years of wich i can say=This game was worth every euro/dollar i payed for it

Upvote 0
Skyrim without a doubt. TES has been my favourite series since 1996, and if that wasn't enough Skyrim done away with the awful grindy, min/maxy crap that Beth pulled with Morrowind and Oblivion. Sure, the mechanics are a bit more simplified, but at least they aren't AWFUL.

Sure, there's a few issues here or there, but a lot of them can be overlooked. The rest will be easily overlooked once the Creation Kit is out.

Personally though there just wasn't a lot of competition for me. Seldom if any games actually seemed worth a purchase more than anything this year. Next year though Guild Wars 2 is gonna probably reduce my TES time to very few hours a week.

Upvote 0
I'm playing Batman Arkham City...

How the *ucking hell did they pull out all that goodness from the UnrealEngine ?

It would not be fair to vote here because I haven't played Skyrim myself although I've been looking over someones shoulder who does and it looks good.

The first time that I made Catwoman pounce from building to building I was impressed, very impressed.

Even BF3, which is good, did not really impress me.

I would vote for Catwoman however (given the chance) because she's got a nice meow ! :D

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
Bumping this for those who didn't vote yet.

I just finished Uncharted 3(just won GOTY @gametrailers.com btw) and feel a bit sentimental now :p It's been SUCH a great year for gaming, really. Last year that great was probably 2007 with CoD4, Crysis, HL2:EP2 and BioShock. There are just SO many superb games. Uncharted 3 which right now stands as my personal GOTY, the dark fantasy of The Witcher 2, the epicness of Skyrim (which I only put 11h in yet), Portal 2, Arkham City which I didn't play yet, Dark Souls, Battlefield 3/Modern Warfare 3/Red Orchestra 2 -> no matter what you think about one of them - they were each eagerly awaited by their fans and have or had a huge fanbase, Skyward Sword for the Wii guys, the succesful comeback of Deus Ex, Mortal Kombat which is the best fighting game I've ever played, L.A. Noire which I loved as well. Then you had great indie titles like Minecraft, The Binding of Isaac, Bastion or Outland. As I understand there even was something for the hardcore simulation guys with DCS A-10C Warthog.

It's a great time to be a gamer.

Upvote 0
Weird thing about Skyrim, It was my GOTY for the first 100 hours, but I reached 110 and I suddenly got fed up and now I can't even touch it.

I change my vote to Dark Souls.

FO3 bored me to death in the end. 100 hours into it though which is great. Considering how long we've played the titles it is no wonder we got bored of them eventually.

Upvote 0
After finishing Arkham City yesterday, mine would be Portal 2.

To be honest, Arkham City has gazillion more content than Arkham Asylum but the story is all over the place. They tried to cram in all the villains in the Batman universe but it didn't work. Not a bad game, but I enjoyed Arkham Asylum much more.

Upvote 0
I've got about 21 hours in Skyrim. Easily my favorite WRPG yet - none of that character sheet BS that requires outside research to make a viable character, you just do what you want and if you're indecisive you can save up your perks for later. Though, you do still have to do a bit of "min-maxing" (if I know what that means) to survive on Master. I'm getting a bit frustrated; basic enemies are cake to take, but then I'm being crushed completely by bandit chiefs and ice wraiths - I have to chug half my potions, buff myself in every way possible, and pop berserker rage just to have a chance of survival with my level 16 orc warhammer-wielding heavy armor-wearing enchanting alchemist. It's harder than Demon's Souls! Hopefully someone can tell me if it gets easier later on, otherwise I may have to ***** out and go down to Adept. I don't go for that talking to NPCs and crafting Renaissance Faire crap, I just want to explore and whack things with a hammer.

Human Revolution was a lot of fun, it created a nice atmosphere in an immersive world. Though, I feel like the writers knew a hell of a lot less about what they were writing about than those of Deus Ex 1, and the technology level is very inconsistent. In DX1 the environments basically looked like the present with a few technological improvements. In Human Revolution you have Midgar in China, an anti-gravity aug, and a high tech plasma rifle that is far more advanced than the one in DX1, and that's just to name a few of the holes. It also seems FAR more stylized to a ridiculous degree (I love how the enemies stand there and watch you kill their teammates during takedowns). Still, shouldn't keep you from enjoying the game unless you're a real nerd for the first one like myself.

My game of the year for 2011 is definitely Dead Space 2. It's not even scary. The weapons are just fun as hell to use, and the enemies fun to kill. The minute-to-minute gameplay is immensely satisfying to the point that I've played through about 7-8 times even though it's a scripted corridor shooter, and I'll go back for more. If they made a wave-based survival coop mode for the multiplayer, it'd give Killing Floor a serious run for its money.

Honorable mention: Bastion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harb
Upvote 0
My game of the year for 2011 is definitely Dead Space 2. It's not even scary. The weapons are just fun as hell to use, and the enemies fun to kill. The minute-to-minute gameplay is immensely satisfying to the point that I've played through about 7-8 times even though it's a scripted corridor shooter, and I'll go back for more. If they made a wave-based survival coop mode for the multiplayer, it'd give Killing Floor a serious run for its money.

+1

Dead Space 2 was great. Like you say it's more survival than horror
Spoiler!

It has great set pieces, visual design, plays well and has interesting mechanical puzzles. The Sprawl like the USG Ishimura in DS1 is a well drawn out environment.

It's a shame it's getting overlooked somewhat and is close to my favourite of the year as well :)

Upvote 0
The story really is an aspect where the premise "more and bigger" didn't work out for Arkham City. However, it's the only case of this, and not significant enough to really drag it down. After the last boss of Arkham Asylum you could consider the game finished, after the last boss of Arkham City you're most likely not even halfway through.

Mr. Freeze is my most memorable boss battle in ages. And even my personal favourite The Witcher 2 would be a better game with the combat system of those Batman games.

Upvote 0