• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Of Menus and Men

- Yes, any class can be a squad leader. One problem we noticed in RO2/RS1 was that players sometimes chose to be SL because of the loadout it offered, which leads to people not playing SL with leadership in mind.

- Yes, though at the moment we're trying smoke grenades being class based, not given to squad leader roles. One of the concerns we have with giving them to SLs in the new system is having lots of one-man squads for a big stack of smoke grenades on a team. You can see how that might cause issues.

- Similarly to RO2/RS in broad terms. Squad leaders can mark targets (you don't need binocs for this incidentally; but SLs get binoculars added to their loadout in either case.)

Good ****. Thanks for the response.

Upvote 0
- Similarly to RO2/RS in broad terms. Squad leaders can mark targets (you don't need binocs for this incidentally; but SLs get binoculars added to their loadout in either case.)
Why?

If the dumb zoom feature is still in then that effectively makes the binoculars redundant. Just under what circumstance should i use binoculars then?

alongside that it also removes a small but satisfying gameplay element of killing binocular peeking squad leaders that you may or may not have saved your team from a devastating artillery mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hmm.. 6 man squads are a bit low if you ask me. i see it fits from an organizational stand point, you can have 5 full squads on a 32 men server, leaving 1 slot for commaner and 1 empty slot (co-commander maybe?).

But, if you look from a realistic perspective, 8 men is a minimum for a squad, mostly the squad is 9 soldiers, 1 squad leader with 2 teamleaders and 6 soldiers or 11 soldiers, 1 squad leader, 2 teamleaders and 8 soldiers.
6 men is just a bigger fireteam than a squad really.

Maybe go with a mehanic of 8 max players in a squad with a posibility to lock the squad at 6 players or more, so that people cant lock a 5-2 men squad like they often do it Project Reality.

Anyways,keep up the good work! Cant wait to play the game :)

Upvote 0
Why?

If the dumb zoom feature is still in then that effectively makes the binoculars redundant. Just under what circumstance should i use binoculars then?

alongside that it also removes a small but satisfying gameplay element of killing binocular peeking squad leaders that you may or may not have saved your team from a devastating artillery mark.

As an SL or commander in RO2 you don't need to use the binocs to mark a target - but it's more convenient and precise.

Upvote 0
If its not too late in the development process, a possible consideration for asymmetric gameplay with a nod to historical roots would be different "squad" sizes for the different teams.

In the NVA and VC, soldiers were organized into cells of 3 men. 3 cells formed a squad. 3 squads formed a platoon and so forth up the order of battle.

The NVA and VC could get 3 man "cells" instead of the 6 man "squads" found on the US and allied side. This could be beneficial depending on whatever special abilities are unlocked. For example, if the NVA/VC got the ability to plant booby traps, they could be more evenly spread out. Moreover, if you gave them a rally point spawn system, the NVA/VC frontline could be more dispersed with a greater ability to flank their enemies. It'd be harder to locate and find 10 cell-only spawn points than it would to just destroy 5 larger ones.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an SL or commander in RO2 you don't need to use the binocs to mark a target - but it's more convenient and precise.
Yeah, we know. But it is unnecessary, makes the binoculars redundant (I've never used them after I discovered the shortcut) and the shortcut arrow exposed enemies behind bushes and smoke. It was some kind of wallhack. Watch this video if you don't understand:

Marker Wallhack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjUwIS_nfhQ at 5:20 (same goes for the white dots on the side of the screen)

Make the binoculars great again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll agree with this, unless the maps are big and classes that could benefit from having an impromptu optic are given them, they are only useful for marking. I never used them for anything else. If you're not marking in another way, like on the map, they should be mandatory.

Having anyone be the SL, seems weird to me from a realism standpoint and also of how will you id the SL when either friend of foe? I always got great satisfaction from killing enemy officers, especially as the popped their head up with binoculars to get a mark. Will the SL role have a specific uniform but they can choose any weapon or any role with the corresponding loadout can be SL?

Upvote 0
@Brembo: We are not prepared to discuss that yet.

More generally:

- That arty marker wallhack is something I only just discovered myself this week. I will definitely be fixing that. You will still be able to mark artillery using the quick orders widget, but to address concerns about it making the binoculars redundant... not anymore. ;)

- Smoke grenades are given to the Pointman/Scout class currently (depending on which team you're on)

- Class icons are placeholder, so don't worry about things like Grenadier showing a shovel. Though you can probably safely assume that the Marksman will continue to have a crosshair icon and the MG will keep his bullets icon. :)

- To the question about whether squads have role caps or anything like that, the answer is no. You can choose a squad first or you can choose a class first, the game doesn't care, and you can have 6 MGs in a single squad if you really want (and if a map actually has 6 MGs on it).

Upvote 0

A somewhat realistic form of zoom that real life binocs give you.
I know I use them sometimes when I try to team play and try to note where MGs are, or if playing in a tank and want to see if I can spot where the enemy is hiding.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Its a cheaper way of doing it as you don't have to store a massive video around somewhere. Older games that had to be stored on CDs did this first. Still kinda reverent. That spec ops the line menu. You're looking at a 5Gb uncompressed 1080 video right there in traditional formats to get it to look like that.

Not that it's much different from having a video in the background. I mean it's a main menu. Something that people are only gonna look at for 3 seconds while they press server browser and join a game.

Those kinds of menus are generally for singleplayer, heavily story driven games. Where the main menu is often relevant in some way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0