• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Of Menus and Men

Could you clarify how the roles will be allocated?

So, you pick mg, which I assume is limited teamwide to some number. Since squads are not fixed like in the past, could you then join a squad with 3 other mgs? or would you be blocked somehow and have to join a squad with an empty mg slot?

Does each squad have the same set role set? One mg, one engineer, one marksman etc.

Can you pick a squad first and then see what roles it has left or do you have to pick the role first?

The weapon images are lost on a dark background, they'd look better sitting on a lighter, semitransparent layer. Show them off.

I was thinking of writing the same questions regarding role/squad selection. I don't think it would be nice to have a squad with 3 mgs and the rest with no mgs for example.

Also the M14/M16 dropdown selection made me wonder if it would be a free choice like that for every map/faction, or we might have early war maps with just the M14 for example. Or even a late war map with just M16. Or late war NVA having better armament than, let's say early war VC.
Anyway RS1 already had this to some extent (not having Garand and Carbine for Guadalcanal), and if RS2 has less weapon/upgrade unlocking stuff, i can't really see why we couldn't have practically different weapon options for different maps.

And one more thing: keep up the good work guys :)

Upvote 0
Wouldn't the loadout screen be more logical if it was
(from left to right)
Squad - Class - Loadout
?
I mean like this (please forgive the quality but I have to get to bed...)
cheapneasym8.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i hope you dont get your experience ruined in a bad squad like in Squad (the game).. i love ro2 because i can just jump in and enjoy the game.

As Sturt and Jack mention here and here, we don't want to alienate players by forcing them through squads to enjoy the game. But the tools are there for friends or strangers to play together and create their own fun, with other small incentives attached. With the squad menu being more visible and accessible, players that do want that experience, or players that may not have been aware of the squad system in RO2/RS, have more choice than before.

Upvote 0
6 man squads are what we are currently working with. We don't want to end up with half the team on one squad (ala RO 2), but we also want to make sure there are enough people in a squad that they can work as a unit and have fun, AND IF they have more than enough for one squad, can can split that squad into two and still have enough for each squad to work effectively.

Smoke grenades have been put into different classes in our current alpha build.

Upvote 0
This was kind of how RO1 was organized, at least nominally. The commander class was literally called a "squad/section leader" for both the Germans and Soviets, and any subsequent organization would logically be fire-teams (though the game didn't feature any kind of fire-team system, players had to hash it out on the fly). This made sense when teams hovered around 15 players on each side, but at around 32 each those squads were awfully bloated.

My question is, if team leaders are now "pointmen" (an assumption based on the binoculars symbol), will they still function as mobile spawns and be discouraged from entering objectives, like RO2's SLs? It would be contradictory to call them pointmen but implement mechanics that encourage them to stay behind instead of lead from the front. It might be inconsistent with the other names, but a title like "corporal" or "non-com" would clear up what their intended purpose is while still allowing for very small groups like the aforementioned 6-man teams.

If they don't function identically to the squad leaders of RO2, then.. uhh.. how do they work? :eek:

Upvote 0
I don't see a squad leader class, but I do see Staff Sergeant insignia next to your name, Yoshira. This eads me to some questions.

Questions:
Does that mean that any class can be a squad leader?
Does the Squad Leader role have any role specific equipment (smokes, binoculars, etc.)?
How will the artillery, mortar, airstrike system work?
Can only the commander mark the points for artillery, or will squad leaders still be able to if given binoculars? RO1 vs RS2/RS essentially.

Suggestion based on how the questions are answered
If only the Commander is able to mark and call in mortar, artillery, and air strikes, I think there should be a Radioman class. This would ensure that the Commander would always be able to call in strikes where ever he is, and not need to run half way across the map just to reach a static radio. Because of the squad system, I think there should be a default squad called "Headquarters." The only two people, who would be automatically assigned to it, would be the Commander and the Radioman. I think it would be more streamlined than having the Radioman in a direct combat squad, which would force that Player to essentially have to roles (combat and support).

Upvote 0
I'm still not sure about the squad system...
I still feel like the possibility of creating squads manually and locking them will result in people creating a squad with their friends, lock it and proceed to play on their own instead of playing with the whole team.
It's a phenomenon you can perfectly witness in Battlefield games. The teams don't play as "teams" but as lots of individual small groups playing isolated from the rest of the team...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still feel like the possibility of creating squads manually and locking them will result in people creating a squad with their friends, lock it and proceed to play on their own instead of playing with the whole team.
It's a phenomenon you can perfectly witness in Battlefield games. The teams don't play as "teams" but as lots of individual small groups playing isolated from the rest of the team...

Squad (game) has possibility of creating and locking squads, but the teamplay in that game is much better than in any RO game. Having played BF series a lot I am sure that most of its target audience find it more fun to jump from the roof with parachute while shooting RPG rather than teamplay. So the problem is within stupid people and their lack of desire to teamplay.

Upvote 0

The squad system isn't to blame there, Battlefield games have always been more sandbox with very little structure to their gameplay. Whereas RO/RS is developed in a way that the whole team attack objectives together despite if you're in a squad or not you're end goals are the same.

And yes you can lock your squad, there is a padlock symbol top left next to the squad name.

Upvote 0

this is an improvement from the current system

also if grenadier's going to be using the n00b t00b, replace his shovel with images of 40mm grenades so people know exactly what they're getting :cool:

Upvote 0
Better having players in small squads achieving the whole team goal than having one bloated squad and 2 others with 2 players.

There never really was good teamplay in RO2/RS. You achieved your team goal by playing the squad leader with the most players, being a mobile spawn and forcing half of the team spawning near or in the territory so the players won't miss the goal. And I hated how you never really felt like you play in a squad and you always felt disconnected with your whole team not just teamplay wise. And it was nearly impossible to play with your friend, it was no fun.

When the squads are actually working together in RS2 a lot is done. If this really works then you have to encourage them to work as a team together afterwards in a way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The squad system isn't to blame there, Battlefield games have always been more sandbox with very little structure to their gameplay. Whereas RO/RS is developed in a way that the whole team attack objectives together despite if you're in a squad or not you're end goals are the same.

And yes you can lock your squad, there is a padlock symbol top left next to the squad name.

Sounds good to me. :)

Can a SL kick trolls from your squad, or once in they're in?

It will be interesting to see how many people embrace being in a squad and how many continue to play as before on their own.

Squad (game) has possibility of creating and locking squads

Can't lock them at this point, but I expect it to come down the road.

Upvote 0
Questions:
Does that mean that any class can be a squad leader?
Does the Squad Leader role have any role specific equipment (smokes, binoculars, etc.)?
How will the artillery, mortar, airstrike system work?
Can only the commander mark the points for artillery, or will squad leaders still be able to if given binoculars? RO1 vs RS2/RS essentially.

- Yes, any class can be a squad leader. One problem we noticed in RO2/RS1 was that players sometimes chose to be SL because of the loadout it offered, which leads to people not playing SL with leadership in mind.

- Yes, though at the moment we're trying smoke grenades being class based, not given to squad leader roles. One of the concerns we have with giving them to SLs in the new system is having lots of one-man squads for a big stack of smoke grenades on a team. You can see how that might cause issues.

- Similarly to RO2/RS in broad terms. Squad leaders can mark targets (you don't need binocs for this incidentally; but SLs get binoculars added to their loadout in either case.)

Upvote 0
- Similarly to RO2/RS in broad terms. Squad leaders can mark targets (you don't need binocs for this incidentally; but SLs get binoculars added to their loadout in either case.)
I would suggest making the binoculars a must. There is no reason to make the shortcut. It just makes things faster and more arcade.

And don't forget to fix the "wallhack" with the marking this time! Pressing the "mark" button made you see people in smokes or behind bushes because your crosshair changed when you hovered over enemies.

Upvote 0