• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Odd stuff

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
Anyone else noticed how much really odd stuff has been left in the game that really should of been changed long ago or never made it into the game in the first place. Im talking about minor bugs or annoyances.

Like barashaka the german infantry spawn half track. you get in the half track and wait for a few germans to get in then start to drive off and another half track spawns under you before your out of the spot and flips yours up onto its side. right in the spawn. This has been happening a long time and is pretty annoying. But no fix.

Or how about the fact that when your crouched or standing someone can lay down next to you and crawl under you and launch you up into the air out from behind cover to get you killed. So you can bump people up in the air but... you cant bump them side to side like to get them out of a door way they are blocking or something. Severe lack of realism in every way. I can understand not being able to bump a player out of the way but why can someone crawl under you and bump you up into the air? Its annoying as hell and happens fairly often sometimes on accedent sometimes not.

And the 50 player cap for konigsplats. russians get 5 tank crew and 1 tank commander and they get a t34 and a is2 6 tankers with 5 places for them to tank from. Someone cant add. But this has slipped through 2 patches.

Local chat in tanks to talk to your tank crew... Huge feature in the game totally broken. Hard bug to fix? maybe but its very broken and the game has been out a long time now.

Recoil that is random based on framerate. why would framerate have anything to do with recoil? Get some real bad frame rates and that ppsh will be pointed at the sky in no time. Or from what i have been told if they get even worse you will have no recoil at all. That just dosnt seem right.

Nades not going where they show they go. Ever thrown a nade threw a window over your head? see it go through the window then have it blow up at your feet. seems the nades arch is diffrent then it shows in the game. You need to aim a little high. Very annoying bug.

Tanks that cant climb over a small bump thats only a foot or two high when most of the tanks could climb up and over a 3 foot 90 degree step without any trouble.

Tanks that slide sideways on the slightest hill. I guess 30-34 tons spread out over some huge tracks just dosnt get traction. That just dosnt seem right at all.

Teamed up in a tank your the driver your gunner sticks his head out of the cannon with the cannon turned to the side. he gets killed so you change to the gunners seat then watch as the gun automaticly turns itself back to the 12oclock position then you have to move it back while your getting shot at. This can be very annoying when your getting shot at.

Auto dropping weapons when your trying to pick up a extra nade or two off the ground. you end up tossing your gun into a pile instead of picking up the nade you pick up the rifle you dont want. Very annoying. Like the updated ammo packs but why would they add in a auto drop weapon when the old system to drop your weapon was working so great? Dosnt make any sense at all.

Armored car MG not showing up. Ever been in a ba64 or a universal carrier and switched to or just got in as the machine gunner and not had the gun show up in front of you? Nothing like not being able to aim except for the tracers. Thats pretty annoying to me. But it happens all the time. i would say maybe 30% of the time.

Half track that dosnt like to turn while going slow. What in the world is this about? you cant turn at slow speeds? it didnt have front wheel drive sure but the slide effect would be much more apparent at high speeds then at low speeds.

Tank tracks. One of the weakest parts of a tank in real life is apparently one of the strongest in RO It is almost impossible to knock a track off a tank. Cant imagine why. Also very fake and without any real reason.

Tanks stuck in a small hole. Can anyone really imagine a Real tank being stuck in a ditch thats only a few feet deep? This is what tanks were designed to get over. They were made to be able to drive over the top of trenches. But in RO a trench will stop a tank dead. I think this problem is the same as not being able to drive over a small step that i posted about above.

All of the maps That allow people to spawn camp and destroy vehicles that are still sitting in the spawn locations. Such as ogeldow where both spawns can be shot at from the sides. Wont even begin to list the spawn problems with the new contest winner maps that were added. Most of them have a nightmare spawn point or two.

Bayonet range being so short you cant stab someone laying on the ground next to you without crouching down first. These guns were 3-4 foot long with bayonets up to 18 inches long or something like that. i think i could stab the ground without any trouble. I know the devs have at least a few of these rifles in real life. have they tried to poke the ground while holding them? Do you need to drop to a knee to reach the ground while doing it? yeah i dont think so. But in RO you do. Someones measurement is off.

Nades that you pull the pin or cord in the case of the german nade before you die but havnt thrown it yet sometimes not going off if your killed with it in your hand. What in the world is this about? It dosnt happen all the time but it never seems to go off when you really want it to but if a team mate or two is near by oh yeah it will go off and kill them.

Machine gun bipod locked to the ground. What is this all about? you pull out your bipod but then its frozen to the ground sunk in cement untill you fold it up. I can understand as a balance sort of a thing to have it where you need to set it up to use the MG but why dosnt it automaticly collapse when you turn too far to the side. Nothing like having a guy walk right up next to you and not being able to turn or move because you need to first fold up your bipod while he kills you.

Instant quickdraw Ever shoot the gun out of someones hand just to have them nail you with the pistol that appears in there hand? Whats that all about? We should really have to select that weapon for it to come out.

Instant weapon draw after throwing nades. Ever see someone throwing a nade and then shoot you the second they let go of that nade? or in some cases while you still see the nade in there hand? This has happened to me many times while on low ping servers. We should really have to select the main weapon again after throwing nades. This is not a engine limitation because sometimes after shooting the last panzerfaust you have you will be left without a weapon in hand.

Odd extended weapon bug. Where you quick bring your weapon to sites just to have it look like its held out in front of you and you cant hit anything. Very annoying bug that has got me killed many times.

Not being able to shoot while raising your weapon. You can shoot from the hip just fine you can shoot from iron sites just fine but why is it you cant shoot your full auto weapon as you bring it up? Do you really need to let go of that trigger to lift the gun? Very very unrealistic annoying cheesy game effect. Really just destroys the intense close quarters combat that the game could have. Maybe if you could shoot and raise the gun to iron sites but not have it perfectly settled just have it roughly pointed ahead and against your shoulder.

Exact cook time on nades. These things didnt have digital timers. they were not exact. Because of the nade cooking for the exact same time people can pull the pin or cord and wait just the right amount of time to have it burst the second it lands or just before with a little practice. Very unrealistic sure they might have cooked a nade for a second in real life even if it was a bad idea. But they wouldnt do it anywhere near as long as its done in the game because those fuses were a bit random and they would end up blowing themselves up. a simple little random fuse plus or minus a second would really add to the realism a lot.

Stealth tanks. Ever been playing infantry on a combined arms map and suddenly get run over from behind by a tank that you didnt hear at all? Yeah thats just not right. These things were some of the loudest things around no way they could sneak up on you unless you were totaly deaf. Been called a engine limitation but someone fixed it in a mod so it is not.

Tank turret not showing up on the HUD indicator. So you get into your tank as the driver and you have a gunner in it with you but all you see is the haul in the hud and you cant tell where the gun is pointing at all. Somewhat rare but it happens every once and a while and just seems odd. minor bug but annoying just the same.

Mg and AT rifle not wanting to deploy on ledges that seem to be the perfect height. Very very annoying. Some of the best spots are at the wrong height by a fraction of a inch or whatever. Your height should adjust to the ledge you shouldnt have to find a new ledge.

AT rifle shooting rapid fire and not shooting a single round. Annoying bug.

Now im sure i have missed a bunch of stuff so feel free to add your own list of what bugs you. I tried to stay away from things that would really effect game balance or what might really be a engine limit or just what for some odd reason someone thinks shouldnt be in the game. such as selective fire on the ppsh. or the amount of recoil on sub machine guns. Just stick to the weird little things that dont seem to make sense.

While its nice we have the extra fancy little visual settings in the game to make things look all pretty i really think this stuff should have been delt with first and long ago. This isnt a bug report as im sure most if not all of it has been reported already. Same with suggestions im sure its all been mentioned before. But i want to see some real opinions on this stuff and hear what little details bugs everyone else. Just what did i miss in the list?

Sorry the post is so long but It was just the stuff that came off the top of my mind on the subject.

Lol. That's true, but the things he's pointed out are real problems. Looks like a fairly comprehensive list of the current issues that still exist in the game. I'd add the latest patch's lag-bug and the insane radius of a grenade's concussion effect (more than 20m still gives you blur, including in spectator mode), but apart from that I think he covered it quite nicely.

And to be honest, is there really an easy way to say "here's what's not working as it really should be"?

Upvote 0
Lol well tact was something i used 6months a year or a year and a half ago when i started reporting bugs. But after all this time without being fixed.... whats the point.

And yeah the little trees that stop a tank can be a bit annoying as well. Maybe in some next gen game or... 10 years from now we will see a realistic way of dealing with a tank hitting a tree. Like the tree bending under the tank and popping back up after the tank passes or the trunk breaking and knocking it over. But for now having the tree pass through the tank is a workable method. I have noticed on the newer maps its not as much of a problem. Maybe one of the future games will have tanks that tear up the grass and leave trails in the mud. Or are able to smash through buildings like a real tank could. A tank is basicly just a really heavy powerful armored bulldozer with a cannon instead of a blade after all.

Upvote 0
It's actually a good list. I have experienced practically every one of those at some point or another (with the exception of some of the tank glitches). One you missed, but everyone complains about, is the insta-eject from vehicles. You smack a tank right in the side with a Faust, it starts to smoke, the driver *pops* out, caps you with his gun he magically has at the ready, *pops* back in the tank. Grr.

This is a good list to refer to for thier next game as they build it. We all kindof look the other way when these things happen cause we enjoy the game so much otherwise, but, obviously, the less quirks there are, the less frustration the end user has to go through.

Upvote 0
Ah yeah how did i ever forget the ejection seat tanks. Thats one of the big ones. Something simple like changing it so you cant get out unless your hatch is open would be a quick fix But it would mean the machine gunner would need to wait till someone else got out. But i would be fine with that. Even just a simple 3 second delay or 5 seconds or whatever would work wonders.

Upvote 0
You forgot satchels killing tanks from 10meters away, and nades that go off under a player and don't kill them.

But as Milk points out RO is an awesome game, and really rather ambitious in its scope. I can't remember the last time I played a FPS that didn't have a few head scratching bugs, and for all its little quirks RO is still by far the best FPS I have ever played.

Upvote 0
u got some valid points but the TWI boys are only human i know a lot of these things are "obvious" fixes but sometimes if u chage even 1 line of code it throws another 300 out of whack. TBH i havent noticed a lot of the bugs your saying, which doesnt mean i dnt agree with you. Less bugs is always a good thing but simple bugs dont always equal simple solutions.

p.s. i also have to kinda agree that while i can understand ur annoyed a little tact would have gone a long way here.

Upvote 0
"Mg and AT rifle not wanting to deploy on ledges that seem to be the perfect height. Very very annoying. Some of the best spots are at the wrong height by a fraction of a inch or whatever. Your height should adjust to the ledge you shouldnt have to find a new ledge. "

As MG player that's my big beef, and it happens all the time in all maps. I'd also add the deploy clipping issues where sometimes your bipod sinks into the ledge/sandbags and then somehow you end up firing into an invisable wall. Easy to tell as you fire and get no tracers going and of course don't kill anything you are shooting at. Common enough that I always fire a few rounds after deploying to test. Better that, than finding out on a person doing the kamakazi with arm already back with a nade.

But pretty good list. Some rarer than others and so don't bother me as much. But the ones always popping up I'd love a fix... as everyone would ;)

T.

Upvote 0
Not being able to shoot while raising your weapon. You can shoot from the hip just fine you can shoot from iron sites just fine but why is it you cant shoot your full auto weapon as you bring it up? Do you really need to let go of that trigger to lift the gun? Very very unrealistic annoying cheesy game effect. Really just destroys the intense close quarters combat that the game could have. Maybe if you could shoot and raise the gun to iron sites but not have it perfectly settled just have it roughly pointed ahead and against your shoulder.

You got it right on almost everything but this one is just way off-
When you are in hip you hold the gun firmly and maybe even get support from your body's side. In IS your gun is firmly holsterd to your shoulder, all the way between these postures and you are in risk of having it dance dangerously close to your face and unless you have Rambo arms youll instinctively refrain from doing so.

Upvote 0