• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Odd Performance Issue

waldric

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 2, 2006
I have an odd problem while running RO. Basically what happens is upon mapload everything seems to be running great, even with all the settings turned up and resolution etc, even when the entire team is onscreen at the same time in the spawn areas, no framerate troubles.

However, after playing only something like five or ten minutes into the round, my framerate drops significantly to where its very hard to aim...it stays somewhat playable, but it tends to be very annoying seemingly how well it runs when I first fire the game up.

I'm not exactly sure what is causing this problem..I have the newest Nvidia drivers, made sure that I have only needed processes running, and defragged the hard drive etc. In the game, it does not matter what my settings are, i can run 1024x768 with all the textures turned up or down, or 1600x1200 with all textures on highest with HDR bloom etc and the framerate is always the same, starts out like water....and five to ten minutes later gets bogged down so badly its hard to play. I even tried running it in Direct 3D mode instead of 9.0 and have same results :(

I have DirectX 9.0c and the newest video drivers (even tried some older drivers, same deal) and I just can't seem to keep this game running smoothly for more than a few minutes despite the settings. Does anyone else seem to have this problem or know of a possible fix? or even what might be causing it? This is the only game that I have this problem with and its very annoying considering I can only really play for a short amount of time before I'm lagging so much I have to restart the entire game :(

Oh I should also point out that I never had the same performance issues with the mod, even in the earlier days, and I've had a fresh windows XP sp2 install about 3 months ago.

Comp Specs:

P4 3.0E ghz 800fsb
Geforce 6800GT
1.5gig ram
cable net connection: 60-100 ping on most RO servers.

waldric said:
I have an odd problem while running RO. Basically what happens is upon mapload everything seems to be running great, even with all the settings turned up and resolution etc, even when the entire team is onscreen at the same time in the spawn areas, no framerate troubles.

However, after playing only something like five or ten minutes into the round, my framerate drops significantly to where its very hard to aim...it stays somewhat playable, but it tends to be very annoying seemingly how well it runs when I first fire the game up.

I'm not exactly sure what is causing this problem..I have the newest Nvidia drivers, made sure that I have only needed processes running, and defragged the hard drive etc. In the game, it does not matter what my settings are, i can run 1024x768 with all the textures turned up or down, or 1600x1200 with all textures on highest with HDR bloom etc and the framerate is always the same, starts out like water....and five to ten minutes later gets bogged down so badly its hard to play. I even tried running it in Direct 3D mode instead of 9.0 and have same results :(

I have DirectX 9.0c and the newest video drivers (even tried some older drivers, same deal) and I just can't seem to keep this game running smoothly for more than a few minutes despite the settings. Does anyone else seem to have this problem or know of a possible fix? or even what might be causing it? This is the only game that I have this problem with and its very annoying considering I can only really play for a short amount of time before I'm lagging so much I have to restart the entire game :(

Oh I should also point out that I never had the same performance issues with the mod, even in the earlier days, and I've had a fresh windows XP sp2 install about 3 months ago.

Comp Specs:

P4 3.0E ghz 800fsb
Geforce 6800GT
1.5gig ram
cable net connection: 60-100 ping on most RO servers.

it almost sounds like something it getting hot/overheating. did the fan on your vid card take a crap maybe?

happen with any other games/processes?

Upvote 0
Hmm, that is another very good possibility, I don't really have the same problem with BF2, Source engine or anything else really...but I did get a odd cpu fan error a few weeks ago...system froze and I have to manual restart, then on bootup I got a cpu fan error, but then it ran fine and hasn't done it again since.

Another odd thing about my comp is that no matter how many fans I put on it and a custom heatsink, it always still seems to run a little hot. I changed the fans in it about 2 months ago because it was idling at 60-65C (cpu), so I added more fans..currently 1 intake in front, 1 instake in the side, and 1 120mm blowing out the back...and a custom heatsink to replace the stock one. I read that prescotts tend to run rather hot, but damn even when I added more fans it didn't seem to change the temp any :( I was thinking of trying some new thermal paste or something but i'm debating whether or not to just stop throwing money into this one or just upgrade cpu/mobo since the prices seem to be pretty nice atm.

I've had my videocard for quite a while now, it is very possible that the fan starts giving out when under alot of stress, in game it tends to really get bogged down after a few minutes. It does not do it in other games...but maybe somehow Unreal engine puts a little more strain on the cpu which is causing mine to freak out?

Upvote 0
-MM!!-Lazarus said:
If you are having temp problems, start by cleaning your vidcard and CPU-cooler from dust. Use compressed air in a can, thats safest and easiest.

This is more important then most realize. I know I fail to do it regularly. Should be done at least monthly. On one system I hadn't done this for awhile, I had so much dust it was a joke. On the first blast I could barely see or breath.

Upvote 0