• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

October 7th RO2/RS Update

Hey Pete, how about the clan you're in add some custom maps to their server, can you get behind that? That would make things less stale immediately. If Apartments is still on the rotation then no wonder you feel how you do, but really, there are so many other maps to choose from it's ridiculous these are not included in more server rotations.

Yeah, I concur. I know there have been some ongoing technical difficulties with some of them. However, I totally agree about what custom maps that we can play we should get on.

I know in the last few months we've had Gumrak Station, Myshovka River, Coldsteel, Bridges, a few other customs.

However, I think Apartments was still on the rotation, which like you, probably die a little inside every time I play it now.

Maybe getting an "official" release of some of these custom maps will help the technical situation with some of them running on the servers.

But like others are saying, it's not just maps. Some skins, more weapons, etc. would really help.

Heck, I'd be willing to pay a DLC for new stuff, if money is the issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What pray tell are the "technical" difficulties of which you speak? I play on servers that run custom maps almost exclusively. I don't recall ever having a problem in quite some time.

That's what was reported to me by one of the members in our clan who is our "tech guy". Maybe it was just a problem on our end? It may be. I know that several of the maps were causing our server to crash. I'm not a techie myself, however.

We have quite a few custom maps/ or have had quite a few, running.

One unfortunate thing that we see is our servers depopulating when some custom maps are on. But, I hope that is just a short term thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While running custom maps on a server isn't the easiest thing to do and it requires updating when mappers make changes, server crashing usually isn't a problem. It does happen on very rare occasions, but those maps are either quickly fixed, pulled from circulation or pulled from the rotation. No mapper wants to have his/her map associated with crashing servers.

As for players fleeing custom maps.....imo, its their loss and are part of the "problem". They'll whine and whine about RO2 being stale, but won't lift a finger to make it better. Perhaps they should just go ahead and shell out another $60 for a few more battlefield maps or CoD rehash. The RO franchise thrives with talented mappers and modders. Try creating a truly custom map for the newer BF or CoD games.....oh, wait. You can't. You have to buy them.....my bad.

Upvote 0
We do work on new content, and we are continuing to do so for RO2/RS. We have something in the pipe, but nothing we are ready to talk about yet.

This is a continuing problem, Yoshiro. With all do respect, there is no excitement from you guys, no bones, nothing. Like Pete said, it's small fixes and in 2 years or however long it's been, it's still the community holding this game up with custom content. I sincerely want to know what it's like for you guys at work. I am starting to dismiss the "we're smaller" remark that gets tossed out there in reply. Is it the engine? Is it money? Is it workforce? All the above? And despite those potential issues, that doesn't change the fact that, respectfully of course, TWI is awful at engaging players and providing. I LOVE HOS and RS. Love love love. But love won't keep me playing for years. Content will. I am in no way shape or form saying you guys aren't working hard, but it IS a bloody mystery to people like me. I see supportive people in these forums that kiss your guys' toes when you mention an update, even if it's "fixed reinforcement numbers" and they're content for months. I sadly laugh to myself. We the players need in on what you guys are doing. Not ready to talk about it is, to me, unacceptable these days. I'm losing interest fast and I've tried to be supportive and I never complain on the forums. But every man has his limits. You wonderful folk at TWI need to be better, I'm sorry. Better at sharing/communication, better at providing, everything. If it weren't for this community and its massive loyalty and support and mod work, you guys would have died in the water a long time ago. People like me are tired of seeing the players crank out stuff. We want the original makers of the game to provide now. And no, 1 map and 2 weapons is unacceptable after 2 years, sorry. In the gaming world, big or small as a company, it's scary what's going on, or rather, what isn't going on. Do we really have to get everything we want and need in 5 years or so? 2 years is already pushing it. 1-2 people work on things who have busy full-time lives as well and they make great progress; I just don't understand. I realize Rome wasn't built in a day, but this isn't Rome. Also, don't mistake this as being ungrateful, I don't demand perfection, I simply just demand better.

That's what was reported to me by one of the members in our clan who is our "tech guy". Maybe it was just a problem on our end? It may be. I know that several of the maps were causing our server to crash. I'm not a techie myself, however.

We have quite a few custom maps/ or have had quite a few, running.

One unfortunate thing that we see is our servers depopulating when some custom maps are on. But, I hope that is just a short term thing.

I thought the crashes were on TWI's end? It crashes on default maps too here and there. They've drastically lessened for me, but happens sometimes still. And no, I never crashed at all before these episodes.

Upvote 0
We do work on new content, and we are continuing to do so for RO2/RS. We have something in the pipe, but nothing we are ready to talk about yet.

Sorry Yoshiro....totally disagree. You (TWI) may have have assisted with RS for it's final release and you may provided some small fixes, but a couple of new maps isn't really releasing "new content" for RO. You always seem to "talk" about something new in the pipeline, but it really turns out be...well...nothing for that matter.

Upvote 0
This is a continuing problem, Yoshiro. With all do respect, there is no excitement from you guys, no bones, nothing. Like Pete said, it's small fixes and in 2 years or however long it's been, it's still the community holding this game up with custom content. I sincerely want to know what it's like for you guys at work. I am starting to dismiss the "we're smaller" remark that gets tossed out there in reply. Is it the engine? Is it money? Is it workforce? All the above? And despite those potential issues, that doesn't change the fact that, respectfully of course, TWI is awful at engaging players and providing. I LOVE HOS and RS. Love love love. But love won't keep me playing for years. Content will. I am in no way shape or form saying you guys aren't working hard, but it IS a bloody mystery to people like me. I see supportive people in these forums that kiss your guys' toes when you mention an update, even if it's "fixed reinforcement numbers" and they're content for months. I sadly laugh to myself. We the players need in on what you guys are doing. Not ready to talk about it is, to me, unacceptable these days. I'm losing interest fast and I've tried to be supportive and I never complain on the forums. But every man has his limits. You wonderful folk at TWI need to be better, I'm sorry. Better at sharing/communication, better at providing, everything. If it weren't for this community and its massive loyalty and support and mod work, you guys would have died in the water a long time ago. People like me are tired of seeing the players crank out stuff. We want the original makers of the game to provide now. And no, 1 map and 2 weapons is unacceptable after 2 years, sorry. In the gaming world, big or small as a company, it's scary what's going on, or rather, what isn't going on. Do we really have to get everything we want and need in 5 years or so? 2 years is already pushing it. 1-2 people work on things who have busy full-time lives as well and they make great progress; I just don't understand. I realize Rome wasn't built in a day, but this isn't Rome. Also, don't mistake this as being ungrateful, I don't demand perfection, I simply just demand better.

I thought the crashes were on TWI's end? It crashes on default maps too here and there. They've drastically lessened for me, but happens sometimes still. And no, I never crashed at all before these episodes.

They probably don't talk about their plans because if they change them, the community will throw a giant S*** fit like they always do every time we get something new....

Upvote 0
This is a continuing problem, Yoshiro. With all do respect, there is no excitement from you guys, no bones, nothing. Like Pete said, it's small fixes and in 2 years or however long it's been, it's still the community holding this game up with custom content. I sincerely want to know what it's like for you guys at work. I am starting to dismiss the "we're smaller" remark that gets tossed out there in reply. Is it the engine?

The art/levels are more complex to develop for (compared to UE 2) and things take more time. We've stated this and it holds true still. Newer engines are likely to be even more complex.

Is it money? Is it workforce? All the above?

All things require time, and money. As a company we are always having the discussion of where our time/money is best spent. RO2/RS has been successful for us, which is why it continues to receive support. But we have to balance that against how much resources we continue to put into the franchise (we over stretched with RO 1 and much of the content in RO1 also came from modders that we took official as well as the original mods work of several years. We use DLC's to support development of KF. For RO2 we have used the the expansion Rising Storm). Yes, we often go head to head with "AAA" studios, but no, we do not have the manpower or money that they do (Most have aprox. 10x our man power and infinite money as far as we are concerned).

And despite those potential issues, that doesn't change the fact that, respectfully of course, TWI is awful at engaging players and providing.

I am sorry this is your opinion. We have been trying to be as open as possible, but since the release of RO2 we have had to change our communication strategy in response to player/public reaction. We no longer will state things we are working on until they are set in stone (so to speak). There was far too much negative feedback when we missed our planned content and our development priorities changes post launch.

If it weren't for this community and its massive loyalty and support and mod work, you guys would have died in the water a long time ago.

We are well aware of our supportive community (and how awesome it is!). And they are a large part in what allows us to go head to head with other AAA studios (that do not allow modding).

We could use a new "What Are We Up To" since the last one was about a month ago...

I will do a new one when our plans have firmed up a little more. Right now we are still deciding what will and will not make the next update.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Again, it wasn't in bad taste, I'm just frustrated as I'm sure you guys are at times as well. May I suggest a once a week or bi-weekly update, even if it's the same stuff? Maybe state your problems, hopes, hints, ETA, workroom happenings be it funny or someone rage quitting their job, something? I think that'd be a good start.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Again, it wasn't in bad taste, I'm just frustrated as I'm sure you guys are at times as well. May I suggest a once a week or bi-weekly update, even if it's the same stuff? Maybe state your problems, hopes, hints, ETA, workroom happenings be it funny or someone rage quitting their job, something? I think that'd be a good start.

I guess a question that comes to mind is, does any of that matter? Do we really need to know every little thing that happens? Is it really a good use of their time to document miscellaneous 'happenings' around the office and tell us?

They gave us this bad *** game which we are still playing 2 years later while other gamers are paying 60 more dollars for something they bought a year ago.

I think that right now the best thing we can do for Tripwire is play the game they created, create content for the community for the game, and report any bugs/glitches the game has.

Upvote 0
I guess a question that comes to mind is, does any of that matter? Do we really need to know every little thing that happens? Is it really a good use of their time to document miscellaneous 'happenings' around the office and tell us?

They gave us this bad *** game which we are still playing 2 years later while other gamers are paying 60 more dollars for something they bought a year ago.

I think that right now the best thing we can do for Tripwire is play the game they created, create content for the community for the game, and report any bugs/glitches the game has.

I can understand and appreciate that. But this gaming company is very silent compared to others, workforce or not. Some people on this forum are very content with hearing something every few months, some like me are not. I'm not suggesting they drop everything to amuse us. It's very possible to type up a quick memo/commentary over a cup of coffee or something, especially on the weekend. If gaming and their fans are their passion, this shouldn't be a problem. And I am still playing the game and despite my frustrations, I defend this game when attacked by either friends or strangers. I just want more for this community is all. No I do not know how to go about that, I'm just throwing up ideas until a good one comes out.

Upvote 0
Is this a joke? There are nearly 100 threads in this section from the past year alone. In addition to this, the devs regularly post on the forums, unlike some gaming companies... :confused:

This is what I'm talking about. People are so easily pleased. It is nice they reply and browse the forums, but stop acting like they're gods for it. Every good gaming company should no matter what. Yes not all do I'm sure, but still. Also, who wants to browse each topic and look for the TWI reply? Giving us a bi-weekly update in the news section would be much easier is all. If you like news once a month or more and clicking reading through tons of threads (I don't have time to do this for all) to see what people are even remotely talking about and their replies, then great. I'm only trying to simplify and improve the lines of communication, my worrrrd. And yes, there is always room for improvement. Well, I've stated my case, not much more I can say. I'll go back to lurking in the shadows. Continue to leave your opinions.

Upvote 0