• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Observations on Current Attitudes

Howdy!

The various -isms (racism, nationalism, classism, etc.) on RO have really never been that bad, especially for a game dealing with WWII, and the Eastern front in particular. I've been playing since Mod v. 2.0, and aside from a few of the "realism" units getting waaaaay too into it, we've never really had more problems than any other game.

That being said, I've been playing a lot of Insurgency lately, and the racism on those servers slaps me in the face day after day. I cringe every time I hear some 12-year old kid yelling "sand n***** down!" It's quite disgusting. I've never heard anything like that while playing RO.

Upvote 0
That being said, I've been playing a lot of Insurgency lately, and the racism on those servers slaps me in the face day after day. I cringe every time I hear some 12-year old kid yelling "sand n***** down!" It's quite disgusting. I've never heard anything like that while playing RO.

Absolutely. It's not even 12 yr olds trying to beinternet cool, it's what are supposed to be mature adults expressing really sickening opinions about the quality of life and violent nature of arab peoples

ugh

Upvote 0
What I hate most about the internet is that some people (you know who you guys are) seem to think that it's a lawless freezone for them and that they can do whatever they please :mad:

Well, to a certain extent, the internet is a lawless freezone, and they can do whatever they want.

The internet gives you a glimpse of what society would be like if laws and social conventions were not backed up with force, and the threat of force.

That is to say: it gives you an idea of how some people would behave if they didn't have to worry about getting arrested, or beaten-up, or sanctioned in some way for their anti-social behaviour. People do and say all sorts of things on the internet that they'd never dare to do or say in real life.

It's not a pretty picture, and suggests to me that Thomas Hobbes was right all along about human beings in the "state of nature".

The strangest thing I've ever seen in a game of RO was someone who took the username "AngryNigga," joined the Axis, and started killing his own teammates while using voice commands to repeatedly shout "Grenade!" If anybody told him to stop, or TK'd him back, he accused them of committing a "hate crime" and called them racists.

I figure he must have been some kind of neo-nazi provocateur. Either that, or just plain disturbed.

Upvote 0
The strangest thing I've ever seen in a game of RO was someone who took the username "AngryNigga," joined the Axis, and started killing his own teammates while using voice commands to repeatedly shout "Grenade!" If anybody told him to stop, or TK'd him back, he accused them of committing a "hate crime" and called them racists.

I figure he must have been some kind of neo-nazi provocateur. Either that, or just plain disturbed.

I think the term you are going for here is "retard."

Upvote 0
I have noticed a large increase in....uhhh....*insert not a nice way to put it* players.

Zero teamwork, poor play (and I don't just mean people who are bad at playing RO), bad manners, needless foul language and so forth.

Having been playing RO since it's very first version, I know that it's innevitable what with the growth in players, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed that I don't see that many familiar faces anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, this sort of behaviour is always in proportion to the game player base. The larger the number of players, the more of these wingnuts crawl out've the woodwork searching for an audience for their obtuse nonsense.

Just find a good, well administrated server with mature admins who are firm in enforcing their rules, and you'll get the atmosphere you want.

Otherwise, develop a thick skin...and never, ever, give the antagonistic elements the satisfaction of a response. No matter what they say.

It's the reaction they want...and nothing drives them crazier than to be ignored.

...well, that and the good ol' boot. :D

Upvote 0
While it wasn't in Red Ochestra, I was once playing beachhead assault (or whatever it's called) map on DoD.

There was some guy, guess he thought he was pretty hot stuff... I (German player) was prone a little ways back along one of the entrances where the Americans blow a hole in the defensive wall to create a breach. The guy runs by me and positions himself on the other side of where the breach will be. He sees me prone on the ground facing him and says, "Better not shoot me, A**h**e!" I thought, that's a nice way to talk to your team mate.

Well, I chose the high road and didn't answer - just waited for the breach to happen. Sure enough, the wall blows in, an American jumps through, and immeidately kills the guy at the other end - I don't even think he got a shot off. I then shoot the American, and about six more guys that tried to get in. I think I finally died to a grenade or something.

I had to chuckle at the fact that this guy had a cocky attitude, thought he can talk to people any way he wants, and he got it in the end anyway.

Just thought I'd chare that.

Upvote 0