• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Observations on Current Attitudes

I've laid off RO for a bit (delving into the world of Second Life and all that mess), and upon my return to the Eastern Front I've noticed somewhat of a shift in the attitudes and, more noticeably, the language used by players online.

I'm not one to be squeamish about off-color remarks and the like, but when I log on to a server and am immediately asaulted by "G-D this" and "F-YOU" and the like I have to wonder at the caliber of players we have on board now. 'Back in the day' I could hit any server at any time of day and be greeted by a very welcome bit of mature gameplay, without the slightest nod to crude language with the exception of a mild expletive every now and then (usually preceded by violent death in the field). Now it's almost like a number of RO servers are populated entirely by players who throw curses and insults about like they were nothing.

I've got nothing against good-natured taunting of enemy forces on occasion, but when it's a constant drone of accusations of homosexuality on both sides, and stories of relations with one's mom or sisters (or fathers, for that matter), it just gets to the point where one wants to disable Voice comms altogether and lose a vital part of RO, team interaction.

Another item that goes along with this is the current fashion for race-baiting, especially for those players who identify themselves (true or not) as being anything other than lily-white. I've done this myself- given myself a 'gangsta' screen name and 'talked the talk' on Voice, just to see what would happen. Predictably: I was immediately assailed as being a 'dumb N***er' and the like. On another occasion I chanced to log on and listen to a Jewish player be browbeaten for nothing more than being Jewish (I made a point of observing his gameplay and listening to his Voice comms in-game, and he was anything but antagonistic about it).

One of the big areas of concern to the group of players I had the good fortune to lead was a potential for RO to draw in the wannabe White Power crowd, as it is one of the few outlets for them to 'be' (even virtually) one of Germany's Finest. OTOH, there are also the Reds, who are just as virally anti- whatever and take every opportunity to German-bash just because of that nation's history.

Where is this all leading us? Will RO one day be investigated as a 'virtual training ground for extremists'? Will individual server admins be sued for knowingly hosting games in which hate speech (from all quarters) is routinely condoned? Will individual PLAYERS be hauled in for 'communication of threats', even those in a virtual setting? The way the state of the world is heading, none of these would surprise me a bit.

In closing, I urge each and every one of you RO players- especially you veterans who should know better- to WATCH WHAT YOU SAY out there, both in general commentary as well as to each other regardless of what side you are on. For a new player logging on, such language can be a harsh- and quite unnecessary- introduction (not to mention if Mom or Dad is taking a look at what Little Johnny got for Christmas). For older players such as myself, it's just a sad commentary on the passing of what used to be probably the most professional and 'gentlemanly' game in play.

Welcome back to RO, Sasha.

As someone who has played RO almost every other evening or so pretty much during the last few months, I respectfully assure you that I have hardly encountered any of the problems that you are saying seem to be endemic to the RO game.

I've encountered very little of the problems you have described.

Don't jump to conclusions based on a few initial bad games.

Yes, there is at least one server I (no, I'm not gay) am aware of on which several of the players openly say they are homosexuals and make flirtatious off-color jokes, but only to the players in their clan; their server is rated Mature and a notice stating such appears on the screen several times throughout the game.

Yes, it can get a little annoying having to listen to them after a while, but it is their server, and I can get through two or so maps with them.

In addition, they do take RO seriously and are good players.

Only once, in the last several months, have I heard a player using the racist N word VOIP throughout a map; some of the other players used VOIP to tell him to shutup; no one encouraged him and no one supported him.

One Friday evening, some guy was drunk as a skunk, and was very hostile, mean, and swore at a player; I told him to lay off the guy; having to listen to a angry drunken man is not fun, and did not make the game enjoyable.

First the aggrieved player left; then a few minutes later I left. But hey, it was a Friday; you're bound to encounter a few drunk players now and then, especially Thursday-Saturday in the United States.

That's only two bad experiences over the last several months. Everything else has been dozens of great game play, with Bocklin, Code Enigma, Italy, Kriegstadt, Until The End, and other interesting new maps that folks have made. It almost seems like there is a new map being issued every month which is a great thing for RO players.

The problems with problem players have been few, in my opinion.

About the profanity, you're going to get the "F" word and other cuss words on almost any game; I've seen a few problem players on Forgotten Hope 1, a Battlefield 1942 Mod, and people swear all the time (there is no VOIP).

I don't know what country you're from, but when I was a kid, kids definitely had filthy mouths by 4th grade (if not earlier) if they were in the public (i.e., state government run) schools in the U.S.; that was a long time ago; and I imagine it is probably worse now.

I don't agree with it from a moral perspective, but that is just the nature of the fallen world we live in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes TWB does have active admins. People are regularly session banned for language. If someone is openly racist they receive a permanent ban. If a player is consistently disruptive then they receive a permanent ban as well. Unfortunately at this point a 24 hour server cannot be admined 24 hours a day. However if anyone finds a disruptive player they can email the admin with the players name, guid, and description of the offensive behavior and an admin will look into the situation and take appropriate action(contact info is in the chat that scrolls 24/7). Twb also has forums available for players to post disruptive players on as well. Obviously it is not the players responsibility to help, but it is appreciated as it helps to keep the server populated with respectful players. Respect is the main rule for the TWB servers.

Upvote 0
One of the problems is the lack of admins; I've very few times seen any of them at times when a server needs them. The type of crowd that is playing now loves playing the same maps over and over ad nauseum, which is what happens in every game and RO is certainly no exception, and never has been in my experience which has been since the day of Ostfront's release. Seems all the classy players have somehow been scared off or lost interest in the game.

Upvote 0
I don't see it a lot but I have seen on the occasion 'debates' about the politics of Communism and Nazism, as well as the war crimes and other unfavourable actions of both Germany and Russia during the war. Obviously the people who choose to debate these things during a game of RO are morons.

I have also seen racism, both against other players specifically as well as spouting hate against the enthnicity of the teams themsevles (Russian and German). This I've only seen this a couple of times though.

Both these were only in text form though.

I also once remember (and I posted a thread about it at the time) someone trying to organise the team through VOIP was shouted down over VOIP and sworn at by a few other players. I know RO has lost a lot of it's teamwork based gameplay but when other players with mics are actively discouraging it I wonder what sort of idiots are playing this game now...

Upvote 0
Speaking of this, has anyone got any good EU servers which are populated and have mature players. I recently got the game and dont want to get off on a bad foot.

Couple of German servers with serious players and I like the Russian playing attitude in general.

Every game has its quota of harsehols, its just that if you got one in RO he/it, sticks out like a sore bum :eek:.

Upvote 0