• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Objective Mode Video Tutorial Series

Alex_KF

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006
Howdy folks!

So I've started work on a series of hastily recorded and embarrassingly produced videos that should non-the-less acquaint all of you with the Objective Mode tool-set.

The first in this series details how to make a player win a mission by walking from one end of a hallway to the other. Yes. It's super epic!

Btw guys, if you have any requests for a certain type of tutorial, or a topic you want covered don't hesitate to let me know. Otherwise i'll just go on autopilot hitting all the points I feel are relevant :)

Tutorial # 1 : Creating your First Objective!

HallwayTutorial - YouTube

Tutorial # 2 : Adding Enemies !

EnemySpawningTutorial - YouTube

Last edited:
Great tutorials, Alex! Really helpful.

I have some questions, that you could explain in the next videos please:
  1. Pressing USE button to operate something. For example, USE the computer for 10 seconds to complete an objective, or press USE for a minute to slowly open the door. I don't want to use welder in such cases, because, first, welding the computer seems ridiculous and, second, I don't want Support Spec.'s welding bonus to be used.
  2. Spawning items next to NPC. For example, an optional objective to protect the NPC during his way from A to B. If NPC successfully gets to the B, he gives you the L.A.W. (should be spawned next to him). If he dies, game continues (cuz it is optional obj.), but you don't get the L.A.W.
  3. Turning lights on/off. For example, repair the generator to turn on the lights in the room.

Upvote 0
Thanks, glad you're finding them helpful. :)

To answer your questions -

1. Pressing USE button to operate something. For example, USE the computer for 10 seconds to complete an objective, or press USE for a minute to slowly open the door. I don't want to use welder in such cases, because, first, welding the computer seems ridiculous and, second, I don't want Support Spec.'s welding bonus to be used.

To create a use-able item which is tied to an objective you should add an 'ObjCondition_Use' condition to the relevant objective. Use conditions accept a 'UseActor' which can be any actor in the map that has 'bCollideActors' set to true. (a pathnode would work, for example). If you wanted an elaborate setup like a valve you had to slowly turn to open a gate you could use a 'KF_UseableMover' in conjunction with this condition. UseableMovers function much like regular movers except that the use condition controls their animation state.

1. Spawning items next to NPC. For example, an optional objective to protect the NPC during his way from A to B. If NPC successfully gets to the B, he gives you the L.A.W. (should be spawned next to him). If he dies, game continues (cuz it is optional obj.), but you don't get the L.A.W.

To spawn a weapon pickup you can just use the ACTION_SpawnActor scripted action inside a scripted trigger. i.e

Actions(0) = WaitForEvent 'SpawnLAWPickup'
Actions(1) = SpawnActor(class 'LAWPickup' )

The LAW will spawn at the location of the scripted trigger actor right after the event 'SpawnLAWPickup' is called.

1. Turning lights on/off. For example, repair the generator to turn on the lights in the room.

This can be achieved with TriggerLights. Place several of them in your room with 'bInitiallyOn' set to false and an initial state of 'TriggerToggle'. Then it's just a matter of toggling them on or off , which can be done with Objective events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question. How come when players join the server they will spawn instantly into the map into the last checkpoint that was activated? It doesn't wait for the next checkpoint trigger

Or better yet, how did you stop players from joining steamland when the game was in progress? :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: I Think I might have it so it thinks its trader time somehow casue in very beginning of map they wont spawn in. Could you possibly make a tutorial on shopvolumes and how to make trader time on and off? would appreciate it ^.^

I understand Trader controler use one to select the volume then you use another one to open it, and I understand also the using a trader time objective but I think im missing something

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question. How come when players join the server they will spawn instantly into the map into the last checkpoint that was activated? It doesn't wait for the next checkpoint trigger

Or better yet, how did you stop players from joining steamland when the game was in progress? :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: I Think I might have it so it thinks its trader time somehow casue in very beginning of map they wont spawn in. Could you possibly make a tutorial on shopvolumes and how to make trader time on and off? would appreciate it ^.^

I understand Trader controler use one to select the volume then you use another one to open it, and I understand also the using a trader time objective but I think im missing something

Players who join a server after the match has already started will be sent to a spectating state until the next checkpoint is reached. Unless it is trader time , in which case they will immediately spawn.

Upvote 0
I think the problems is that KFO-Steamland starts in trader mode. For example, during Ringmaster speech you can suicide to get extra free weapons and you'll immediately respawn.

Yes. Objective mode considers 'Trader Time' to be any time where there are no enemies. This was done intentionally because you don't want players being unable to spawn when they join a server during dialogue, or .... the objective in KFO-Steamland where you have to find and heal the ringmaster, for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Players who join a server after the match has already started will be sent to a spectating state until the next checkpoint is reached. Unless it is trader time , in which case they will immediately spawn.
OK so how do I turn trader time on and off? with the trader time objective? or, should I keep 1 zombie in the map and then kill it to respawn players? I have calm spots in my map for scare sequences and I don't want players spawning then,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also im having another problem when players are fighting during a wave, and they die, they will respawn instantly at the previous checkpoint and not go into spectator mode :confused:

I have all checkpoints set to trigger and there are zombies in the map when they respawn

EDIT: Sry 1 more question don't mean to bug ya but should I make the Default game type in the Level properties KFStoryGame.KFStoryGameInfo ? seems to help :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, make sure bKillStragglers is set to false in your Level rules actor under the Rules_Monsters tab.
I also found if you want to keep a zombie in the map then just set this as false then use a damage actor event to kill stragglers. This can be used if you have quite parts but don't want players who join to spawn in yet.

@Alex Is there any way we can configure the straggler distance?

Last edited:
Upvote 0