• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nvidia GTX 1080 - Nvidia FleX Comparison

Gregs2k2

Thank you please
  • Mar 21, 2009
    UK
    www.ragequitters.co.uk
    We managed to get our hands on a non-founders GTX 1080. Would have been rude not to test how it handles Nvidia FleX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzv_AEk9DNo

The tests are run at 1080p (1920x1080 resolution), first on an MSI GTX 970 Frozr IV 4GB GPU and then on an Asus Republic of Gamers GTX 1080 Strix edition 8GB GPU. All settings are set to ultra (no motion blur) on an AOC G2460PG Gsync gaming monitor @ 144hz refresh rate.

FleX is very demanding, even on Nvidia's flagship 10 series behemoth.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Too bad playing solo is not really very informative on how will the card perform under typical multiplayer fountains-of-guts-fire-and-explosions-everywhere-clusterf... load. And the multiplayer part is short and doesn't really contain GPU-intensive moments :(

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Kind of what I noticed is that the 1080 had less performance than the 970 as seen at the top left corner, (970 ran ~120 FPS or so while the 1080 ran about 60 and dropped to 45-50 at some points.)

Quick question, was v-sync on?

Vsync was disabled, mainly due to being a requirement for gsync to function, coupled with enabling adaptive framerate in KF2. Although I could "feel" the 970 struggle with fluids. Wasn't the case with the 1080. Either way, I feel it still showed that even the most powerful GPU still takes a major hit with Flex.

Upvote 0
    Vsync was disabled, mainly due to being a requirement for gsync to function, coupled with enabling adaptive framerate in KF2. Although I could "feel" the 970 struggle with fluids. Wasn't the case with the 1080. Either way, I feel it still showed that even the most powerful GPU still takes a major hit with Flex.
    Kind of surprising though, but I think mainly this is a case with drivers maybe? I mean the 1080 is still pretty much new, cant expect it to behave similar to the 970.

Upvote 0
    Kind of surprising though, but I think mainly this is a case with drivers maybe? I mean the 1080 is still pretty much new, cant expect it to behave similar to the 970.

That did cross my mind, we'll see.

Something you should consider trying is using the GTX 1080 as the main card and dedicating the 980 to PhysX , in my experience KF2 appears to be the only PhysX based game that actually seems to get a benefit from using a dedicated PhysX card.

Yep, although it seems like overkill. I'll have my 970 back tomorrow so I may slap it in and use it for dedicated PhysX. Should make for interesting results.

Upvote 0
    Hey, thanks for the comparison, the game looks quite nice.
    One thing that I noticed during both the free weekend (didn't buy KF2 just yet) AND in your video is the super close pop in of high-res textures and detail shadows like the flag shadow on the map's starting point, or, if you want another example, try running up the Metrosigns above the Metrostations in Paris. Is there a way to increase those?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Hey, thanks for the comparison, the game looks quite nice.
    One thing that I noticed during both the free weekend (didn't buy KF2 just yet) AND in your video is the super close pop in of high-res textures and detail shadows like the flag shadow on the map's starting point, or, if you want another example, try running up the Metrosigns above the Metrostations in Paris. Is there a way to increase those?

Yes, I believe there's a way to precache/tweak texture streaming in the game, just a couple of config tweaks.

Upvote 0