• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

nVidia 3D Vision anyone ?

Attilaken

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Belgium
Did anyone play RO2 with stereoscopic/shutter glasses ?
I found that nVidia 3D Vision supports RO2 but is the game also suitable to play in 3D ?

I'm referring to things like your weapon, which is close to your view: is it viewable 'in one piece' or does the 3D effect gets you to see your weapon in double ? What about effects like smoke, blood spatter,... ?

If anyone has tried 3D for RO2, please tell me your experiences. Thx !

I've tested it despite my pannel configuration not recommand to play with RO2 in 3DVision.
The only big problem I see is principaly the shadows, they are different in each eye so it's almost unplayable without having an headache after few minutes. And some screen information like icons are only in 2D.

However, it's possible to play with the Tridef software wich can simulate the 3D and correct some visual bugs. I tried it only 2 days (shareware) and it feel like ghost around objects. No wanting more search how this software works, I dropped...

To conclude, it's not possible to play with the native 3DVision, you need to pass through an external software (at least so far).

Upvote 0
I just recently purchased a 120hz monitor. I love it. The shadows are screwed up for sure, but there is probably a way to stop rendering shadows using a console command. And also, anyone with mod'ing skills could easily correct the 3d glitch's. TWI won't commit resources to it, due to its low volume of demand.

But besides the 3D, I find the 120hz to be extremely better, in almost all applications. FYI, I run the BenQ XL2420TX 24". Highly recommend.

Upvote 0
I just recently purchased a 120hz monitor. I love it. The shadows are screwed up for sure, but there is probably a way to stop rendering shadows using a console command. And also, anyone with mod'ing skills could easily correct the 3d glitch's. TWI won't commit resources to it, due to its low volume of demand.

But besides the 3D, I find the 120hz to be extremely better, in almost all applications. FYI, I run the BenQ XL2420TX 24". Highly recommend.

Ah, yes, those 120hz BenQ monitors look bloody fantastic. I'm stuck on a 60 indefinitely and I look up at those with envy. Got to try one the other day, Battlefield 3 at 120fps is out of this world.

Upvote 0
I found a user on another forum that tried RO2 in 3D. He says "the shadows were getting rendered in just one eye! But dropping them down to low did sorted that! And the reflection on the soldiers might be sortable in the settings. But wasn't a game breaker at all anyway"

So it seems that getting RO2 suitable for 3D in full glory comes to rendering the shadows for both eyes. Does anybody know how to tweak that?
If shadows are the only problem, I might after all go for it.

Upvote 0
Could it be possible that this is the thing to tweak to get shadows visible in both eyes in 3D ?

"bAllowMergedDynamicShadows
If this flag is set, any primitive that allows per object dynamic shadows will be considered for being merged with other primitives that allow merged per object dynamic shadows and are close enough. As a consequence, the number of dynamic shadows in the scene are reduced.
The radius used to merge primitives is dynamically adjusted based on the distance of the primitives from the viewer. It starts at MinShadowGroupRadius (when the primitive is closest to the viewer) and increases up to MaxShadowGroupRadius (when the primitive is ShadowGroupRampCutoff away from the viewer). The rate of increase is determined by ShadowGroupRadiusRampUpFactor. For anything beyond ShadowGroupRampCutoff, the MaxShadowGroupRadius will be used. All these settings are available in the engine INI."

Upvote 0
I've done some little tests and screens.
First picture is the normal view (all settings in RO2 are high and I use SweetFX too but it doesn't interfere with the 3D). As you see, the right eye see the normal shadow without problem but the left eye seems to see the inside (building) shadows:

RO2_Screen_3DVision_0000.jpg

When I reduce the shadow setting at minimum, the major problem with them are solved:

RO2_Screen_3DVision_0010.jpg

But, there are still some other problems... If you see well on the picture above, you can see a difference on the right down window (with left eye, no problem but with right eye you see a hole in the wall inside but this problem is explained bellow, on the last screen).
Next to that, some other glitches ar visible inside and outside like the picture bellow (and like always, different in each eye):

RO2_Screen_3DVision_0020.jpg

Another problem is with destructible elements, no major issue with the right eye but the left eye can see throught it, not completely because a meshe is inside (the part wich disapear after destruction) but shifted like this last picture:

RO2_Screen_3DVision_0030.jpg

Except with an external software like TriDef, I don't know how to correct these problems easily. That would be nice if TW will try to adapt the game with 3D system but yes, it's not a priority :(

Maybe one day :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thx for your awesome research !
I'm trying to understand why these differences appear. As far as I know left and right eye are simply rendered individually by your graphics card, but just with about 7 centimeters difference. So I don't understand why the left or right eye screen seems to miss things that the other eye doesnt. Maybe it has something to do with the viewer? Like some elements (like shadows, destructible meshes) currently can only be rendered once instead of twice by the game setup/ini/drivers/.... ? It does look that way.

TriDef: seems like someone created a TriDef-profile for RO2. Maybe this is a good start? http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2396&p=12440&hilit=red+orchestra#p12440

Maybe Tripwire can provide us with some more insight about that and then maybe someone is capable of tweaking or modding it.

Could a Tripwire professional take 5 minutes to just explain why some elements are not rendered for both eyes ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried to play (offline of course) with shadow at minimum but it remains too many glitches and stay unplayable.
Despite that, inside tank is really enjoyable and without bugs. Only when seeing outside...
;)
RO2_Screen_3DVision_1020.jpg

I really hope TW will one day watch why that won't work correctly. For people with 3D glasses, it's a shame :(

Could a Tripwire professional take 5 minutes to just explain why some elements are not rendered for both eyes ?
This ! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It should be able to be resolved by a mod, and using nvidia3d vision. I dont know the extent, but for example, turning off shadows completely helps with most games, including many "3d ready" rated titles. I think there are a few more items with ro2, and im not sure if its fixed in the map files itself, such as lighting settings on specific mesh's, or something system wide, say post processing or similar.

Upvote 0
OK I got my 3D 120Hz monitor with 3D Vision glasses.
My first impression: amazing for 3D movies, but not that amazing right now for RO2. It looks nice in 3D, but there are some issues that spoil the stereographic fun.

Issues are indeed (like already stated):
- shadows only rendered for 1 eye, makes them pretty annoying
- ghosting here and there makes it hard to spot enemy's long range
- lighting issues here and there make small pieces of object lit up bright while rest is not (maybe this goes away when shadows can be disabled)

So in my opinion it needs some tweaking at least.

Does anyone know how to disable (dynamic) shadows 100% (probably in the .ini files) ??

Upvote 0