• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

number of artystrikes depending on taking objectives...

Capt.Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Sky high
As I see some threads here like "Spawn zombies plz" I thought it would be a good idea to make a serious suggestion again! :D

In RO we have a fixed number of artystrikes for the commander.
So what about if the number depends on the succes on the map? On a map with 3 objectives you start with 2 artystrikes, if your team takes objective #1 you get another 2, and if you take objective #2 you get the last 2.

Maybe this makes more sense if its only included on maps where one team is defending and the other attacking?
(additional arty just for attackers)

It would serve as a bonus motivation for commanders to lead the charge on an objective PERSONALLY instead of letting some others doing the work for him... :D It would also help if a impatient kid or noob launches all arty strikes in the first 2 minutes, leaving the rest of the team without firesupport for the rest of the round. :rolleyes:

Germans were quite fond of the "you have X resources, Y days and Z objectives to do. Kthxbye." system with the commonly called mission-type tactics (it's more of a leadership method though) in general.

The problem with the idea of taking IRL mechanic in RO is that most of the maps in the game covers only (relatively) small area when entire operation could span across over a hundred miles in depth and width. Some single battle in [insert some ****hole in here] is just probably a milestone for one of the operation's own objectives and they still might need to cover 20-30 miles of ground, while the game basically makes maps more or less of a pitched battle due the way how reinforcements works and including some other minor hilarious side-effects, like constant nadebarrage and E.G. vehicles spawning few seconds after they are KO'd.

And another thing which is also side-effect of the smallish maps is that artillery is rather overaccurate in general. I can understand mortars and such, but considering there is no official forward observer directing the fire and in some maps where the artillery is supposed to be something alot bigger and the fire is generally concentrated on 25-40^2 area, if artillery in RO:HoS works similiarly as it works in RO having more artillery per objectives would just more fuel the idea of a pitched respawn-bang-bang style battle.

Upvote 0
imo arty should not occur as much in HOS as it did in ROOST. 5 missions of 3 salvos each on say basovka or konigsplatz could really just destroy the map for one side or the other. futhermore considering the situation of the fighting specifically centering around Stalingrad, can't imagine the extensive use of mostly inaccurate artillery during an actually infantry vs. infantry/vehicles etc.... battle. not too informed on the exact battle history of the campaign, but it seems to me that arty would be used to clear out or wear down resistance before assualts, not during

Upvote 0