• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Novint Falcon Support

Hey Tripwire Team,

I'm johntnovint, and I've been a developer of Falcon scripts for a while now. After seeing some of the footage of Heroes of Stalingrad, I've been compelled to contact you and ask if you'd be interested in working together to implement support. I noticed you talking about realism and immersion in your video, and I see no better way to take this to the next level than with the Falcon. Here is an example of what we can add if we work together:

- Feel unique recoils for all weapons
- Feel unique reloads/draw forces for all weapons
- Allow for realistic environmental impacts to be felt (Eg. Feel when your gun hits a wall in first person mode).
- Avatar forces (Feel movement, leaning, etc.)
- Add weight to weapons and clips, allowing the weight of a clip to be felt as it's raised up (lets you know how full/empty it is). The weight would be balanced not to hinder with gameplay.
- Directional damage forces

And that's really only scratching the surface. I would be willing to make all the forces for you at no charge, but will need to work with you to get the basic code in place for the Falcon (We have some simple ways to implement into games now, we can discuss this further if you're interested).

(SIDE NOTE: I know some people may think of the Falcon as a gimmick, but it really isn't. I've been helping expand support for it for a while now, and I find it to be a far better control scheme than the mouse. When you think about it, moving in 3D (where up and down is actually up and down, and movements are 1:1) in a FPS is just a much more natural setup. Also, to anyone who states you can't aim well with it, this is just a myth. Although I agree it takes time to adjust to, you can become just as good (better in my case) with it as the mouse. It adds so much to the gaming experience as well, so it's a win-win in my view. Not trying to sell the Falcon here, just trying to dispel myths about it.)

I really look forward to your reply, and I'd be happy to talk about adding support to all of your other available titles as well.

Best,

johntnovint

Reactions: Nezzer
I used one of these at a gaming convention in seattle a few years back to play HL2 and i was thoroughly impressed at how much it increased the sense of immersion. this would compliment a realism based game like HOS perfectly.

sadly i wouldn't ever get to enjoy the product of implementing this with HOS since i can't afford a falcon but I'd like to see it happen regardless. From first glance I see why people think it might be difficult to aim, but it really isn't. it's just different. it's no different than being used to a mouse and trying out a console controller instead.

haptic1.jpg

also I think you'd have better luck pm'ing the devs as that may get a faster response considering how much traffic this forum gets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am a Novint Falcon owner. As others have said, this device makes games very realistic, especially if you have track IR, 3D vision and 3rd Space gaming vest. The Novint Falcon is an interesting device, it's easier to aim as to me it feels more natural and the fact that the Novint Falcon has so many features also makes the games much more atmospheric.

Just encase people aren't too sure about what you get from having the Novint Falcon supported in a game it makes games a lot more easier to play. I've been flashed before on Counter Strike Source and due to having forces and being able to feel where I'm being attacked from I've been able to deal my opponent some damage and in some cases finish them off. The Novint Falcon gives forces when you run into walls, go down stairs jump and take damage. There's also different forces for different weapons in the games currently supported, so some weapons have more recoils then others such as bigger reload forces on a shotgun as you put the shells in. There is the option of course to change the amount of recoil and the force that you get.

It would be great as John has said to have full Falcon support from Tripwire Interactive as they've made quality games in the past such as Killing Floor and Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41 - 45. From the videos that I have seen so far for Heroes of Stalingrad it looks like having the Novint Falcon supported would be amazing. The Novint Falcon prevents praying and spraying due to the recoil and so it makes shooting and aiming a lot more accurate. Looking very much forward to Heroes of Stalingrad :)

Upvote 0
The Falcon is an amazing gaming peripheral that has breathed new life into many of the games I play (It actually me CSS fun for me :D).

You should really allow these guys to get full Falcon support for your game. There has been many a day where I wished that RO had support for the Falcon.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been in contact with Tripwire through e-mail, but so far nothing to report. In the end, a colleague and I would be handling the majority of the implementation, we just need Tripwire to integrate some of the code that we've developed specifically for game implementations.

I am looking forward to trying to get support for this title, and hope I can work with Tripwire to do so =)

I used one of these at a gaming convention in seattle a few years back to play HL2 and i was thoroughly impressed at how much it increased the sense of immersion. this would compliment a realism based game like HOS perfectly.

sadly i wouldn't ever get to enjoy the product of implementing this with HOS since i can't afford a falcon but I'd like to see it happen regardless. From first glance I see why people think it might be difficult to aim, but it really isn't. it's just different. it's no different than being used to a mouse and trying out a console controller instead.

haptic1.jpg

also I think you'd have better luck pm'ing the devs as that may get a faster response considering how much traffic this forum gets.

OmarFW, thanks for the informative post and feedback on using the Falcon. Since you're a senior member of this community, send me a PM and I'll see if I can try and get you a good deal on a Falcon (If you're interested, that is).

Upvote 0
Wow, that thing is so huge it needs another desk to put it on. Maybe if they down size the piece of hardware it might actually get more clients.

Actually, it's the same footprint as a standard mousepad (maybe even a bit smaller), so it should fit on most setups just fine =)

I can't see myself using that for more than 15 minutes. Doesn't look like you can rest your hand/arm.

Admittedly, it takes some getting used to, but as long as you have an armrest for your elbow/arm to rest on, you will get used to it within a matter of days. I personally game on it for hours and leave my computer with no fatigue at all.

I have to say the falcon looks awesome, the recoil looks insane, I would like to see this in RO2.:)

It's definitely fun, both to develop for and to use in any games that we've gotten support in =) As for RO2, unfortunately I haven't received much of a response lately from Tripwire (they are busy I'm sure, which is understandable). However, even if Tripwire doesn't get back to me, I'm still going to work on getting RO2 up and running with Novint's F-Gen drivers, so there will definitely be support in some form for the Falcon :)

Reactions: {Core}Craig
Upvote 0