• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
The way I see it is, you can have all the content for free but if you chose to pay for it to support TWI and thereby further development of KF and RO:HOS you get the character skins as a little Thank You bonus that you can wear to show your support. Like some sort of badge but way cooler.

That's not how TWI put it, but it's the way I see it. Thus I will pay for the new content and gladly take the new characters I will receive and run around with one even if this in itself is not important to me in the least (the pullover arm that is holding the katana in the screenshot is really cool though).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah it's a great to see that in this way but in the other side a lot of people whined about that but still payed for.

So TWI want a piece of the cake, like everyone in the world of gaming now.

Just look CoD4, GoW 2, Fallout 3, and the best of the best =>prince of persia, where you should pay for the end.

But at least for us it's just *bonus* content for the eyes so we don't had to pay for real content (map, weapons etc..) that is really unacceptable.

Upvote 0
im glad they are fair and dont divide the community, just like with the majority of free MMORPGs out there, the paid content is really optional as it is a purely cosmetic change.

That being said I don't think I'll buy the new skins as they don't atract me that much, but I'll probably buy a future DLC if they add a chick =P

Upvote 0
first of all, i've gotta say this is great news -a new map, new weapons, new 'features' - and it's all FREE!

and secondly: upon first read i was like, wait a minute... they're going to give us the big stuff for free, and the cosmetic stuff is the paid part? obviously, from a business standpoint it struck me as odd, but then i realized why - it's odd because that's not what we're all used to seeing with the 'first advent' of 'DLC' - which, quite frankly has been worrying me, as it looked like 'DLC' would kill off the 'expansion pack' as we know it, then we'd start seeing more 'buy the locked content on the disk' types of tricks where devs 'actually' finish something and hold off on it so they can charge a few more bucks for it later on (when it's usually a piddly amount of content and not a fully-realized expansion, like say, brood war was for starcraft). and the last thing we all want is tricks like this.

that being said, my first reaction was :confused: but then, after a sec, it clicked, and I was like :), because you know what? I like this line of thought that TWI has and the way they do things. I like that they're not splitting the community, that the big stuff they promised in the past actually came out and is indeed free, and that cosmetic content is offered for fun but won't mess anything up for anyone. I like it so much that, even if certain other devs might charge for skins and I'd be like, 'meh, bump that', in the case of TWI, KF, and this update, I like it so much that I'm going to buy the skins anyway, and will convince my bro to do so - a badge of support, as another user put it in this thread.

As long as TWI does things this way, they can mark me down for a gaurunteed copy sold (or two, another for my gf to play with me) for all of their games in the future, and even paid updates. My bro feels the same way. Once again, TWI reminds me why they are one of my top favorite devs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, sorry everyone, but I will complain about the must-pay-to-use characters.

(Sorry for my bad english, spanish user here btw)

I have to admit that the skin it's maybe the best idea to include a "DLC" content to this type of game without getting too much anger from the community: It's just cosmetic, and will not give any kind of advantage to the players wich bought it, so yes, it can be like a "hey,Tripwire, good work, take some more money to keep doing good stuff and buying private airplanes :D"
That's a thumbs up for tripwire.

But, and that's the main point in my "hating this" text, looks like that there MUST be payed DLC, and all of us must smile and pay for it (or if we don't pay for it, smile and don't say nothing). I mean, what's the problem? You didn't get enough sales? It's the new fashion, sell wich some years ago was free? Why can't be used the Valve's TF2 model? Or even the Red Orchestra model?

Of course, we can't complain, as long as the "real" update it's free, but wich will be the next step? Everyone actually loves to pay for a map update, or for some new weapons -see the PS3/360 market. Obviously, in PC it's a harder market so you can't sell all that stuff directly, so lets begin with cosmetic changes, and maybe *sniff* maybe in four months we can sell them a new map, or a new weapon.
[joke]or even better, a sequel with few new stuff in it, like 5 campaings, new survivors, errr..[/joke]

When in consoles began the crappy fashion of the DLC, the reason given was "The secondhand market it's ruining us! We can't buy another Ferrari!", so if you want "all" the game, you have to pay. Where's the reason in Steam? My account it's mine, and it's chained to Mr.Newell's desires, so I can't sell it or use it to play with a friend. Why make new stuff and charge for it instead of giving the community the hability to do so for free? Quite ironic business model, given the origins of Tripwire.

I don't like the course the game it's taking. Today we have to pay to unlock content wich will BE in our game files wich it's only a skin, tomorrow, maybe, we have to pay for non-cosmetic stuff.
And I will not pay for that "DLC", because I've already payed for the game, and I don't want to pay an extra tax for every plausible future paid DLC.

I have to admit: I love the game. I bought it, and enjoyed it too much, even more than Left 4 Dead, even I started up a official thread about the game in a major spanish site (HL2Spain, if you understand spanish and want to take a look), but this announcement let me a bit dissapointed. I don't want to get in a spiral of new-stuff-that-you-can-see-but-can't-get in the game. I want to have my game, pay for it, and be able to use ALL the content.

btw, I will keep playing until a future paid DLC makes me really angry. And of course, company wich makes me angry, company wich will not see a euro from my wallet.
Good evening, gentlemen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course, we can't complain, as long as the "real" update it's free, but wich will be the next step? Everyone actually loves to pay for a map update, or for some new weapons -see the PS3/360 market. Obviously, in PC it's a harder market so you can't sell all that stuff directly, so lets begin with cosmetic changes, and maybe *sniff* maybe in four months we can sell them a new map, or a new weapon.

I don't like the course the game it's taking. Today we have to pay to unlock content wich will BE in our game files wich it's only a skin, tomorrow, maybe, we have to pay for non-cosmetic stuff.
And I will not pay for that "DLC", because I've already payed for the game, and I don't want to pay an extra tax for every plausible future paid DLC.

I wouldn't read too far into anything, that can make people go crazy. Just take the announcement as is without assuming it's some new trend in TW's updates =)

Upvote 0
I agree with [TW]Xienen. Don't read too far into it.

The consumer model is simple I think. If you find value (specifically entertainment value) in newly offered content, then it's probably worth something to you. The publisher sticks a price on it; it's up to you to decide whether you think it's worth that much to you. If so, buy it. If not, move on.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't read too far into anything, that can make people go crazy. Just take the announcement as is without assuming it's some new trend in TW's updates =)

The problem it's that when talking about companies, I assume evil alignment: Evil people-in-a-suit laughing in big tables with low illumination, thinking on how get more money from our pockets. And the bad new it's that I have a success rate of over 70% (tested. really. with real statiscians and stuff :rolleyes:). Having a little look at the current videogame industry, the DLC it's something SO common that thinking in a massive coming of it to PC it's -in my opinion- an easy logic exercise. Obviously, if a title has paid DLC planed, I will not bought it (it depends of course, I support good' old expansions), so I would not like to see paid DLC become "common" in KF.
Ey, one DLC, around 3$ (2.50

Upvote 0
(it depends of course, I support good' old expansions), so I would not like to see paid DLC become "common" in KF

I think paid 'DLC' scares a lot of PC gamers because on consoles, some of it is just "hey, pay $5-$10 for some extra skins" (pc gamers have been re-skinning things for a long time now on their own with SDK's), and they don't like that trend of the only 'continuation content' for games becoming sort of cheap-cash-in type stuff.

I think PC gamers more so like to hear the word expansion, which is more synonymous with full-fledged sequel-ish content (more complete 'campaigns', new 'stuff' (units, weapons, enemies, characters), graphical updates, new multiplayer functionality, etc. - which I think, for good games, legit PC gamers will glady purchase for the games they love

in short, as a PC gamer, when I hear the term 'DLC', I think of console-related cash-ins, but when I hear 'expansion', I think back to better days of PC gaming when an expansion was pretty a whole other game's worth of content, gauranteed to be similar to the experiences I had with the original game, and at a reduced cost since I bought the original game.

DLC = bad term, expansion = good term

otherwise, just call free new stuff an 'update' or 'included in patch' like the better days :p

Upvote 0
Answering a random set of points, with some other random points of my own, in a random order...

I don't think anyone in the office actually owns a suit. Even me. Actually, thinking about it, I think I still do. I just haven't seen it in a few years. I think my wife is keeping it to save on the expenses when they bury me.

Are we "evil"? Dunno. But we work in a church building, so go figure.

If your balls are blue, see a doctor, seriously. Or at least tell your g/f to STOP whatever it is she does that makes them blue.

Pirate with a parrot. Its a thought, isn't it? Well, I call it a "thought"... ;)

"gaurunteed" is actually spelt guaranteed. I know because I looked it up. And if the only way you can get your g/f to play with you is to buy her a copy of Heroes of Stalingrad, you may have a slight relationship issue.

And, finally, of course you can still love Tripwire even if you don't have money. Please just remember to love us when you DO have money!

Upvote 0