• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No Score = Better Gameplay?

King Ragnar

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2005
Newcastle, UK
Well it was Vet night earlier on the Full Metal Jacket Server, and they had the no score mutator which i must say made the gameplay alot better. Many of my clan members on TS thought so too. People were actually working as team and didnt care about caps or kills they only cared about winning as a team. For example on Konigsplatz we were axis and were losing on reinf with little time to spare, someone gave the order for retreat and people actually followed it and the axis won with more reinforcement in the end. I dunno wether it was the fact that it was all veterans that made the gameplay better, but the no score sure helped it in my opinion.

So i urge to all servers to enable the mutator as it improves teamwork 100%, it really does.

King Ragnar said:
Well it was Vet night earlier on the Full Metal Jacket Server, and they had the no score mutator which i must say made the gameplay alot better. Many of my clan members on TS thought so too. People were actually working as team and didnt care about caps or kills they only cared about winning as a team. For example on Konigsplatz we were axis and were losing on reinf with little time to spare, someone gave the order for retreat and people actually followed it and the axis won with more reinforcement in the end. I dunno wether it was the fact that it was all veterans that made the gameplay better, but the no score sure helped it in my opinion.

So i urge to all servers to enable the mutator as it improves teamwork 100%, it really does.
I don't see the point. Capping and killing is what wins games in the end, teamwork or not. You could have all the teamwork in the world, but if you don't capture locations and kill the enemy, you won't win. I still don't understand all the sour grapes about keeping score. If this were a deathmactch game, but it's not, I could see your point. Besides you gave the reason for the teamwork.."Many of my clan members on TS thought so too." You were playing with clan mates and you think that "no score" helped with teamwork? Uh...hello...isn't that was clans are for?

I'm still convinced everyone that has a problem with keeping "score", in a "game", are just jealous they aren't at the top of the list. Aren't people with high scores, by the virture of their high score, already helping their team win the game?????

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
I'm still convinced everyone that has a problem with keeping "score", in a "game", are just jealous they aren't at the top of the list. Aren't people with high scores, by the virture of their high score, already helping their team win the game?????

I've honestly never taken a second look at my score. I use the scoreboard to monitor reinforcements and see who is AFK.

Upvote 0
This thread should probably be in the "Ideas and Suggestions" forum.

Anyway, I agree with Truman on this one. It's a game. Score is important. As an analogy, all the traditional sports like football and basketball are team games, but they still keep track of the contributions of each individual player in order to figure out who the superstars are and where the dead weight is.

The problem is that Red Orchestra's scoring system is not really fair. I tend to be high on the scoreboard because I rush the objectives like mad. Caution has little place in my style of play. I try to outflank and outshoot the enemy rather than outsmart them. However, that's unfair to other players who are playing as support classes because they'll rarely get the 10 points for capturing objectives, even though they're an important part of the team. The worst has to be the sapper class on StalingradKessel. It's absolutely necessary for the Russian sappers to blow all the doors and walls in order for the Allies to win, yet the sappers get zero points for doing so. In the mod version of that map, I've actually finished the game with negative score because I blew the doors and my team rushed in and captured everything quickly, yet I lost points for a teamkill with one of my satchels.

The scoring system just needs to be reworked.

Upvote 0
Ugh... people, people, its called "difference of opinion". Depending on the players and the server a game can play differently but have the same outcome or vise versa. This is why multiplayer games are so interesting and entertaining, its different everytime you play. No two rounds play alike, theres simply to many variables, in a good game at least.

Upvote 0
King Ragnar said:
It wasnt just the teamwork it improved it improved the general gameplay as in there were not people cap whoaring or run and gunning, people actually defended and attacked properly.

What is "cap whoring"? Capturing points on the map is now considered whoring?

What is run and gunning? It's not "proper" to attack "running and gunning"?

Upvote 0
Arsenal said:
That right there is the best reason for no scores, 1 man striving to win the map for himself. Like when someone says "I Win" because they got highest score lol... how about the rest of the team lets you Rambo it and see if "You win" lol

So you would like to deny everyone a score because you don't like it that one person contributes MORE than his share to win a map?

If everyone was striving to "win" the map, why should you care what his score is?

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
I don't want to be a showstopper, but I think it was rather due to the game being the "Wednesday RO veterans night" rather than the fact that there were no scores...
A server filled up with 32 people who play in clans and use teamspeak generally gives teamplay quite a boost ;)

ROFL!

But if only you were wrong :p

(I did check my score less though, and therefore reduced my risk of dying due to ADD :D)

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
So you would like to deny everyone a score because you don't like it that one person contributes MORE than his share to win a map?

If everyone was striving to "win" the map, why should you care what his score is?

Because in many cases someone will not contribute to a team effort if they feel they can get a higher score otherwise. This is not the case as often in RO with it's scoring system as it is in other games.

Upvote 0
Arsenal said:
Because in many cases someone will not contribute to a team effort if they feel they can get a higher score otherwise. This is not the case as often in RO with it's scoring system as it is in other games.

How can you NOT be contributing to the "team effort", as you call it, if you are killing the enemy or capturing locations? This makes no sense!!!

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Teamwork != killing people and capping objectives

what the hell are you thinking!

Working as a team means KEEPING YOUR TEAMMATES and SELF ALIVE!

NOT

Running around shooting at people and trying to cap objectives.

But I have to shoot well to keep myself alive, don't I?
And how would I keep my teammates alive? How will it lead us to victory? I don't get it.

Do you, like, have special feelings toward avatars in a computer game? Do you play it not to win, but to experience some emotion toward a virtual character?

I better have somebody join me while I'm trying to cap the North Yard and nobody come to help me for 10 minutes after the wall was blown up, than look for some soulmate on a game server.

Upvote 0