• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No PS3 price drop.

I have the feeling that they aren't producing more Playstation 3's until this stock is being sold again.

However, even though it still is 600 euro's which is ridiculously overpriced, I still am considering to buy the new Resistance+Motorstorm+Extra controller PS3 pack.

Shame I couldn't care less for Motorstorm though.

Hopefully there will be a Killzone 2(+Extra controller) PS3 pack.

Upvote 0
It is a price drop, this jsut in

"SCEA has denied 'inaccurate' reports that its $100 price cut on the 60Gig PS3 is simply a move to clear stock before offering solely the higher priced 80Gig version.

A spokesperson for Sony in the US told Next-Gen, “"As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future."

Officials at Sony Computer entertainment Europe – including president David Reeves – had said that the US price would still be $599 because that would be the only model on offer once 60Gig stocks ran out. If true, this would have rendered the $100 price cut a virtually pointless gesture, meaning that PS3 had not been cut in price, but was simply being offered with extra memory and a bundled game.

SCEA has reacted with puzzlement to the European perspective, suggesting that there may have been an incorrect interpretation. The spokesperson said, “Those quotes [published by a UK-based game industry website] from David Reeves are not accurate. He said that if they had lowered the price in Europe, that territory would have run out of their current inventory by the end of July.”

Previously, a senior PR at Sony in London had backed Reeves statement, confirming that he had been talking about the US market, though the PR later distanced London from the remarks, telling Next-Gen, “I believe that is the plan, but SCEA has not formally made an announcement on any timeframe. As it affects the US you should confirm with SCEA.
”

SCEA subsequently denied the story entirely. However, questions will now be raised about the company's long term plans for the 60Gig version and for its $599 / $499 pricing strategy.
"

Upvote 0
I don't own a next gen console (although I might get one if my savings continue to shrink and I get impatient saving for a new PC), so could somebody tell me why you would need 80GB, or even 60GB for a console that presumably only plays games? Do the game save files really take up that much space? Surely they don't have you installing the games on the consoles HDD? And it's not like you would be installing much else on the HDD than game save files...maybe you could load in some JPEGs, MPEGs and MP3s if the console is built to allow such a thing (is it?), but even then I doubt it would take up 80 GB of space. WHY?

Upvote 0
And you need those things because it allows you to

a. Release a game before it's been finished and properly tested
b. Build up hype about your unfinished game

The problem with the new next gen consoles, is that they just want to be some sort of quasi-PC, but without the bother of having a PC. PC users usually being slightly geekier than your average console jockey.

Upvote 0