• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No new tank maps?

I was hoping for at least one new one with the update.
Oh well :(

I think a CA map would rock. But the Devs seem to be all for infantry maps.

If not a new map then the fallowing could use an face lift on them:

Barashka
Bondarevo
Ogledow

These maps could use some touch ups on the dirt roads that are on them. Right now they look like a kid painted them there with a brush and never added any gravle to it.

The rail road on Barashka could also be raised above the snow for added look and this was often done near rivers and sand pits to help keep the tracks above the water line.

Upvote 0
Remember guys, any of the community mappers here will tell you maps take time. We have tank and CA maps in the works, but they aren't ready yet.

Sweet. I like the CA maps. They seem, generally more realistic and fun. Any plans in the works for a map with infantry and ONLY armoured cars? ie: Sdkfz251, UC, and clown car... but only one clown car...

Upvote 0
Ogledow and Barashka imo are ok visually, but could do with a facelift, as they do look a bit bleak, but this can wait, as they look ok atm.

However, Bondarevo is a different case entirely. Imo that map is absolutely sickening to look at, and really doesnt compare in looks to any other map in the game. Either it needs to be completely redone, or removed, as it really is awful. It looks like it was rushed far to quickly, and that it was just added on as an extra right before release of RO to bolster the amount of maps in the first release.

Any way this map could look very nice with some time put in to make it more visually appetising, such as some more foliage, and maybe more atmosphere and the roads need to be completely redone, as they just dont look right, and look really bad at a distance.

However, im not to bothered, as i try to keep away from tank only maps, infantry maps are my faves, followed closely by the CA maps. These maps just look much nicer, and have tonnes more atmosphere, and imo play alot better.

I know you cant really compare tank and infantry maps, but just put bondarevo and danzig together in your mind, and you will see what i mean about the difference in detail, atmosphre and visuals

Upvote 0
However, Bondarevo is a different case entirely. Imo that map is absolutely sickening to look at, and really doesnt compare in looks to any other map in the game. Either it needs to be completely redone, or removed, as it really is awful. It looks like it was rushed far to quickly, and that it was just added on as an extra right before release of RO to bolster the amount of maps in the first release.

If you haven't mapped you need to realize that the longer the line of sight in a map, the harder the render engine has to work and you have to make trade-offs between eye candy and performance. ANY of the larger outdoor levels such as this are always going to skimp on the efx and details compared to smaller, urban-based maps. It is a technological fact.

Upvote 0
It's good but

It's good but

Berezina should get official status and be used as the model for future maps. Its so epic!

It's a great map, but....

The First and second defense lines have dead gound on the side facing the germans and perfect fields of fire toward the Russian side. Or to put it another way, if the ridges with the defense lines on them were slightly lower or the positions were better placed, the Lines would work better.

Upvote 0
I'm sure we'll be seeing both redone versions of the old maps and new CA/Tank maps in the future. I can live with this latest release not having any, especially given what TW staff have said -- namely that (a) they're working on it and (b) they didn't do it this time around because it'd require doing reoptimization (which I guess takes time). Better to get the patch taken care of and out while it's still fall and you can call it the Fall Booster than to drag on.

Danzig's a good map, too, and a welcome improvement to the original. It's a little hectic right now, but that's because half the people have never played it and don't know what to do and the other half have played it for years and DO know what to do. things will settle down in short order and it'll just be in rotation like the other maps.

Anyway, tight infantry maps like Danzig aren't so much my cup of tea either, but it IS a good map to add back in for those who do dig infantry. In the meantime, I'm sure the custom mappers will start working with the improved visibility options and will start putting out some serious long-range tank maps. And the devs will get us other tank maps eventually, so all will be right with the world. :)

Upvote 0