• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No more Axis/Allies

WH was only one part of the German forces...that would be really weird to say german Army versus Russian Army...it sounds as if they game is simplistic and cheap...I would actually like to see some female infantry for the Russians...I mean women play this game as well...

They had
LW
SS
KM
The Wehrmacht included all branches of the military. "Heer" translates to the German Army...

Upvote 0
WH was only one part of the German forces...that would be really weird to say german Army versus Russian Army...it sounds as if they game is simplistic and cheap...I would actually like to see some female infantry for the Russians...I mean women play this game as well...

They had
LW
SS
KM

The Wehrmacht included all branches of the military. "Heer" translates to the German Army...

yes and the SS was also not part of the Wehrmacht...

Wehrmacht = Heer (army) Kriegsmarine (navy), Luftwaffe (airforce)
Waffen-SS = combat branch of SS; not within the Wehrmacht

i like that it's Allies and Axis for the reasons Wilson gave regarding the easy ability to mod and not have to rename the opposing sides.

Reactions: Hausfeld
Upvote 0
+1

I don't understand that either...
+1 I don't understand it either ...

How hard is it for a mod to change the names of each team? Why should Tripwire make the names of the teams "compatible" with mods at all?

I don't understand the logic. In RO2, the Soviets are fighting the Germans. Period.

Upvote 0
In RO2, the Soviets are fighting the Germans. Period.

well what if they by chance have a free content update planned where they add in Hungarians, Romanians or Italians? Soviets vs. Germans is too specific and limits you to just those two factions. broadly labeling the sides as Axis and Allies enables you to not even have to worry about renaming the sides if you wish to add in more forces.....doesn't matter if it is or should be easy to do, because it's completely unnecessary if you just stick to Axis/Allies and then give unit descriptions as part of the battle overview.

Upvote 0
yes and the SS was also not part of the Wehrmacht...

Wehrmacht = Heer (army) Kriegsmarine (navy), Luftwaffe (airforce)
Waffen-SS = combat branch of SS; not within the Wehrmacht

i like that it's Allies and Axis for the reasons Wilson gave regarding the easy ability to mod and not have to rename the opposing sides.
Officially, you are right: The SS was the sister organization of the Wehrmacht. However, they resided under command of the OKW. Whatever the OKW told them to do, they did.

Upvote 0
I actually like to think they might add them in as part of an official update, but even if they didn't, i'd bet that somebody from the community will.
But is that really a reason to have such general names? I mean how hard is it to change that on a per-map basis? Given all the work they put into mapping and other detail oriented stuff, changing the name of an army for a particular map seems pretty damn rudimentary to me ...

Besides, we have no evidence that there will be major updates like that and even if there are, it won't be for a while.

Upvote 0
But is that really a reason to have such general names? I mean how hard is it to change that on a per-map basis?

well what exactly invalidates that as a reason? :confused:

as for how hard is it? well think about all the various core game files that share the same generic titles.....take a quick look around your system/textures/animations/sounds etc... folders and the SDK and you'll notice that "Axis" and "Allies" are used quite often. ;) it's got a lot more too it than just editing a map file. now what you can easily do on the map end is modify the map description, which means you could of course list specific units/nationalities etc... if TW or a mod team adds in more nationalities in the future, only requiring a simply change in unit/map description while keeping an all-encompassing, general title for the "side" is the easiest way to do this.

Upvote 0
GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!!
The FACT is that at the Stalingrad battle there were 2 armies-GEMRAN ARMY AND RED ARMY (SOVIET ARMY)
THE GAME IS RED ORCHESTRA HEROES OF STALINGRAD!
So the armies which fight must be Red army and German army!
SO SIMPLE!!!
AT darkest our name them like you want - US army vs GERMAN army or whoever fights.
That's why games are different.
Same is for darkest hour-There was no Red army at the west front was it???
Period.
PS: History is History and we cannot change it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!!
The FACT is that at the Stalingrad battle there were 2 armies-GEMRAN ARMY AND RED ARMY (SOVIET ARMY)
THE GAME IS RED ORCHESTRA HEROES OF STALINGRAD!
So the armies which fight must be Red army and German army!
SO SIMPLE!!!
AT darkest our name them like you want - US army vs GERMAN army or whoever fights.
That's why games are different.
Same is for darkest hour-There was no Red army at the west front was it???
Period.
PS: History is History and we cannot change it.

Only the German Army? What about the Luftwaffe? And yes, the German allies, Romanians and some Italians too?
Like said before it shouldn't be a problem to name them Wehrmacht and RKKA as mod teams should be able to easily change them into whatever army they want to have.
The political correctness thing is that current Germany is gay and has the wording "Wehrmacht" banned from games.
Best thing is I guess it should be a simple server mod which is released unofficially and who ever believes it's better to have no longer Axis/Allies can get this gimmick.

Upvote 0
I still cant agree that in HOS names should be axis-allies. In different battles the armies were different....
(if wehrmacht is banned then use the other word)
Lets hope that developers choose the historicaly correct names.

AND again do not forget- NO RUSSIANS
I have even seen documentaries on "history" which use the word russia for the USSR :eek:
I still laugh at some guys who use the word russian or russinas for the Soviet side...
I even think that these guys do not deserve to play such realistic game
Same for Nazi or nazists-not every soldier in the german army was a convinced nazi. As not every red army (soviet) soldier is convinced communist.
But this should not even be mentioned on these forums because of the large number of uneducated/manipulated/brainwashed kids which can't understand the truth.

Upvote 0
I just cannot accept that in RO 2 "teams" will be called Axis or Allies.

yet the war was fought by two great alliances, the Axis and the Allies, much like on the great war, the entente cordiale (or "allied powers") and the central powers.

History tells us something else, and it is silly to call Red army soldiers Russians
:confused: no one said anything about russians

Same for the so called axis-there will be no "axis" in Stalingrad
you can call them "wehrmacht", german soldiers, but not axis
excuse my "reducio ad absurdum" but... since there were division of the Heer that didn't fight on Salingrad the faction should be called "Heeresgruppe B" :troll:
Actually romanian, italian, croatian and hungarian troops fought during the siege, so "axis" fits the description.

there are no "SS" soldiers per se, they are members of the Waffen-SS :troll:
also, the NKVD barely fought as frontline troops :rolleyes:

BTW, the red army is equivalent to the Heer, the soviet equivalent to the wehrmacht is the Вооружённые Силы Союза Советских Социалистических Республик, Вооружённые Силы Советского Союза (soviet armed forces) :)

Reactions: RobfromEssex
Upvote 0