• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No more Axis/Allies

gvdgvdgvd

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2010
meaning:
1. Axis-Rome-Berlin-Tokyo.
Or unity between Italy, Germany, Japan (and satellites Romania for example)

Allies: USSR, USA, UK (and satellites)
Although USA and UK fight at the very last stage of the war, allies refers to these countries
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II[/URL]

I just cannot accept that in RO 2 "teams" will be called Axis or Allies.
History tells us something else, and it is silly to call Red army soldiers Russians, since they can for example be Georgian or ukrainian nationality; and the word used is soviet soldiers, red army soldiers, but not Russians
So what is USSR??
answer
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER SIZE)
you can see the slogan in 15 different languages, each for one state of the Soviet Union

Same for the so called axis-there will be no "axis" in Stalingrad
you can call them "wehrmacht", german soldiers, but not axis

Also Why in RO 1 there are SS soldiers for the german side and no NKVD for the soviet side?
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NKVD[/URL]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel[/URL]

:eek:

Reactions: LemoN
I don't understand what is the matter with Axis and Allies

There were Two sides, axis and allies xD
Axis countries were countries who fought for the Japan empire, for the III reich, and Italy... so you can include Romania Bulgaria etc

Allies were just all the countries who fought against..

I have to disagree with you, Axis and Allies are the best way to call soldiers... knowing that there were soldiers from different nationalities on each side (as you said !)

Upvote 0
Well he's right at some point. It wouldn't be wrong to have "RKKA" and Wehrmacht" in the first place. The problem is that when you want to include other armies you will have them still named "RKKA" or "Wehrmacht". IF it is possible to set up different names for each army included it would work.
Still it's just two armies at a time, one axis one allies.

Oh damn I just forgot, in the BRD "Wehrmacht" is an "evil" word that is not to be used in games. As Tripwire said they don't want to make a extra version, we can screw this idea right away. Otherwise we will end up just like CoD 5 were it's Rote Armee, Imperiale Armee, Marine Raiders and Deutsche (Red Army, Imperial Army, Marine Raiders and Germans.)
Horrible!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We use "Axis" and "Allies" for the simple reason that, given Rising Storm (as an a example - Darkest Hour, Mare Nostrum and Carpathian Crosses in RO1) it won't just be Germans vs Soviet. This way we also get the Americans, British, Canadians, Poles, ANZACS (and others) for the Allies, plus the Romanians, Japanese and others for the Axis.

As for "Russian" vs. "Soviet", this is actually one where we should use "Soviet", to be honest. Well aware of the mix of nationalities in the Soviet armed forces - as well as the plethora of languages. I've read that as much as 1/3 of the Red Army soldiers didn't even speak Russian. But this is a common (western) confusion!

Upvote 0
Well he's right at some point. It wouldn't be wrong to have "RKKA" and Wehrmacht" in the first place. The problem is that when you want to include other armies you will have them still named "RKKA" or "Wehrmacht". IF it is possible to set up different names for each army included it would work.
Still it's just two armies at a time, one axis one allies.

Oh damn I just forgot, in the BRD "Wehrmacht" is an "evil" word that is not to be used in games. As Tripwire said they don't want to make a extra version, we can screw this idea right away. Otherwise we will end up just like CoD 5 were it's Rote Armee, Imperiale Armee, Marine Raiders and Deutsche (Red Army, Imperial Army, Marine Raiders and Germans.)
Horrible!

Really? I only played the demo for that game , they really did that? Thats atrocious!

We use "Axis" and "Allies" for the simple reason that, given Rising Storm (as an a example - Darkest Hour, Mare Nostrum and Carpathian Crosses in RO1) it won't just be Germans vs Soviet. This way we also get the Americans, British, Canadians, Poles, ANZACS (and others) for the Allies, plus the Romanians, Japanese and others for the Axis.

As for "Russian" vs. "Soviet", this is actually one where we should use "Soviet", to be honest. Well aware of the mix of nationalities in the Soviet armed forces - as well as the plethora of languages. I've read that as much as 1/3 of the Red Army soldiers didn't even speak Russian. But this is a common (western) confusion!

I want every language spoken in the Red Army included in the game or I'm not buying it.

Upvote 0
I want every language spoken in the Red Army included in the game or I'm not buying it.

Hell, I want a "Borat" model to represent the Kazakhstanis (even though he doesn't look Kazakh at all), or I'm not buying a 2nd copy!

So in Russia (or anywhere in the former USSR), are these called "WWII" games or "Great Patriotic War" games?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hell, I want a "Borat" model to represent the Kazakhstanis (even though he doesn't look Kazakh at all), or I'm not buying a 2nd copy!

So in Russia (or anywhere in the former USSR), are these called "WWII" games or "Great Patriotic War" games?

The Russian version should be completely one sided towards the Russians, with all their vehicles painted red, and the Germany army should be portrayed as one big Lion.

Upvote 0
there'll be many instance of the word, not just in the ui, but probably all over the relevant codes.

and if you make a mod to represent another faction, the uniform and gear should be enough indication. having their specific faction title would be redundant, especially if you can texture the unit insignia on the uniform or something along those lines.

Upvote 0