• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No choosing the same advanced class twice in a row?

mamoo

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2009
East Sussex, England
My idea is that for the advanced classes (Sniper, Machine-Gunner, Squad Leader, Tank Commander) that you shouldn't be able to pick the same one two battles in a row. This would mean that the guy with the best computer wouldn't always get the sniper, or the MG. I know that some of the classes will be locked until a few minutes into the game but I think this could be an interesting alternative.

I'm not a clan player, but this would hurt that whole section hugely, as I imagine there are designated machinegunners and snipers and the like. Besides, why kick out a competent squad leader for an incompetent one? Bad idea, I think.

+1

I say we have "training" like America's Army had back in the day. If you want to play as a sniper, you have to hit a certain % of sprinting Germans at various distances, THEN you can get the role. I'd like for class selection then to last for a full minute before the game. Everyone who wants to be sniper (who has passed the training which should be HARD, so that the people who get it are actually good with it) clicks on it, and one is picked at random. Same for MGs, AT soldiers, SLs, etc.

Reactions: LemoN and Roland777
Upvote 0
+1

I say we have "training" like America's Army had back in the day. If you want to play as a sniper, you have to hit a certain % of sprinting Germans at various distances, THEN you can get the role. I'd like for class selection then to last for a full minute before the game. Everyone who wants to be sniper (who has passed the training which should be HARD, so that the people who get it are actually good with it) clicks on it, and one is picked at random. Same for MGs, AT soldiers, SLs, etc.

As long as this is a part of a fixed offline training course, I'm all for it.

One of the most maddenning parts of MW2 are the achievements with totally ridiculous prequisites, i.e dropping a supplycrate on an enemy, or killing someone through a wall by shooting their own explosive. Getting in those situations is nigh impossible without boosting.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0

I don't like that idea. As long player is doing good with his weapon and team approved it he should stay playing.

Also elite classes won't be available for guys with fastest PC, like it was in RO:O, but for 'best' players in 1st order. Read more about Hero/rank system, it was mentioned on this forum several times.

Upvote 0
One of the most maddenning parts of MW2 are the achievements with totally ridiculous prequisites, i.e dropping a supplycrate on an enemy, or killing someone through a wall by shooting their own explosive. Getting in those situations is nigh impossible without boosting.
I actually got the explosive thru wall achievement in MW1 :D. Not that hard once you realize that everyone who snipes in MW is a douche-nozzle who will camp and stand too close to their own claymores

Upvote 0
I'm neither for or against the idea at this point, but

- who is to say who is the best at any certain class?

- don't you think there might be several competent players for a certain class on a server at any one time?

- if so, why exclude those players, some might be better or only marginally less qualified. I mean, what if they joined in the middle of a round?

--------

If certain players meet the prerequites set up by TWI, then anyone who meets them should be allowed to play that class. Whether those classes should be rotated somehow... hmmm

Upvote 0
I'm neither for or against the idea at this point, but

- who is to say who is the best at any certain class?

Hero/Rank system gives opportunity to "best" players to pick elite/certain classes at round start.

- don't you think there might be several competent players for a certain class on a server at any one time?

- if so, why exclude those players, some might be better or only marginally less qualified. I mean, what if they joined in the middle of a round?

You're missing one fact. In one of the interviews John Gibson says that guy with rifle, if he's doing good during battle he gets temporary access to elite weapons. So game will decide if players gets specific weapon or not. Imo it's better solution for public games than what we can notice today on RO servers, where sniper has 4 kills and 5 other bolt player have 20+ when battle is over. Same thing with SL, who doesn't throw smoke grenades but is very happy for his SMG.

Upvote 0
Hero/Rank system gives opportunity to "best" players to pick elite/certain classes at round start...

Of course, I meant why should the SAME player keep that role every round* when others may qualify under that definition.

...You're missing one fact. In one of the interviews John Gibson says that guy with rifle, if he's doing good during battle he gets temporary access to elite weapons. So game will decide if players gets specific weapon or not. Imo it's better solution for public games than what we can notice today on RO servers, where sniper has 4 kills and 5 other bolt player have 20+ when battle is over. Same thing with SL, who doesn't throw smoke grenades but is very happy for his SMG.

I am well aware of that fact. My point was that I disagree with the posters saying the OP has a bad idea. It seems as if they think that the player in the previous round should keep their class in the next round because they suppossedly were the best and they are afraid a lesser quality player will take over that position. How can they assume that? On any given server you are likely to have a range of quality and experience among the players, that may have joined the server at any particular point during a map round, or the better qualified player may even have picked a role such as rifleman as his first choice.

*Usually a map can be played a number of rounds before it rotates to the next map where class selection starts all over again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I already made a suggestion in that direction:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=619733#post619733

I don't think people should be able to throw others out of a selected class.

The way it should work in my opinion:

At the beginning of the map, rank matters and a high ranking player can choose a class before everyone else, so with a waiting time of 30 seconds? he can throw out any player out of any class, if he has a higher rank. Higher ranked players should be grayed out for lower ranked players, if that class is full with higher ranks.

In mid game, you can apply for a queue for a selected class. If the person that has this class dies and someone is in queue for that class, he will not be able to respawn as this class. He must choose another one (or he has a queue running of his own). When the next person in the queue dies, he fills the queued slot or when runs to a rearming point, he will be able to switch to the queued class with a button and change his loadout for the queued one.

This should be toggleable serverside, so hosts can choose to ignore rank and go for a first come first serve routine right away. Also the queuing system could be optional, if host admins do not like the shuffling of players in their classes.

Good players will stay alive and keep the class occupied for a longer time, but everyone should have a chance at playing their favorite role, if the public server allows them to. People do not improve their skills from not playing a class.

There could be issues with teamkillers, trying to get further along the queue. Maybe people that are teamkilled, will not be removed from the queue, but keep the slot when they respawn.

Personally I find it a bit disappointing, going onto a server in RO:OST and only being able to select the riflemen class on a full server. :( Sometimes I think there are scripts that makes it possible for people to choose a class while connecting.

Upvote 0