• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New weekly suggestion: Scavenger

flashn00b

Grizzled Veteran
  • Feb 1, 2011
    Because weeklies are a thing again, I think it would be prudent to dig up an old idea of mine: A game mode that plays like standard survival, but instead of buying guns from the trader, you have to forage the map for guns and ammo. Maybe this would be a good way to balance it?

-Trader time is extended to 2 minutes and 30 seconds to give players a bit of breathing room to find new guns
    -All weapon and ammo spawns are active regardless of wave number
    -Higher tier weapons become more common as you advance through the waves, with Tier 2 weapons completely replacing Tier 1 stuff at the later half of the game
    -The Medic Pistol will count as a Tier 2 weapon once T1 weapons stop spawning, so as to guarantee the availability of a healing item
    -Players and weapons spawn with full ammo
    -During waves 9, 10 and 11, there is a very low chance for an instakill knife to spawn on the map

Instakill Knife
    Perk: Commando, Field Medic, Berserker, Support, Firebug, Demolitionist, Gunslinger, Sharpshooter, SWAT, Survivalist
    Primary Fire: Light Attack (58,275* Freeze damage)
    Alt-fire: Heavy Attack (58,275 Freeze damage)

*This should one-shot the Abomination on a 6-player HOE server. even with full armor

I think I remember that idea of yours. May explain why I thought about it as well when pondering some new weekly ideas myself.

I dig everything about it. I mean... I pretty much had the same idea so the opposite would be weird ! But I don't know about the instakill knife... I feel like it defeats the very purpose of the mod. Sure, it's still a risky strategy to go all LEROOOY JENKINS on a boss. But if you succeed, that's quite anticlimactic.

I personally thought about giving percentages to every tiers that changes as waves progress. For instance, at wave 1, you get a ridiculous amount of chance to find a T5 weapon (like 0,005% for example). At wave 10, it turns into 50%. Similarly, you have a 90% of chance finding a T1 at wave 1. At wave 10, it drops to 1%. I think it would be better, fairer and still challenging (as you'd still need to find a weapon catering to your perk... and if possible, a T5 gun for each of your teammates)

Upvote 0
    I think I remember that idea of yours. May explain why I thought about it as well when pondering some new weekly ideas myself.

I dig everything about it. I mean... I pretty much had the same idea so the opposite would be weird ! But I don't know about the instakill knife... I feel like it defeats the very purpose of the mod. Sure, it's still a risky strategy to go all LEROOOY JENKINS on a boss. But if you succeed, that's quite anticlimactic.
    I feel like an instakill knife would be fine since the mental image i have is that it'd have a 1% chance of spawning in the end game, so you really shouldn't incorporate it into your wave strategy. If in the off-chance you do see the instakill knife, it'd be a nice treat that you can enjoy once in a blue moon, but realistically, you'd have to play that weekly multiple times in order to even see it once.

Actually, would this be an agreeable spawning table?

Waves

Wave 1: Tier 1 weapons spawn 90% of the time, Tier 2 weapons 10% of the time
    Wave 2: T1 weapons spawn 50% of the time, T2 weapons 35% of the time, T3 15% of the time
    Wave 3: T1 40%, T2 30%, T3 25%, T4 5%
    Wave 4: T1 30%, T2 30%, T3 20%, T4 20%
    Wave 5: T2 50%, T3 25%, T4 25%. Tier 1 weapons no longer spawn*
    Wave 6: T2 40%, T3 30%, T4 30%
    Wave 7 and boss wave: T2 34%, T3 30%, T4 30%, T5 5%, Instakill Knife 1%

*HMTECH101 will count as a tier 2 weapon to make healing items more readily available

I just realized that the table i made 2 years ago was assuming a Medium game length rather than long. I'll likely have to rethink the numbers later down the line

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I feel like an instakill knife would be fine since the mental image i have is that it'd have a 1% chance of spawning in the end game, so you really shouldn't incorporate it into your wave strategy. If in the off-chance you do see the instakill knife, it'd be a nice treat that you can enjoy once in a blue moon, but realistically, you'd have to play that weekly multiple times in order to even see it once.

Actually, would this be an agreeable spawning table?

Waves

Wave 1: Tier 1 weapons spawn 90% of the time, Tier 2 weapons 10% of the time
    Wave 2: T1 weapons spawn 50% of the time, T2 weapons 35% of the time, T3 15% of the time
    Wave 3: T1 40%, T2 30%, T3 25%, T4 5%
    Wave 4: T1 30%, T2 30%, T3 20%, T4 20%
    Wave 5: T2 50%, T3 25%, T4 25%. Tier 1 weapons no longer spawn*
    Wave 6: T2 40%, T3 30%, T4 30%
    Wave 7 and boss wave: T2 34%, T3 30%, T4 30%, T5 5%, Instakill Knife 1%

*HMTECH101 will count as a tier 2 weapon to make healing items more readily available

I just realized that the table i made 2 years ago was assuming a Medium game length rather than long. I'll likely have to rethink the numbers later down the line
    I don't think a medium game is a problem, I just tend to count everything as a "long game" because that's what I use most of the time :p

But yeah, that seems fair enough. I guess it's also okay to have a low-spawning rate for T5 weaponry considering some perks don't even have one (and we played KF2 for a good while without them). And it would also make the instakill knife more desirable.

Upvote 0