• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New weapons are not 'sidegrades'

hipnox

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2010
I've seen the term thrown around as a way of dismissing the supposed impact of newly added weapons.

Like, the FAL. Both in stat's and functionalities, its pretty close to the SCAR.

You might be saying to yourself :

"but if it looks like a SCAR, has the pretty much the same atributes as the SCAR and cost aproximately the same as the SCAR, then it's existence has little to no impact on the game"

And you would'd be right.. on most games. Not on KF. That's because KF doesn't work on a slot system, it uses an inventory. There isn't a choice between one weapon OR the other. You can have BOTH.

This essencially allows KF players to do something they couldn't do before: Use two of the same weapons.

With these so called "side gears", KF players can now, for example:

> Pack 2 AKs (AK // M4 // Tommy Gun // STG44)
> Pack two pump shotguns ( Pump // HSG // Combat Shotgun )
> Pack 2 HandCannons ( HC // Revolver and their dual versions )
> Pack 2 Scards (SCAR // FAL )

Am i the only one that sees this? am i crazy for thinking that sidegears, in this game, hurt balance?

This essencially allows KF players to do something they couldn't do before: Use two of the same weapons.

With these so called "side gears", KF players can now, for example:

> Pack 2 AKs (AK // M4 // Tommy Gun // STG44)
> Pack two pump shotguns ( Pump // HSG // Combat Shotgun )
> Pack 2 HandCannons ( HC // Revolver and their dual versions )
> Pack 2 Scards (SCAR // FAL )

Am i the only one that sees this? am i crazy for thinking that sidegears, in this game, hurt balance?
First off, commando is truly about the only perk whose weapons have similar or exact attributes.
2 AK's, AK and MKb-42 and 2 Scars, Scar and FN-FAL.
The two AK's are marginally different in their recoil, spray, price and ironsights.
Scar and FN-FAL have all those above same differences, but also including a difference in RoF as well as a completely different looking (type) of scope.
The Tommy gun is different enough (mostly, more powerful than) from the bullpup to where they don't compare entirely. The tommy gun also sits between the AK | MKb-42 and M4 in its attributes.
All the options are just that, options. There is enough different between them to make distinctions and have different preferences among players. Damage alone is not exactly a good way to say two weapons are 'the same'.

However, any other example you listed is almost off the wall, except the Shotgun to Combat shotgun example. Their only similar attributes are damage. Their ironsights are different, their RoF and reload rate is different. They're slightly comparable, but like the above, different enough to where there is a distinction in play style, not just price. Also, your listing includes the HSG (I'm guessing you mean the HSG-1), which isn't similar to the shotgun or combat shotgun at all.

The HSG-1 has lower damage, higher (or lower, firemode) accuracy, is magazine reloaded and has a different RoF. It also has double the amount of mag size than does the combat shotgun. It is not comparable to the other two at all other than the fact its a shotgun.

Finally, the hand cannon and revolver. There are just so many differences between these weapons that I don't see how you could group them as 'sidegears'. I can't see what you call similar or exactly the same between these two. Care to point it out.

In addendum, most all the weapons of similar kinds have different weights, which also separates them.

It doesn't hurt balance, it gives players more options and allows for a more diverse play style. There is nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Upvote 0
Most of the weapons you listed above as sidegrades are roughly equivelent of each other, but with exception of the SCAR/FnFAL, none of them are top-tier weapons.
And yes, you could take two mid-range weapons which're sidegrades, but this would mean you'd be missing out on a top-tier weapon instead.

The problem comes about when used to describe some of the new weapons (buzzsaw? sidegrade to WHAT?)

Upvote 0