• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Weapon Idea: Sonic Siren Screamer (S3)

Mister Master

Oct 11, 2020
We have the Husk Launcher from the Husk, the Gore Shiv from the Gorefast, the Battleaxe from the Abomination, and even the Mine Reconstructor from the Bloat. What if we had a sonic weapon taken from a Siren?

Introducing the Sonic Siren Screamer, or S3 for short, which is a device that unleashes the deafening music of a Siren upon both Sirens and other Zeds alike. This weapon works off a battery to power a sonic amplifier device commonly found in the Siren's throat. The short ranged, frontal-area blast has a very wide area of effect and deals moderate damage, but it also dishes out a massive amount of hit power while slowing Zeds down. In addition, it can neutralize Husk projectiles and E.D.A.R. Bomber rockets. Alternate fire utilizes the Siren's vortex attack seen in VS mode and actually pulls Zeds toward the weapon, but it also immobilizes them momentarily. This could be a tier 2 Survivalist weapon.

As the noise marines once said : SO SWEET CACOPHONY

I know that we threw around a few extra weapons made out of zed parts/capabilities... I believe a "survivalist" rework had a similar principle, where he would only use zed parts, in a "fight fire with fire" scenario. However, I believe most of them would actually be quite iffy or too similar to what we already have (someone proposed a gorefast blade... but would it be different from the katana or zweihander? A scrake chainsaw...But would it be different from the eviscerator alt fire? And so on)

However, I can't recall anyone thinking about sonic weaponry. Maybe as a grenade? But surely not as a cannon of some sort.

While I would have thought of it as a high-ranged, high-damage weapon (again, inspired by the noise marines!), I believe your idea is both more interesting and more fitting. Making it a survivalist gun/tool is also very wise.

Simple suggestion however : I believe it should produce ultrasounds in order to avoid griefing. I can already picture trolls using that weapon just to piss off other players. And even if done unwillingly, hearing a constant siren scream would be awful. Thus, making the weapon "fire" sound waves that are too high-pitched for a human to hear would be perfect... and would make sense for the zeds to be more sensitive to it.

(And I guess some quirky modders would probably make it blast "All Star" by Smash Mouth anyway)

Reactions: Mister Master
Upvote 0
I love the idea of it already. I was thinking of how the gun would look, but there's already heavy inspiration from what I thought of originally, and its from none other than Doom with their plasma cannon.
1610734862362.png
The HRG and HMTech stuff just feels like toy guns, but what I loved about the Mine Reconstructor and the Husk Cannon is that it very much felt like "prototype" weaponry, and the Sonic Discombobulater (what I like to call it) is right at home with a design like this.

Upvote 0
Simple suggestion however : I believe it should produce ultrasounds in order to avoid griefing. I can already picture trolls using that weapon just to piss off other players. And even if done unwillingly, hearing a constant siren scream would be awful. Thus, making the weapon "fire" sound waves that are too high-pitched for a human to hear would be perfect... and would make sense for the zeds to be more sensitive to it.
I completely agree on the sound aspect, though it will need something to indicate it is being activated. Maybe a sucking sound or less shrill version of the Siren scream will be good?

Sonic Discombobulater
I love it. That's the new name.

Upvote 0
I love the idea of it already. I was thinking of how the gun would look, but there's already heavy inspiration from what I thought of originally, and its from none other than Doom with their plasma cannon.
View attachment 2335913
The HRG and HMTech stuff just feels like toy guns, but what I loved about the Mine Reconstructor and the Husk Cannon is that it very much felt like "prototype" weaponry, and the Sonic Discombobulater (what I like to call it) is right at home with a design like this.
I also dug the design of the plasma cannon. It's the perfect mix of classic 80s cheesy designs and stupidly powerful-looking. I actually find the Mine Reconstructor to look more "cobbled together", somewhat similar to the base kit of the Zerk (back when everyone thought he would be some sort of "McGyver perk"). I agree about the husk cannon though, and I also love the design of both of these weapons (as well as the Helios Rifle and MWG)

By comparison, I find the HRG weapons very bland-looking. I know it was done in order to be able to churn out new weapons quicker and easier, but as some of them are actually quite clever and/or fun to play with (I freaking love the buckshots and the kaboomstick ! ), you'd think that they would deserve a proper design to get along with it. Even if it's a bit less polished compared to the DLC weapons, like with recycled animations or less details. Or at the very least... Allow us to use skins on such weapons.

Going back to the Sonic Discombobulater (that's a mouthful for someone who's mother tongue is not English !), I actually thought of it more of a "minigun" but with a big amp at the tip of the "barrel", maybe linked to a backpack containing cables or even (just for the sake of it !) pockets full of CDs and stuff !

As to answer to Mister Master : of course yeah. I guess it could "rumble" almost as if it was bass-boosted. Like just a deep and fat bass line going "boomph, boomph, boomph, boomph" as it pumps up the volume.

• Love
Upvote 0